It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Iran's Foreign Minister: Ahmadinejad Comments Misunderstood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Iran's foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, is denying that Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map and that the President is misunderstood, stating that they merely disagree with the current regime. Mottaki also acknowledges that the Holocaust took place, but states that their frustration is that they feel Muslims are paying the price for past Jewish suffering. Manouchehr Mottaki's statements came after addressing the European parliament meant to assure the EU that Iran's nuclear ambitions were peaceful, energy-producing purposes.

today.reuters .com
"Nobody can remove a country from the map. This is a misunderstanding in Europe of what our president mentioned," Manouchehr Mottaki told a news conference, speaking in English, after addressing the European Parliament.

"How is it possible to remove a country from the map? He is talking about the regime. We do not recognize legally this regime," he said.

Ahmadinejad caused a storm of condemnation last October after Iran's official IRNA news agency quoted him as telling a conference: "Israel must be wiped off the map".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The diplomatic comments of Mottaki are a somewhat stunning turn-of-events from the stubborn, hard-line comments of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Although Iran is still negotiating with Russia over proposed energy enrichment plans, Iran's intentions are to continue its nuclear research. Perhaps there will still be a silver lining in this dark cloud. The internal politics of Iran still remain somewhat of a mystery with such ambiguity.

Related News Links:
ca.today.reuters.com

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I don't know if I would consider it a stunning turn around; the guy is a diplomat-type, it is his job to make such words more tolerable.

The first set of words were for the people of the region; these words are for us. This is a consistent tactic of the region.

Nice words, but I wouldn't bet the orange grove on them being true.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
His, the foriegn minister, job is to make assinine remarks sound less assinine. Too late, too many people heard him spout off. Misunderstood my big ole butt, I understood him perfectly. He doesn't much care for Israel and would just as soon it not exist. He thinks the Holocaust is a Jewish conspiracy to steal land from the Palestinians. Not much to misunderstand to my mind. But then I'm addicted to denial

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This may not be a "stunning turn-of-events ," but it is a rather uncharacteristic effort to temper the Iranian international image. However, he is playing word games. He's not talking about a political party here. When he speaks of a regime, he is speaking of nation of Israel.

"How is it possible to remove a country from the map? He is talking about the regime. We do not recognize legally this regime," he said.

today.reuters. com

[edit on 2006/2/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I agree with the other members on this. This is just a "damage control" effort to try to buy some time.

The Iranian president has spoken in many ocassions including in front of every leader of the UN, and they all understood what he was saying.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Sounds like that Iraqi foreign minister guy when Bagdad was being invaded.. There are no American troops in Bagdad!

It at least means the rest of the world is scaring Iran into reality.

X

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Ha, it seems politics are politics whether you are in the US, Britain, or even Iran. I guess no president should be taken literally...

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Good cop has been heard from.

We'll undoubtedly be hearing from the bad cop within days, with even more outrageous statements that good cop can spin some more.

Makes good television, doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

The first set of words were for the people of the region; these words are for us. This is a consistent tactic of the region.

All governments, including our own talk out of both sides of their mouths...its par for the course. Be that as it may, I won't say that the president of Iran is a figurehead, but as I understand it, he has far less power than he is being made out to have, but that the real power lies with the Islamic council, so I would tend to pay more attention to what its representives are quietly saying as opposed to the presidential blowhard, the Iranian presidential blowhard, not the American presidential blowhard

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well when a President of a country makes a public and political speech they should get their phrasing and words correct before thay make them, don't you think?

It is a bit late now to take a regressive stance on his words now that they are counter-productive to Irans nuclear programme.

Let them deal with Russia

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valorian
Well when a President of a country makes a public and political speech they should get their phrasing and words correct before thay make them, don't you think?

If we had to wait for Bush to get his phrasing, words and facts correct before he opened his mouth we would be blessed with silence. Great idea pass it on to the White House.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Of course not.

When our President said we should wipe Israel off the map he did not really say that--well he used those words, but what he meant was.........
Our country doesn't support terrorist activities designed to accomplish Israels destruction, No really, it doesn't, we just want the regime to change, we are really a bunch of nice people. We wouldn't do anything to hurt anyone....... Would you like a flower?

[edit on 23-2-2006 by Astronomer68]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Misunderstood???

"Iran's official IRNA news agency quoted him as telling a conference: "Israel must be wiped off the map". "

How exactly does one misunderstand that???

Can you say, "oops"? I knew you could...

Our country doesn't support terrorist activities designed to accomplish Israels destruction, No really, it doesn't, we just want the regime to change, we are really a bunch of nice people. We wouldn't do anything to hurt anyone....... Would you like a flower?

that's priceless...

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Misunderstood???

"Iran's official IRNA news agency quoted him as telling a conference: "Israel must be wiped off the map". "

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Riwka, you now have caused me to loose my coffee and spit it all over my keyboard from laughing and drinking.

The way I see it, it is a Jewish conspiracy to destroy my ability to communicate on the internet!

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
What do you expect the Iranians to say to the UN when discussing the issue of their 'peaceful' nuclear ambitions?
How about this:
Yes, we wish to wipe Israel off the map but No we are not developing weapons for that purpose.

Of course they will try to explain away their president's statements.
My question is this:
What did his people understand when he said what he did?

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Misunderstood???

Can you say, "oops"? I knew you could...

Do you have a link for that?

The Foreign Minister is saying we mistranslated it.

Iran Denies Wanting to "Wipe Israel off the Map"

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Iran's attempt to explain away Ahmedinajad's statements are pathetic at best.

Iran finances Islamic groups committed to destroying Israel - that is a fact.
Iran trains these groups, provides them with arms and sends out forces to assist them - another fact.

Do you honestly think that on a strategic level Iran is not trying to bring down the Jewish state of Israel?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbiIran finances Islamic groups committed to destroying Israel - that is a fact.

Israel funded Hamas too, strange eh?

The Hamas had built its strength through its various acts of sabotage of the peace process, in a way which was compatible with the interests of the Israeli government. In turn, the latter sought in a number of ways, to prevent the application of the Oslo accords. In other words, Hamas was fulfilling the functions for which it was originally created: to prevent the creation of a Palestinian State. And in this regard, Hamas and Ariel Sharon, see eye to eye; they are exactly on the same wave length.

globalresearch.ca...

Iran trains these groups, provides them with arms and sends out forces to assist them - another fact.

What groups are these? And can you provide any sources to back up your assertion that Iran provides them with arms and sends out their forces? I've heard this relationship, but never have seen many articles to back it up.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Jamhun,

Hamas was initially supported by Israel as a couterbalance to Fatah (PLO) a well-known corrupt terrorist organization. At the time that Hamas was actually a peaceful organization that financed schools, hospitals and mosques. It was only later that they became fanatical murderers.
source

Iran has openly financed and supported Hezbullah, Islamic Jihad and now Hamas.

The PLO was also in association with Iran - If you recall the Karin A was a huge ship filled with Iranian weapons shipped to the Palestinian Authority in violation of the OSLO agreements.
There are enough articles out there for anyone who is willing to take the time to search.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join