It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush:The nation is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that would "startle" most Americans

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
hmmm...from reading the whole article, the best I can pick up is that Bush thinks the following

- rechargable batteries
- ethanol
- solar panels

are whiz-bang, gee-whiz breakthroughs.

Glad he's come out to learn what's been going on for the past 40 years.

It's sad to see a mod so cynical. While these technologies have been around for awhile they have never been cost effective to use/produce on a large scale AND they fall well short of meeting the energy needs of America.

Irrespective of advancements in solar technologies, there is no way collection panels on your roof will provide all the energy you need to simultaneously power any three of your: refrigerator, air conditioner, washer, dryer, dishwasher, hair dryer, your meat freezer, wine cooler, spa heater, lights, computers, play stations; the list goes on and on!!!

Wind power, with all its ugly towers and propellers, couldn't provide the energy needs of America even if we dotted the lansdscape with 100 per square mile.

Rechargable batteries, regardless how efficient and long lasting they are, are made with elements that are destructive to the environment. In addtion, the energy used to recharge them has to come from somewhere.

The only way we can ween ourselves from foriegn sources of energy is to use a combination of solar, wind, ocean currents/waves, all bolstered by nuclear energy. The most efficent way to transport this energy (after the initial cost) is through a nationwide grid comprised of hydrogen energy; as opposed to electricity. With this configuration, we could run our homes and fuel our cars (at home) and never take another trip to a gas station. Even with this arrangement, we would still be somewhat dependent on petroleum, with current propulsion technology, for air travel and other large scale transportation industries.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
My sources tell me that Hurricane Katrina, A.K.A: Project - "Damn that Damn Dam"....

And what are your sources? The magazine racks at the checkout counter?

You're clueless. There were more "white soylent" affected by Katrina than black.

Now....back to the topic.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The nation is on the verge of new energy technology as soon as it's stolen and in the hands of the one's that control the world's energy now.

Their plan is not yet in place evidently.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

Well I don't have a high opinion of Bush, but I think that in this case he might actually be speaking a bit of truth. I am sure that everyone is familiar with Fusion, and the extremely hot temperatures required to make atoms fuse together (releasing, of course, ample amounts of energy).

I cannot seem to find any information relating to how high the temp has to be to make a fusion reaction work, but this article states that they have reached well over 2 BILLION degrees Kelvin!

Is it possible? Fusion?

If so, I am sure it will take a few, if not more, years to make it viable for use in creating electricity efficiently, but it may very well be on the horizon.

EDIT: changed farenheit to Kelvin

[edit on 13-3-2006 by PtDisc]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The way his mind is, i am sure he was thinking "Weaponz o' mazz distruchon"

They are toys. He's into toys.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:02 AM
link   
"ush:The nation is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that would "startle" most Americans"

i dont see how wind/ethenol/batteries/hydrogen/solar energy will startle anyone. this stuff has been around for a long time and just doesnt give enough power.

What would startle people would be Highly advanced energy sources such as zero point if it really existes or somthing other form of energy along those lines. i have read several articals on here about very very advanced energy systems like the experiments on the Z-machine and the department of energy possibly testing a Warp drive engine. the energy required to do that would be massive.

also with all the talk on anti-gravity they would have to have a extremly powerfull energy source. so something like that would be very startling. especially to the average person who has no understanding whatsoever of stuff like that.

I have also read about Fusion reactors as a use for alternative to the existing power plants. And i read somewhere that los alamos laboratory had created a battery using Nuclear decay to produce energy. it said these batteries would last for 10+ years. which would be great for use in cars

but just as with nuclear energy people will be afraid. anything that can output massive energy can explode.

[edit on 21-3-2006 by jaso109]

[edit on 21-3-2006 by jaso109]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The nation is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that would "startle" most Americans... were taking them all away.

Thats right, get out your abacus, slide rule, feather pens, and horse drawn carriage...

(I amuse myself)

What I do find startling is, did you know that the electric car actually came out before the gasoline engine? Its true!

