It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former President Jimmy Carter defends Bush's port issue.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
www.miami.com...

WASHINGTON - President Bush is taking a battering from fellow Republicans, even the governors of New York and Maryland, over the administration's support for a decision that gives an Arab company control of some commercial operations at six major seaports -- including Miami-Dade's.
But he got a boost Monday from an unlikely source, frequent critic and former president Jimmy Carter, who downplayed fears that the deal poses a risk.
''The overall threat to the United States and security, I don't think it exists,'' Carter said on CNN's The Situation Room. ``I'm sure the president's done a good job with his subordinates to make sure this is not a threat.''
The show of support from the Democrat, who has not hesitated to criticize Bush, underscores the odd political lines that have emerged since news broke last week that the United States gave the thumbs-up to the $6.8 billion sale of the British firm P&O Ports to a company owned by the United Arab Emirates.

Soooo...Jimmy Carter does not believe that there is no such threat to America, that its not so widespread as believe that we can happily turn over the port security to an Arab control company. I wonder what people have to say about that.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well I guess everybody in the party lines have the right to bring their opinions, but taking in consideration that two of the 9/11 attackers where from that country it kind of make American's Patriots skin crawl.

In my opinion I believe that US ports should stay away from the hands of Arabs firm at least for now, so everybody feel happy and safe.

Before 9/11 people had not clue about US private business with foreign firms, but now many are very aware of what and with who US make business with.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It's not surprising at all that Carter agrees with W on the Port issue. After all, Carter let the rent-renewal expire on the Panama Canal (he was the best friend Omar Torrijos ever had). W's blunder will take some of the historical partisan heat away from Jimmy. The findamental difference between the two is that Jimmy is a blow-dried politician while W is a oily-haired one.

join