It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo Bans Allah in screen names

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Does this seem odd to you? Comparing the list of allowed words to the list of disallowed, there are much worse things tha could be banned.

Banned Words:
# allah
# binladen
# osama
# raghead
# yahoo
# security
# admin

Allowed Words:
# god
# messiah
# jesus
# jehova
# yahweh
# savior
# buddah
# quran
# koran
# mohammad
# islam
# usama
# nazi
# satan
# devil
# jihad
# terrorist
# suicide
# murder
# kill
# priest
# pedophile

I wonder if this is just the beginning, or if they've gone over it, and feel that some names are more disturbing than others, and need to be censored, like Allah.

I assume that the # # in the quote are because some words are being blocked by ATS as well, thanks guys

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Rasobasi420]

Edit: Naughty words.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
No worries! Allah has 99 other names. Pick and choose another one

www.dawateislami.net...

Another link with longer explainations of what the names mean

www.jannah.org...

[edit to add second link]

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Beachcoma]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
damn it I can't be A11ahpimp06@yahoo.com

99 names? awesome let me register!

I'll be damned if yahoo says I can't pick a name of my choice EVEN WITH NUMERIALS!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Ban Allah but not Jesus. Is Allah more important Than Jesus?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Does this seem odd to you?

Extremely odd.
I would love to hear Yahoo’s explanation of this.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think this deserves the uproar that the censoring Yahoo China received. Of course the Chinese Yahoo censoring is much more obvious, and on a grander scale, but the words being censored seem to be words that the respective governments fear.

This case also happens to center around screen names, which I feel is a more personal attack. What I mean is that someone can talk about all they want, but if you identify yourself AS one of these words, that would be too much. It's a way of seperating the idea from the individual. Is Yahoo trying to say that personalizing an idea is not allowed unless it's an approved idea?

BTW, I've been looking and can't find any reponse from Yahoo.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
There's a reason for it. Anybody ever go to a yahoo board? Guess how many allah derrogatory names there are? Compare with the other allowed names

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Nakash]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think they should either ban all the names listed above, or none - they certainly shouldn't be showing favouratism.

I'm happy that I do not use Yahoo for anything and this only cerments my opinion that I am right not to use any of the Yahoo services.

Peoples need to stop giving in to Muslim demands, or trying to appease Muslims, but forgetting about the every other race and religion

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well, then 95% of the people in Yahoo would suddenly dissapear.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Yahoo caved. They withdrew the policy after some guy named Callahan wanted to use his name.

Funny, when Kallahar complains there is no response, but when Callahan complains Yahoo jumps.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Be wary, be vigilant, be cautious!
Blessed be to Allah that the Political Correct crowd/movement saw fit to simply 'ban' a religious figure from the second largest religion in the world, yet did not see fit to do so with other religious figures from other religions?

Hmm, let me see.
I suppose that the PC Yahoo was afraid of having their facilities trashed, burned, or bombed or their services discontinued?

Yahoo=caved in, because their protective and PC action was interpreted as being against Muslims.

Reads like "damned if you, damned if you don't."

seekerof

[edit on 1-3-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Actually, unless I am mistaken about Muslim theology (and I well could be), Muslims probably won't complain about this. The name of Allah is sacred to Muslims, and banning it from user names prevents people from abusing the name. It might also be considered blasphemy to give yourself an ID with God's name.

An acquaintance of mine who is heavily into scouting (this is in Canada) has served on many various scouting committees and boards, and told me about this event, which happened quite a few years ago (not sure exactly when, but he told me about this in the mid 90s). One of the scouting badges is for something to do with religious awareness. The designers of the badge made a badge that featured Allah's name on it. When Muslims saw the badge, they told Scouts Canada that they could not wear it, because if they were wearing it, they could not walk into an unclean place (such as a bathroom) while wearing it, because it would be disrespectful.

That's how serious they are about the uses of the name of Allah.

aside: What the heck is 'raghead' (from the banned list of words?)

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Yeah but Yahoo is crap. Why would you expect them to do anything except become more fascist and lame every year? That's their nature.

The encouragement to become a digital citizen through portals like Yahoo and AOL is laughably stupid. People have no idea how lazily their personal data is handled. Not to mention the censorship issue.

www.booyahoo.com...

[^^^site run by a friend of mine]

[edit on 1-3-2006 by smallpeeps]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   

BTW, I've been looking and can't find any reponse from Yahoo.

And you won't. Yahoo is notorious for not giving responses, other than the computer generated response.