And its still just as good as it was back then, lol.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

A battery with a lifespan measured in decades is in development at the University of Rochester, as scientists demonstrate a new fabrication method that in its roughest form is already 10 times more efficient than current nuclear batteries—and has the potential to be nearly 200 times more efficient. The details of the technology, already licensed to BetaBatt Inc., appears in today's issue of Advanced Materials.

Our society is placing ever-higher demands for power from all kinds of devices, says Philippe Fauchet, professor of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Rochester and co-author of the research. For 50 years, people have been investigating converting simple nuclear decay into usable energy, but the yields were always too low. We've found a way to make the interaction much more efficient, and we hope these findings will lead to a new kind of battery that can pump out energy for years.

The technology is geared toward applications where power is needed in inaccessible places or under extreme conditions. Since the battery should be able to run reliably for more than 10 years without recharge or replacement, it would be perfect for medical devices like pacemakers, implanted defibrillators, or other implanted devices that would otherwise require surgery to replace or repair. Likewise, deep-space probes or deep-sea sensors, which are beyond the reach of repair, also would benefit from such technology.
www.physorg.com...

How it works

The technology is called betavoltaics. It uses a silicon wafer to capture electrons emitted by a radioactive gas, such as tritium. It is similar to the mechanics of converting sunlight into electricity in a solar panel.

Until now, betavoltaics has been unable to match solar-cell efficiency. The reason is simple: When the gas decays, its electrons shoot out in all directions. Many of them are lost.

"For 50 years, people have been investigating converting simple nuclear decay into usable energy, but the yields were always too low," Fauchet explained. "We've found a way to make the interaction much more efficient, and we hope these findings will lead to a new kind of battery that can pump out energy for years."
www.livescience.com...

Could this be the development that he is eluding to. A battery for the common man that would last over ten years ?
Just imagine the reduced load on the grid if knowbody had to charge their cell phones, PDAs, laptops etc.....
Or if cars would only use gas for acceleration and then switched to a nuclear battery once highway speed was reached.
A nuke battery in every home, or a home battery that only charged on off peak hours, and then fed the power back into the home during peak usage of the power grid.

What if every roof in the United States had power producing solar panel roofing instead of the roofing material we use now. They could feed the grid for credit during the day when people are at work, and then the house could be pulling energy from the grid during the evening when people are cooking dinner and running all their electronics.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

by MerryMistressMarie
mOjOm,
you really MUST be kidding. THAT is crazy sick and just EWWE!

Where are you getting your information?

Of course I'm kidding. Yes, a bit sick too, but I kinda have a strange sense of humor and have found some other people do too. Especially around ATS. So I figured I'd share my twisted tale with the public so they might take a step back from all the serious stuff, if even just for a minute.

by Freedom_for_sum
And what are your sources? The magazine racks at the checkout counter?

You're clueless. There were more "white soylent" affected by Katrina than black.

Now....back to the topic.

What's with you people??? I mean I thought I laid the sarcasm on pretty thick this time. Not to mention the obvious movie reference and "dry" juvenile humor. If you didn't catch on that I might be saying such things in jest, you may want to check yourself for a pulse, cause you might be dead, mentally and/or physically.

My sources??? Well, if you really must know, I actually got my info from yo' momma last night.

I'M ONLY JOKING!!!

Seriously, I'm just playing with ya here "Commander Data". But if you're still missing the sarcasm I suggest putting your emotion chip back in.

Honestly, I'm not trying to mis-direct this topic. When I made my first post, this thread had real low probability of establishing a true topic direction anyhow, so a little satirical joke seemed harmless. I didn't intend on posting again, but had to after the second reply asking for my "sources" for such "clueless" statements, toward what I thought was an obvious attempt at humor. (Perhaps, not very good or clean humor in some people's opinion, but humor non the less.)

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Ethanol could solve the oil issue easily. Brazil has 180 million people and half it's cars use ethanol. They are the 8th largest economy in the world by the way so that's ALOT of ethanol. It could be done in America with corn, hay, garbage, whatever. Profitable too, though initialy goverment money would be needed. Never gonna happen. Oil lobby too evil and selfish to allow it....

