It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US said to be blocking sale of subs to Taiwan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Elements within the US government are actively trying to undermine aspects of an arms procurement deal with Taiwan, sources said, while a US congressman will arrive in Taipei today in an effort to move the issue forward.
The most contentious part of the blocked special arms procurement budget bill, which would have allowed for the purchase of three major weapons systems from the US, is the eight diesel-electric submarines that were approved for sale by the Bush administration in early 2001.

Subs

If this is true then "Bushie" has already made a deal with China to sell out Taiwan. Perhaps to get assistance with N Korea or Iran. Either way it is dirty dealing................

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
But I counldn't found what's type of subs will be sold?????

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
But I counldn't found what's type of subs will be sold?????

The article says 8 non-nuke subs, and thats the probelm. The "start collar" bunch in the pentagon are supposedly afraid congress will see how cheap they are and stop funding nuclear subs. Sounds just stuipd enough to be true.......

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

If this is true then "Bushie" has already made a deal with China to sell out Taiwan. Perhaps to get assistance with N Korea or Iran. Either way it is dirty dealing................

Where did you get that from? The article doesn't even mention China or Iran.
Also, US sub manufactures have no capability as of now to construct diesel-electric subs, so if they start from scratch the price of those subs would be high anyway.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The "deal" to "sell out" the Taiwanese was made in the 1970's.

While we might support the Taiwanese against attack, US policy since then has been that Taiwan is part of China and that the US in favor of peaceful reunification. We've armed the Taiwanese only just enough to make China think twice before launching an invasion. The US doesn't support independence for Taiwan, and apparently neither does about 70% of Taiwan's population, who prefer the status quo.

Also, US sub manufactures have no capability as of now to construct diesel-electric subs, so if they start from scratch the price of those subs would be high anyway.

That's true, the US hasn't launched an SSK since the Barbel's in the 1950's. Nobody else is likely to build them any but the French, and after the fiasco over the defanged Lafayette's I don't think the ROC Navy is going to buy anything from France for a while.

If we do produce an SSK for them, it's going to be either A) hideously expensive or B) someone else's design license-built or (probably) C) both. I have to say I'd love to see what EB could do with say a U212 variant...

[edit on 2/21/06 by xmotex]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
But China doesn't prefer this "status quo" either..

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Lol.....honestly - are the congress THAT stupid?

Anyway, I really don't see what the problem is....I'm sure Russia could sell 2x better subs for 2x less price.

new topics

top topics

join