It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ego of Humankind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Exploring the possibility of another intelligent species in the Universe capable of space flight deeply wounds the Ego of Humankind. Further, I suggest to you that it is equally possible that these unknown species originated here on Earth or elsewhere in the solar system.

Human ancestry is being seriously debated. Our ancestors may have existed tens of millions of years earlier than previously known. If human ancestry has been pushed further into the past, it is possible that another species existed prior to the rise of humankind and evolved side by side with Humanity. If this unknown species rapidly evolved physically, socially, and technologically, they would be capable of evading contact with human beings if they felt themselves superior or have adopted a creedo of noninterference with the development of homo sapiens.

Further, this unknown species could originate from elsewhere in the solar system. Proof of life on Mars has been discovered and suspected ruins have been indentified. These species could be observing and experimenting here on Earth, or they have been forced to relocate for unknown reasons.

Interstellar distances are too fantastic to immediately suspect that interstellar species are visiting the Earth. Mounting evidence on Earth, the Moon, and Mars suggest the existence of another intelligent species. If there is another intelligent species more advanced than Homo Sapiens, it is more believable that they originated here on Earth or elsewhere in the solar system.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Interstellar distances are too fantastic to immediately suspect that interstellar species are visiting the Earth.

How did you come to this conclusion?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Do a search here for "Talking Meat", if you truly want to have your human ego knocked down a few pegs, hehe.....

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery

Interstellar distances are too fantastic to immediately suspect that interstellar species are visiting the Earth.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Yes, how can you even come to a conclusion like that? Surely, their means of travel probably consist of things we can't even fathom!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Do a search here for "Talking Meat", if you truly want to have your human ego knocked down a few pegs, hehe.....

You mean this article?

That cracked me up

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure maybe that's why we haven't heard a thing from ET. I mean, how long has SETI been up? 40 plus years? And we haven't received a word whatsoever. Maybe the aliens are just embarassed to talk to us 'meat'

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
OMG-That had to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time-Thanks for the link!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   

You mean this article?

That's the one...

As funny as it is, the weird thing is....how insanely possible it is that we're simply seen as stumbling children...??? Really makes you wonder....

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Greetings fellow believers,

I admit that my belief in a co-existing species is interesting, but it isn't revolutionary. Three avenues of "evolution" for a particular species to develop are: physiologically, socially, technologically.

If a species can have the physiological specialization to create tools and manipulate the environment for self-preservation and propagation, it would have excellent chance to compete and survive.

A species, if succeeding physiologically in competition with other species, it would have to sufficiently evolve socially to overcome barbaric tribal habits. Social development is the absolute foundation of a truly advanced species.

Finally, if a species overcomes social obstacles (such as racism and religion), it would have an excellent opportunity to evolve technologically. Technology itself becomes an evolutionary force. If this species can balance its social and technological development to prevent wars--the opportunity for the species' advancement (barring devestating global catastrophes leading to extinction) are endless.

One example of this three-step evolutionary development is right here on Earth. Elephants have considerably developed physiologically and socially. The size of adult elephants discourages the attack of predators, and allows them to protect the young. Elephants also live in "cities": well-defined areas for mating, births, foraging, playing, and even dying (elephant graveyards). However, elephants currently lack a known language and cannot fashion tools--discouraging sufficient development to compete with Homo Sapiens.

If Elephants and Homo Sapiens co-exist...isn't it possible that another species exists here on Earth that is too far advanced for our species to detect?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
You're overlooking the idea of sentience...

Possible? Yes, but if they, like the only sentient species we have for comparison, also alter their environment to suit their needs, the only location is underwater (ala Abyss style)....

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Greetings Fellow Believers,

I acknowledge we must also recognize sentience. However, I must strongly caution you as to our understanding of sentience. We have only our own species to use as a model for sentience.

As to the possible location of this unknown species here on Earth? I must have watched "The Abyss" dozens of times. Certainly, over 75% of the Earth is covered by water. Our oceans are indominable frontiers. If any unknown species would exist, and be sufficiently sophisticated to avoid detection by our species--it would be underwater.

My greatest difficulty with this theory is that I can only see through my human eyes.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jack of Scythes

My greatest difficulty with this theory is that I can only see through my human eyes.

Then you hit back on to your original point that from your Human perspective you think the distances involved in interstellar travel are too great.

Maybe not. Lots of brilliant people would disagree with you on that one.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Greetings Fellow Believers,

I haven't totally discounted the possibility of an interstellar species. The difficulty is Physics. What was it that Montgomery Scott said on Star Trek? "Ye canna change the law o' Physics!"

A species would have to have astounding lifespans to survive the trip between stars--unless they have perfected a jump-drive or seal themselves in cryo-tubes for a long sleep in space.

Theoretically, a gravitic drive is possible. But you can only push matter up to the speed of light. Gravitic waves travel faster than light: true. But you can't expect to move a space vehicle 186,000.01 miles per second.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Physics ...

As you get closer to c , time slows down making trips quick.

Then there was this last week.

New Antigravity Solution Could Enable Space Travel Near Speed of Light

www.newscientist.com...

Spaceships of the future to take humans to Mars in 2.5 hours

So don't be to quick to think that physics is stopping anyone.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I haven't totally discounted the possibility of an interstellar species. The difficulty is Physics. What was it that Montgomery Scott said on Star Trek? "Ye canna change the law o' Physics!"

Well you can bend 'em....

Just look at wormhole theory and space-folding, etc. ideas. You can work within current understanding of physics and still get from A to B without going in a straight line.

top topics

join