It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concensus of recent ATS problems going unnoticed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Are these recent problems going unnoticed? Or are you guys overwhelmed? Or just not seeing it? I don't know the reasons, and I debated on even starting this post, but after bringing up the notion in chat, I was somewhat surprised that I'm not the only one thats noticing all these problems.

Repeat Threads

What's the deal? You guys used to shut threads down within a few hours if they were a repeat. Some of these threads popping up are complete "rehash" of a subject we thoroughly debated in pass threads.

I'm not sensing any new "angles" in these threads. They are complete repeats. Can we stop this?

Trolling, Hijacking

I use the word trolling lightly here, but the highjacking of threads seem to be getting out of hand. Can't you guys implement a set of rules that will prevent subject changes? I especially would like to draw your attention to the recent Terrorism/Cartoon protest threads for several examples. Everyone of them start out fine, with a point and a subject, and they all end up with ill researched blabber about who's right and who's wrong.

Start a new thread for the Who's right and Who's wrong.. christ.

Knowingly Posting False Information

Come on now, these jokers are getting the most hits too! ATS needs to develope a "Put up or Shut up" TOS addition. You either present your argument, prediction, alien encounter, whatever and supply all the needed research information in your first few posts, or you don't post anything at all.

We don't need anymore golden threads or Serpo madness that take us all for a ride backed with promises of facts, to only be greated in the end with a lack of facts and a twisted and derailed argument.

Put up or shut up.

Lack of Moderators?

I've personally seen some very controversial "name calling" and "political sniping" in alot of threads. Are you just too overwhelmed to curb the putdowns and thread derailments? Or are you becoming apathetic to it and aren't noticing it anymore?

Flame Me Not Disclaimer
I have no personal motive here. Think what you will, I don't participate on ATS enough to "be apart of the family", but I've been visiting this site daily for almost 3 years now and this very recent lax in moderation has caught my eye.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I have to agree with most of the issues you raise....The repeat threads issue has gotten WAY out of hand....

Are the MODS working on some special project?

[edit on 21-2-2006 by loam]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
Lack of Moderators?

I've personally seen some very controversial "name calling" and "political sniping" in alot of threads. Are you just too overwhelmed to curb the putdowns and thread derailments? Or are you becoming apathetic to it and aren't noticing it anymore?

Before I go to bed, I just have to say:

If you see such name calling and no mod in the thread then use the gripe button. Let us know Do you see how many posts get made here each day? We can't see every single one of them, or every single exchange, no matter how hard we try, and we DO try.

We need your help to make the board a better place, whether it be by raising the standards with quality posts, research, civility, as well as pointing us in the right direction to a problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Everyone of them start out fine, with a point and a subject, and they all end up with ill researched blabber about who's right and who's wrong.

I've noticed this myself. Maybe it is some bizarre phase of the moon where everybody's readin' cell shuts off in their brains. That's all I can figure. It's freakish.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
A lot like Parrhesia said...moderators are not gods. This is a huge forum, and unless the 'standard' members watch out for problems, it's nearly impossible to globally enforce rules.

But, I do tend to agree in a sense with you, QuietSoul. Perhaps the election of some more mods is in order?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
You are absolutely right, Par... We all have to help on these issues.... There does, however, seem to be an up-tic in all of the items Quietsoul mentions.

The repeat threads are the worst....
There must be four or more on the UAE/ports issue alone...

And dare I mention Cheney?????

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
You're all wrong! Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

No, really though... We're people too. Okay, three of us are people, the rest are aliens, government agents, computer programs, or a combination. We do miss things though, so if you happen upon something, definitely let us know. Either send in a gripe or u2u a mod of the forum and things will be sorted out right away.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Question to quiet soul everybody:

When you talk about repeat threads are you talking about two or more threads on the same subject AT THE SAME TIME or are you talking about repeat threads from the past.

