It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If this is GW Bushs attitude towards the UK....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
1) The UK stood with him in both Iraq wars.

2) we are a democracy with good military and Intelligence links with the US.

3) We allow US nukes on our soil for rapid deployment ( Fairford )

4) We would never instigate religious war with the USA.

I find Bush's attitude to the UK in this script demeaning and such a snub to the UK its not possible to word it... After all we have done to make G W look good and let him know the Americans have an allie in us here in the UK......

Read his words on the Port sale......

news.yahoo.com...

Were now in the same class as an Islamic hot bed... George george george....
wtf?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This is quite disappointing to read, but bear in mind that it is just political talk and that the majority of Americans thank and praise the UK (from my experience only of course)

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This?:

"I want those who are questioning it to step up and explain why all of a sudden a Middle Eastern company is held to a different standard than a Great British company," Bush said. "I am trying to conduct foreign policy now by saying to the people of the world, `We'll treat you fairly.'"

"This is a company that has played by the rules, has been cooperative with the United States, from a country that's an ally on the war on terror, and it would send a terrible signal to friends and allies not to let this transaction go through."

I'm as happy to dump on Bush as anyone here, believe me, but I don't see this as a dis to the UK. He has a point. If we want to defeat the fanatical Islamists, we're going to need the moderates (like the UAE, known as the best place in the ME to find a topless beach) in our corner. Forging economic ties is one way to do this. Screwing them out of a business opportunity just because they're Arabs is not going to prove helpful...

[edit on 2/21/06 by xmotex]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

"I want those who are questioning it to step up and explain why all of a sudden a Middle Eastern company is held to a different standard than a Great British company," Bush said. "I am trying to conduct foreign policy now by saying to the people of the world, `We'll treat you fairly.'"

Is this what has you flaming? Although I agree that this deal should not go through I don’t think that we should automatically reject bids by Arab companies for the sole reason that they Arab in origin, that's just not right.

And I don't see this as a snub to the UK, if you know anything about US attitude toward the UK you would know that we appreciate and are thankful for the steadfast support the UK has given us through everything.

EDIT: Ah, you beat me to it xmotex.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You're creating a scandal where there is none. I think the President's own words clarify the issue.

"I can understand why some in Congress have raised questions about whether or not our country will be less secure as a result of this transaction," the president said. "But they need to know that our government has looked at this issue and looked at it carefully."

"This is a company that has played by the rules, has been cooperative with the United States, from a country that's an ally on the war on terror, and it would send a terrible signal to friends and allies not to let this transaction go through."

news.yahoo.com

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I think the others that have posted sum up my view as well.

The UAE are definitely NOT a terror concern... They are as against radical Islam as we are. We should not discriminate against a nation or company just because it's owners are arab.

That said, I am against the sale because I think our ports should be American owned. So in my mind, they have as much a right to it as England - NONE!

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
U.A.E Refuses to reconise Israel as a soverign state. Supports Iran in its nuclear games. Money launderers to terrorism. You still think that comparing them to the UK isn't a snub to us?

www.foxnews.com...

And yes, I do know that the UAE has handed over suspects to the US, but i also know it was complicit in helping pakistani nuclear secrets getting to Iran.... Gee whizz GW you sure are a nice friend..... glad we don't have more like you.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
With respect to american members I've seen a...worrying change in policy to us britons by the american government. I mean look at the JSF project...GWB canceled our engine contract AFTER our priminister asked him not to.

Is that the act of an ally?

I hold america with respect and am glad we're a close ally but I get the feeling that GWB is not seeing us as the ally we once where.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I am from UK & me & mostly everyone I know thinks about GWB in negative terms.
Means nothing in the big picture of things as he & our Tony are both Bildergerg Group; the high Priests of Globalisation.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Primary Mover
I am from UK & me & mostly everyone I know thinks about GWB in negative terms.
Means nothing in the big picture of things as he & our Tony are both Bildergerg Group; the high Priests of Globalisation.

Umm mover whats the big deal with tony being in that group? He has no real power.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
$ 1.8 billion dollars worth of contract was wiped out by G W Bush, and for no apparent reason. We then get shut out of the high tech end of the JSF program and have to threaten to cancel the program because of the lack of trust and respect from the US.

And now after G W and Co have had their war, got their oil, removed saddam, the UK can go fly a kite as far as that administration is concerned.

I just for the life of me cannot see where this attitude is coming from or going to go.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
You still think that comparing them to the UK isn't a snub to us?

I dislike Bush as much as anyone, but that was NOT a snub. If anything it was a compliment. He used the UK in the context of being our closest ally, at least I see it that way. He was trying to make his trust of the UAE very clear by making the comparison, whether that trust is justified or not, I have no idea. But I think it was kind of like saying you trust somebody as much as your own family, the UK being our family. Do you get what I'm saying?

top topics

join