Funny, when Kallahar complains there is no response, but when Callahan complains Yahoo jumps.

It may be that Callahan contacted the media, the media then with Yahoo, and reinstatement to shut everyone up quickly.

Originally posted by James Daniel
Peoples need to stop giving in to Muslim demands, or trying to appease Muslims, but forgetting about the every other race and religion

Here here !!! Muslim law is NOT MY law. Want my respect of your religion? EARN IT !!!

Originally posted by DragonsDemesneThe designers of the badge made a badge that featured Allah's name on it. When Muslims saw the badge, they told Scouts Canada that they could not wear it,

aside: What the heck is 'raghead' (from the banned list of words?)

Another case of Muslim protocol dictating EVERYONE'S protocol. Again, their law is not my law. Do you know the outcome of that story?

aside: raghead is same as turbinehead, both derogatory words for Muslim and/or Arabic - such as coon=black, cracker=white.

NN

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Want my respect of your religion? EARN IT !!!

There have been countless historical figures and benevolent leaders of nations who should be worthy of your respect. It deserves as much respect as Christianity, but not nearly as much as Buddhism

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

It deserves as much respect as Christianity, but not nearly as much as Buddhism

Being brought up in a Christian home, then seeing that religion from 3rd person for the rest of my adult life, I have all utter dis-respect for modern Chrsitianity.

Just as I have complete lack of respect for the Muslim religion - telling another that they must have the same view of their god as they do [ie: you can not use our god in cartoons] is NOT how to gain ones respect.

NN

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Just as I have complete lack of respect for the Muslim religion - telling another that they must have the same view of their god as they do [ie: you can not use our god in cartoons] is NOT how to gain ones respect.

Islam doesn't tell anyone that they must ahve the same view of God. Islam actually teaches one to pay no attention to other beliefs, becasue they all have their place. One's religion is ones own choosing.
If you use the cartoons as an example, selecting the few memners of the religeon who act up and judge the whole religeon on it, then no religeon could possibly be respected. Besides, I don't think that the riots are because Muslims want everyone to hold the same view of God as they do, but rather to respect their view of God, and to not mock him.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

If you use the cartoons as an example, selecting the few memners of the religeon who act up and judge the whole religeon on it, then no religeon could possibly be respected. Besides,

I don't know what news you've been watching, but it was more than a few that are burning buildings down, carrying placards saying they demand respect of THEIR god, etc etc etc. These were not isolated pockets of protests, these hundreds of thousands of Muslims around the world demanding that I view their god as they do.

I don't think that the riots are because Muslims want everyone to hold the same view of God as they do, but rather to respect their view of God, and to not mock him.

Same thing, different words. I do NOT have to respect the god of another, nor do I demand everyone respect the god of my choosing. I am not them, they are not me, I don't take my calling from their god nor their religion.

To put it to your exact words then ....... if they want me to respect their view of god, then they can not demand of me that I do so.

NN

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNik

Same thing, different words. I do NOT have to respect the god of another, nor do I demand everyone respect the god of my choosing. I am not them, they are not me, I don't take my calling from their god nor their religion.

To put it to your exact words then ....... if they want me to respect their view of god, then they can not demand of me that I do so.

Dear NoNik!

Very much in line with your thougts, read few lines form Quran Chapter 109 :

109:1 Say: O disbelievers!
109:2 I worship not that which ye worship;
109:3 Nor worship ye that which I worship.
109:4 And I shall not worship that which ye worship.
109:5 Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
109:6 Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.

It transpitres from the posts that many know very little about the most discussed religion (ISLAM) of the world.

Take the above qouted post, Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is not GOD, he is a human being and a prophet of Allah (God). Muslims are monotheist, believers of one God (Allah).

Muslims belive in all prophets (incuding Ibraham, Ishmail, Isac, Jacob, Joseph,.....Moses, Aron, and Jesus) and respect and love them all.

To Muslims all Humans are equal irrspective of their race, color or language.

To defame any Prophet or to defame Gods of other religions is forbidden in Islam.

That much respect for other religions in ISLAM is enough to expect that the Prophet of Islam be respected. Even if you donot respect the Prophet of Islam, Muslims are not going to disrespect other Prophets.[b/]

chaudri

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Fair enough. But keep in mind that the figure of those protesting is more in the thousands than hundreds of thousands. And thousands are definately a very small minority of Islam. As for the news I've been watching, I take it for what it is, scare tactics and exageration.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join