It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Anti-Muslim Riot in Nigeria Turns Deadly

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Becky, you are right that the title is misleading, no doubt.
I'm having trouble coming up with another title for it, and I imagine Odium didn't mean for it to be misleading. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time I gave him too much credit.

Now, for those who want to make the usual tit-for-tat, going-on-for-a-long-time, violence-on-both-sides thing, let me reiterate for you; this was the result of people being killed who had nothing to do with the cartoons in another continent.

Americans in Iraq or Israelis defending themselves against Paelstinian violence has as much to do with this as the Mulsims slaughtering Christians, raping the women and selling the children into slavery in Sudan. As a matter of fact, it has less, as at least Sudan is also in the same continent.
Stay on track, Odium. Or, do you think it would be a good thing that I list all the Islamic oppression all over the world? I think that would be a hijacking of the thread, anyway, don't you? Not a good thing, so we'd better not.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Look at this article from 2004:

Analysis: Behind Nigeria's violence
By Dan Isaacs
BBC, Nigeria

In the first four years following Nigeria's return to democratic rule in 1999, at least 10,000 people were killed in communal violence across the country, but in recent months, these clashes have been notably less frequent.

But this latest unrest in Plateau State is a worrying indication that these tensions remain never far from the surface, and that, in a country with such high levels of poverty, the underlying issues of access to scarce resources such as land and jobs are as much of an issue as ever.
BBC

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It goes on to say:

The broad characterisation of a Muslim Hausa-speaking north, and a Christian south made up of two dominant tribes - the Yoruba in the southwest and the Ibo in the southeast - is a vast over-simplification.

In some states across central Nigeria, for example, it is possible to drive down a road, stopping at each tiny settlement, encountering a different language spoken in every single one.

Nigeria's problems have been happening long before America's war on terrorism and the rise of extremist Muslims. I think it's very ignorant at best, or opportunistic at worst, to try to take these events, and try to spin them into something that has to do with either.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Good post, curme! Exactly, this all has nothing to do with anyone's religion. It's bad social conditions and even worse economic conditions that have brewed the dissent there. All the recent events were just catalysts. Or just an extension of the long history of troubles.

If they don't riot about cartoons or do tit-for-tat killings, they'll take to the streets because of something else. That country is a mess. If you really want to fault someone, blame their government -- it's doing a horrible job at keeping the peace. And an even poorer job at improving the lives of it's citizens.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Bull crap. That would mean that all people in poverty behave in such a manner. It would mean that it is an excuse. It would also mean that the Chirstians, who, in this situation, were allegedly attacked because of cartoons, are more prosperous, and that is why the attacks occured? You know, the attacks that spawned the response?

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Reuters

Christian youths burned the corpses of Muslims on Thursday on the streets of Onitsha in southeastern Nigeria, the city worst hit by religious riots that have killed at least 146 people across the country in five days.

Christian mobs, seeking revenge for the killings of Christians in the north, attacked Muslims with machetes, set fire to them, destroyed their houses and torched mosques in two days of violence in Onitsha, where 93 people died.

Dozens more corpses had been thrown into the back of pick-up trucks by security services overnight, residents said.

Some charred corpses were still lying on the streets and hundreds of Muslim men, women and children fled the city crammed into open-top trucks for fear of more killings. Thousands more were hiding in army barracks and police stations.

If you do not know, Burning a Muslim body is against his Religion.

Muslims have to be Barried, when they are Dead.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Bull crap. That would mean that all people in poverty behave in such a manner.

I also said bad social conditions. That would be things like culture and education. If you lived in a country where violence has been the norm for quite a while, you'd be prone to violence as well.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
more and more civil unrest govnerments must crack down on this maybe an u.n response on civil unrest is needed to cool off this wave of cartoon flu.....

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Good post, curme! Exactly, this all has nothing to do with anyone's religion. It's bad social conditions and even worse economic conditions that have brewed the dissent there. All the recent events were just catalysts. Or just an extension of the long history of troubles.

I might agree with the reasons for the riots in Nigeria, with the same reservations that TC has. Have these people just been sitting around waiting for an excuse to riot? Hmmm...

The socio-economic argument does not fit all countries in which these riots have taken place, either.

Religion is a set of moral attitudes and guidelines by which to live one's life. If Islam is such a powerful religion, why doesn't it teach it's followers to prosper and live in peace, instead of the poverty and violence they seem to wallow in?

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It was named, after what the initial Yahoo! news report was called, those who read Yahoo! often will know that they keep the same link as they update - often changing the story as well as the title.

Hamburglar, that's half my point. Who defines it? Is this not Terrorism to the Innocent Family members? As for why people died? Does that even matter? It is still the death of innocent people - it is still a life taken, by a mob a mob which if it was made up of Muslim's who killed numbers of people would be called terrorists - on this site and in the mainstream media.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

The socio-economic argument does not fit all countries in which these riots have taken place, either.

Sure it does. Where have the riots happened? Lets see, I don't recall all of them but I think this list is close to it:

• Nigeria
  • Libya
  • Sudan
  • Lebanon
  • Syria
  • Indonesia
  • Afghanistan
  • Palestine?
  • Iraq?

That's countries where there where riots recently. Tell me which one the socio-economic model doesn't fit? If not both social and economic problems it's one or the other. Did I miss any other countries where they were riots? Protests don't count, unless it's a violent protest and things get burned or people get hurt -- means it's a riot anyway.

So which country does the model not fit?

[edit: typo]

[edit on 24-2-2006 by Beachcoma]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join