As a newbie, I am certain that there are really interesting threads that I probably could not find from the past that probably are being repeated by other newbies today. No I have not started any threads, but certain subjects, like UFO videos/pics, science subjects, etc. are constantly changing and therefore would justify a rational way to add to them/repeat them with different people.

Off subject: Vallhal, Happiness is a warm cow? Are you kidding? We have young bulls here without horns I wouldn't want to get close to. Trust me on that one. I cannot run faster than a bull.

[edit on 2/21/06 by dogberts not]

[edit on 2/21/06 by dogberts not]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
repeat threads... they happen from time to time.

sometimes you get several on the same thing over a few days or weeks, or over a span of months and years.

We do try to curb the repeating threads especially if there is a current and active discussion going on. Sometimes there isn't and we'll let the new one continue. Sometimes they are different forums touching on different aspects of the same thing.

Regardless we do clean up around here from time to time, some of us do daily cleaning, some of us clean when we need to and some of binge clean on weekends, just remember that while you may say we're not curbing the repeaters enough, many others will say that we're censoring them or cite their opinions of why their threads should be allowed.

so basically just go with flow, if you see an obvious problem, u2 one of us or sent a complaint on whatever the ongoing problem may be.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Good points QuietSoul.

I may have just recently registered, but I have been lurking for quite a while and I have noticed a spike in trolling, hijacking and posting false info, especially with regards to the cartoon/muslim issues. In fact I've noticed many who registered simply to troll on that particular issue.

I admit, I registered to participate in discussions pertaining to that issue, but only to input a muslim voice into the discussion. There has been a lot of speculating and guessing on what we muslims really think, so I thought it'd be useful to input my point of view as a muslim as well.

At any rate, my point is the hijacking with false information is rampant on ATS at the moment, and it's being done by the same group of individuals. I would complain, but there not overtly breaking any of the T&C. I would confront them with the facts, but tomorrow when I login again they've steered the discussion to another point and repeated their false assertions from a different angle. I simply don't have the time to keep on pointing out these fallacies.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Repeat Threads

What's the deal? You guys used to shut threads down within a few hours if they were a repeat. Some of these threads popping up are complete "rehash" of a subject we thoroughly debated in pass threads.

I'm not sensing any new "angles" in these threads. They are complete repeats. Can we stop this?

Yeah, QuietSoul, I know what you mean. I started a thread that touched on this the other day, basically suggesting that there be a short probationary period before people could post. That would encourage new members to actually take a look at the threads that are already here. However, everybody ganged up on me...and I'm not being overly-sensitive, see for yourself if you want: www.abovetopsecret.com...'

The thread was eventually closed, but the overall idea of the responses was, bluntly, stop b!tch!ng. So, I decided not to make any more suggestions.

I'm sorry for the language, and if mods want to edit, feel free.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The only difference in now and a year ago is the increase in members and traffic.

I bet per percentages that the amount of trolls is the same, per members.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
Perhaps the election of some more mods is in order?

Excellent idea. The mods here do a good job, but they have
lives outside of ATS and so they can't be everywhere all the time.
Are more mods needed ... or isn't that the 'councelor's' jobs?

Also - perhaps an 'automatic U2U' to new
members telling them about the search function.

Yesterday yet another thread about 'the rapture' was
started. I did a search and came up with at
least 10 or so threads that had already discussed it to death.
I posted a link to one of the longer ones for the person to go
and read/comment on.

SEARCH ... it has to be used and taught.

GRIPE button ... use it. I only just started. I didn't want
to. A supermod encouraged me to use it when I saw
bag tags etc. ... so I have been and to the credit of the
mods there have been INSTANT results when I did use it.

MODS - Thanks for straightening out that rape = 'loving'
and rape = 'getting it on' garbage! I haven't been that irked
in a long time. (I still am .. this will take a while to calm down).
Excellent decisive and quick response to the gripe button!

