It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navigation systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I was wondering.... when (not if) the secret to moving at lightspeed is discovered, how will we navigate the unknown number of objects in space? Moving that fast will require a system that is capable of making a incalculatable amount of adjustments per second. We would also need sensors that could detect these objects before encountering them.
This also leads me to wondering about a craft that could withstand the tremendous G's such maneuvering would produce. More precisely, what materials available to us.

apc

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Static shields and inertial dampeners...

Need not worry. Star Trek has already figured these things out for us!

In reality... static shields are feasible, but require an immense amount of energy to generate (probably one of the reasons why the Enterprise had a few fusion reactors on board). As far as inertial dampeners, I know some work has been done on the concept. However, I dont know who is involved or the extent of this research.

As far as the construction materials... unobtainium, of course.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If the craft achieved "FTL" by warping space, then there would be no need for hazard avoidance/protection, or inertial dampeners, as it works by pulling space to you, then you make the little journey between where you are, and where you want to go (which you just pulled to you). You could walk across such a small distance!

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well, the SubLuminal technology required was already said in the above posts, depending on how you'r traveling at FTL speeds, the required technology would depend.

If you're literally traveling faster than the speed of light in the Einsteinian universe, than you'd just need a more powerful version of the SubLuminal technology.

If you're warping space, than you would'nt need anything really.

If you're traveling in "HyperSpace", it's either one of the above two, since we don't know if there is anything in "HyperSpace".

new topics

top topics

join