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Maybe 2012 has more to do with technology changeover?

I dunno just wondering of the coincidence. Maybe we will have less strife by then thanks to our handy new star trek vehicles? Maybe that will be the elevation of the spiritual and the beginning of a new 200 or more year era of new space exploration and easy affordable transportation. Maybe as Bill Cooper once said, "what is hidden is 100-200 years more advanced than anything in public view". Maybe that's the raising of consciousness that will happen as a result of mass understanding of our new technology and the dissemination of this to the American people with the rest of the world watching us overcome all of our current problems in less than a decade. I hope so.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Probably liquid coal. The germans invented that back in WW2. It's just like diesel almost. Works fine, but not if you're nature. then again, nothing really works if it's polluting nature, and most fuels are.

Unless he's gonna announce that they have mach-12 "scramjet" planes like NASA just tested over australia, and "they're gonna use them to secure dominance over all energy" :-P

Or maybe Boeing and/or GE has found a way to put antigravity-devices in cars.. hmm....

EDIT:

NO, NO, NO. Now I have to adjust some of you again.

Electric engines have 5 times more torque than your common V-8 gasoline engine. What they do not have, is HORSEPOWER.

and "some" of you, are either very tactical, or not very tactical. You know who you are, mr. draconis majis. I understand propaganda and psychological warfare, and whatever you'tre doing, it's not helping anyone, or maybe you're just working for the wrong people.

[edit on 29-3-2006 by Aztecatl]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
so whatever happened to the followup on bush's radical new astonishing energy that he was going to reveal to us meager peasants?
that due to voodoo ecconomics, the money is worthless, and we can go ahead and burn it.
maybe there are enough pulsars out there to beam us high-frequency energy rays. of course trapping extra energy in our environment would definately lead to warming, and ice caps melting, and the gulf-stream stopping, leading to the end of whale migrations. the mayans were right. the world will end in 2012.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
testing etgawjlrgqjABWNVAØWJRGBJBVAWJBEWVAJBWSV

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
"SOYLENT BLACK!!!!"

NO!!! IT'S PEOPLE...IT'S MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!!!"

In fact, it's made out of Black People this time, ironicly lending nicely to the change in name from the original "not-so-popular" Green Soylent of old.

...My sources tell me that Hurricane Katrina, A.K.A: Project - "Damn that Damn Dam" was in fact a weather control test carried out by the elite for the purpose of "obtaining the initial stockpile of Raw Crude" from which the new Soylent Black shall be harvested, refined and traded in the market place.

Well America, are you shocked???

Ah, no. I am startled.

The concept "Soylent Black" is truly startling. I think you're right, Bush probably was talking about Soylent Black.

Sick. But I did laugh out loud.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
A non-choking pretzel? A translatof of Bush Speak into English? Non detectable Cocaine? Bikes that don´t topple over when you use one hand? (G8 last year he toppled into a scottish policeman and put him off work for 6 months! What a twat.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
' Bush:The nation is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that would "startle" most Americans" '

In my opinion, the US have made a time machine. By that way every american will go back in time and Bush will be president for four more years, again and again and again........Yes that will be a technological breakthrough that would startle most americans.

Crustas

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It could well be a civil/combat droid. Coming soon to a street near you.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
In my opinion, the US have made a time machine. By that way every american will go back in time and Bush will be president for four more years, again and again and again........

My freind, the scenario you propose is a cheap knock-off of a very funny movie starring Bill Murray - Ground-Hog Day. Do you really want to wake up to Sonny and Cher every day for the rest of your life, knowing that Bush is still President? Damn. That's just plain scary dude!

I would like to think fusion has been perfected, but it's more likley a super high efficient rechargeable battery is on the horizon.

Cheers!!

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aztecatl
Why didn't this # let me post my REAL reply? "PAGE NOT FOUND! PLEASE TRY AGAIN" and the copy i made of the text i had written, was deleted from the CLIPBOPARD!! and it was gone when I came back to the submit-page!!

Read this thread: A public service announcement. How NOT to lose your work.

Learn to avoid that frustration with two simple keystrokes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join