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Trolling, Hijacking

I use the word trolling lightly here, but the highjacking of threads seem to be getting out of hand. Can't you guys implement a set of rules that will prevent subject changes? I especially would like to draw your attention to the recent Terrorism/Cartoon protest threads for several examples. Everyone of them start out fine, with a point and a subject, and they all end up with ill researched blabber about who's right and who's wrong.

Start a new thread for the Who's right and Who's wrong.. christ.

I'd like to address this one. We can be pro-active here and it isn't that hard to do. Ignore the trolls, no names needed folks, we all know who we're talking about. If you don't take the bait they're pretty toothless. I've seen it happen and it's hillarious. A discussion will be ongoing and one of them keeps trying to jack the thread but no one's buying and it's like a child in the middle of nowhere jumping up and down trying to get attention. Sweet.

As to the rest I've said many times, the Gripe button gets the attention of ALL the staff. If you want something more personal, u2u any of us. Just remember that we all have lives and can't always get right to things.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Knowingly Posting False Information

ATS needs to develope a "Put up or Shut up" TOS addition. You either present your argument, prediction, alien encounter, whatever and supply all the needed research information in your first few posts, or you don't post anything at all.

We don't need anymore golden threads or Serpo madness that take us all for a ride backed with promises of facts, to only be greated in the end with a lack of facts and a twisted and derailed argument.

Put up or shut up.

While I didn't follow the 'Golden Chip' thread at all, and thereby shouldn't comment on it, I did and still do take an interest in the development of the serpo madness.

And serpo is an excellent example for discussing what you are saying. Suppose that ATS decided any thread concerning it is to be sent to the garbage can primarely due to the fact that "all the needed research information" was not included in the first post (which definately wasn't).

By that same standard, ALL ufo related material would be discouraged, as would crypto-zoology, religion, hollow earth theories, etc. ATS would wind up with zero debate because all threads would begin only with facts, and facts are inherently non-negotiable.

Having a tougher regime for starting threads is dangerous, IMO, in that babies get tossed out with the bathwater. One of the better attributes of this place, for me, is to read radical new stories as they emerge from 'off the wall' sources, like Pravda or India Daily, and see them sink or float through the efforts of intelligent debate.

ATS is a special place...very different from other boards which have similar content. I'd like to think our members can post ideas and stories here and see them be debated sensibly and with civility...because the intelligent examination provided here is focussed on the material and not the poster.

Such civility as is shown on these boards was not an easy thing to come by...it took quite a bit of work by the moderators to establish. Maybe we do need more mods, but, I think what they have accomplished is nothing short of amazing when you compare ATS to other leading conspiracy boards.

I think we should allow members to tentatively put forward those radical, unproven, off-the-wall stories and ideas. It's grist for the ATS mill.
------------------------------

BTW...what is a 'bag tag'? I've got an idea, but perhaps itr should be explained.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Threads like these are very valuable to us as moderators, and we certainly appreciate your taking the time out to put this together QuietSoul, as well as the responses from everyone else…

As others have mentioned…Modding forums of this size can only be done in a group effort – Only certain people can click those special “warn” buttons, but everyone can click the gripe/help button, and that’s a surefire way to be heard instantly…

If you see a problem going down in a thread, give us a brief description and a link…We’ll all see it and as a result, through our teamwork, someone will get down to business on it…

Like Intrepid said though, we’ve all got other things going on in our lives just like the next person, and can’t get to everything lickity split…I know that’s obvious, but it’s simply an important factor that often gets overlooked when you’re waiting on a response….Even myself - I’ve been dormant on ATS these past few months just b/c so many other things have been going on…Hopefully I haven’t neglected anything as a result of my busy schedule….

Nonetheless - Perhaps a fresh round of mods is in order…But - That’s not a decision we get to make…

All of these things aside, I think ATS has been holding up quite fine – Exceptionally well in fact, and with frequent quality input like this that keeps us on the up-and-up, I think you can expect at least our commitment to member satisfaction to remain a constant

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
One thing that everyone should keep in mind is the balance that we try to acheive here.

