It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where can i find a picture of the saw dust after a tree is cut?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
One other thing one must remember about saw dust.

I am sure you are familiar with Particle board. This is the wood that "build it yourself" furniture from WALMART is made of. This wood is in part, sawdust. They take the sawdust and more or less grind it into a really fine dust. Then mix is with other materials and compress it and dry it. This helps to use more of the tree also.

You may also be familiar with what is called "composition" plywood. The kind that looks like chunks of wood glued together to make plywood sheeting. This too uses sawdust is the glue type material to hold comp sheeting together.

So when you get down to it, very little wood is wasted.

Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thankyou Bangin, but it amazes me sometimes, I thought it's the standard here at ATS to help those that require it.

There is actually a sawdust factory about half a mile from where I live. They generally use it for the Particle board as Tim said, or they distribute to various hardware stores and schools.

Schools, especially junior schools, require it for unwell children >

But I think at the factory, which isn't especially large, they process healthy wood into sawdust, which in my opinion, seems quite wasteful in itself.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Particle board was invented in New Zealand. (so I was told)
During the depression the unemployed planted zillions of acres of pine trees and whe the time came to lop of the branches and prune them they were overseas in WW2.

So in the 50's when all these plantations of pine trees came to maturity they didn't know what to do with the wood. Because the trees wern't pruned at all the wood was too knotty to use as planks, so they worked out a way to turn them in to chips, and glue all the chips together to make panels, and Wa La! chipboard was born.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
According to greenpeace link

"The logging industry in the Amazon is highly wasteful. Seventy percent of all logged timber ends up as unusable fragments or sawdust."

I want to find a picture that demonstrates something along the lines of that. A picture would be a lot more affective then just a fact.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Also thanks MrEisenhower!! I wish there were more people like you that had the same helping additude.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
bangin and mr eisenhower i salute u as some people here are just too quick to judge. i.e masked guy person whenever i read their posts someone is always getting put down for something

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
kurtcobainuk

OK.

You're next.

Post something useful next time.

And stay in school, whatever you do...

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Thats not because they cut the trees down, but because the falling trees take out smaller trees, and the roads and draggers destroy the undergrowth as well.

If you have ever cut down a tree you would see that the actual cutting bit with the sawdust is minor. Get a pic showing the logging tracks and the devastation that clearfelling forest causes. Thats where the real damage takes place.

See all the unusable wood after the trees have been removed.

Originally posted by ilovepizza
According to greenpeace link

"The logging industry in the Amazon is highly wasteful. Seventy percent of all logged timber ends up as unusable fragments or sawdust."

I want to find a picture that demonstrates something along the lines of that. A picture would be a lot more affective then just a fact.

[Edited on 6-10-2003 by Netchicken]

[Edited on 6-10-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Thanks chicky!!!

What is the second picture you posted? All i can see is a red x for the second picture.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Also that picture is showing something different then what the fact is stating. I will use that picutre because it is the best one i have seen. The fact says that 70% of all logged wood. If a huge tree falls on a smaller tree the smaller tree was not logged.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAlreadyPsycho
One other thing one must remember about saw dust.

I am sure you are familiar with Particle board. This is the wood that "build it yourself" furniture from WALMART is made of.

The "do-it-yourself" shelves and desks are made from MDF, which is (can you believe this) wild grass. I've been a CNC Operator for a company that designed and built cabinets, desk, etcetera for companies like Sears, Zales, Sherwin Williams. The MDF is a real crappy material to work with (the sides being trimmed get "fuzzy").

I like particle board, except it has a tendancy to snap at the wrong times.

And, after reading this thread, I must say... it has really brightened up my day!

Now, I can cut down a sampling with an axe... one smack, no dust.

But yes, you have to seriously ask yourself, how thick is the tree? How wide is the blade? Does the blade have carbide tips? Is the saw sharp, the tree wet, dry, rotted? There is a lot to be factored in. Does the cutter have a vaccuum attachment? *saw dust is also used for animal bedding, depending on the tree type*

*whispering to oneself*
man... good thing this thread isn't on paper

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Are the big logging companies going to cut trees down with axes? I do not think they will. I can not give a size of the tree because trees are different lengths and widths.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
I know a lot of one tree that is cut is not ussable. I was wondering if any one knows where i can find a picture of this.

You're a few days too late. I had some landscapers take out a tree in my yard on Thursday. The chipped and shredded the whole thing right in my yard. I didn't take any pics though, I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone would need them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join