Yes repeat threads can definitely be annoying, but it's hard to have a policy completely forbidding them because sometimes there is a legitimate reason to have a second one. Maybe the first was hijacked, maybe there's a new perspective on an older topic, etc. I'm not saying always, but sometimes that does occur.

Trolling, on the other hand, has definitely become harder to deal with. You're absolutely right. But that's not because of busy mods, that's because of a new breed of troll. It's real easy to slap someone with a warn, or a post ban when they write obscenities, harass someone openly, post offensive images, etc. That's the easy part. But there's been a new breed of troll as of late: the troll who comes to disrupt backhandedly. The troll who baits good members and ends up getting them into trouble instead of himself. The troll who antagonizes staff and members alike and when confronted busts out a Nancy Kerrigan-esque "Why Me???" speech. That troll is much more dangerous, because he is contagious. People buy his "Why me?" speech, and jump along for the ride.

The key here is NOT only the mods. You can hire 180 mods and still the work would not all be done. The key is the members. When someone is acting in a way that just isn't rubbing you the right way, don't contribute to the pile, because an ignored troll is a dead troll. Someone won't troll if they won't get reactions.

I admit, I've been guilty of that myself in the recent past, but that was not as a "moderator" that was as an offended member to someone attacking ATS. Nonetheless, as strong as I felt my arguments were, I was only making him stay longer, and I certainly apologize for that.

I think the best thing for trolling hijacked threads is to pretend they aren't there. Make believe the guy didn't say anything at all. If you all stay on topic he will leave. No doubt about it. Then just let one of us know, either a u2u, or the gripe button, and we'll pull that one ratty off topic post out and toss it in the bin.

Mods, supers and admins all serve important purposes on ATS, no question. But the most powerful group in this community is members. Please consider what I'm saying, and work with us to immunize ATS from the Troll Flu.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Nonetheless - Perhaps a fresh round of mods is in order…But - That’s not a decision we get to make…

Maybe so, EOH...but I think you're all doing a very good job as it is.

I don't envy the moderator position...you have to be attentive to everything that's going on in your assigned forum while we lucky members can happily cherry pick just the stuff that's interesting to us from across ATS/BTS/PTS.

The civility which prevails here now is because of your hard work. It isn't easy to do your job and anyone that thinks it is would be surprised if they ever took it on.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think the mods are doing a good job of moderating the threads I've been involved in. The problem, as I see it, is that there are so many threads started each day and they can't all get read by the mods. so, some threads go unnoticed perhaps. The larger, serp-like threads will garner more attention and will, presumably, get more moderating. That mosntrousity serpo thread was rather well moderated and the civility was in check.

I do think that allowing a thread to grow to biblical proportions based on nothing more than stories is annoying at times but the end result is that you can't shut them down simply because there's no proof. If the topic is so ridiculous, the thread will die on its own (the people on tv with demon eyes?). If the thread has legs (Serpo, gold chip woman etc), it will continue for as long as the information (loosely used term there) provides chat fodder. If the thread is going nowhere but growing based on serp-like back and forth, perhaps moving it to fiction or a designated area that deems it to be "without proof" until the content provider does what the masses wants and gives some actual evidence.

A put up or shut up area? It might work

lastly, quietsoul, I started this exact same thread two days ago so don't complain about the repeat threads. just post in my thread at www.I'mkidding.com

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Regarding the repeat threads...
Major issue... and getting worse... IMO that this is the most important of Quiet souls points...

it gets us all on the same page, both literally, and symbolically...

regarding trolls... Djarums and I have had a rather good example of that of late...
when someone attacks ATS or trys to Bait... take it from us... leave it alone...

If you feel that you have presented many facts that support your arguement, and are not getting ANYWHERE with the troll, then see him/her for what the are... just a troll...

and yes, some trolls have been rather good lately... I would suggest maybe professional...

the names dont really bother me, as people seem to ignore those anyway... or at least after making their "sticks and stones" comment, these are usually ignored... and they don't seem to affect the ability for discussion as much as other issues...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join