It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protecting you PC from THE MAN (any spyware, adware, did I miss anything?))

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I searched through about 14 pages in this forum looking for a definitive thread on the proper precautions to take to keep unwanted people and junk off your computer. The problem is I am not very knowledgable in computers and software. I read in another thread about checking your registry to see if anybody has been snooping in there, what is that all about? Here is the quote:

Originally posted by Ganesh2005
Thanks dulcimer...good job... one vote from me

I do go along with the premise that it's civilians doing most of the investigating here...

All the alphabet agency's have to do is 'back-door' your PC to get the data

Even the guys researching the Majestic docs say that these 'secret operatives'
are only slightly less clueless than us as regards the 'big ufo picture'

Roswell, Rendlesham and Kecksburg would seem to indicate otherwise, though.

My advice to any civilian investigators that are onto the
'real deal' as regards ufo and covert evidence is this;

Don't go to any 'Mufon' type organisations...
just get the info out there yourself...spread it around

Be vigilant as regards your PC....check your registry editor etc.
Look out for files such as SETIHEALTH, ASIO (if in Australia) etc.
Reformat often

Be wary of attacks on your PC stemming from Washington

Peace to all

video debunkers please view this file;
Backyard floaties, Far North Australia

others of interest;
Orion Series
Blue Orb

From this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

I humbly besceech the more skilled among us to lay out there point by point process for keeping adware,spyware,virus's and snooping people out of there computers. I know it would be really helpfull to the less experienced among us (although I know I'm in the minority).
Personaly I am running adaware and Spybot , what else should I be doing. My guess for a format for replys would be bullet point the steps from start to finish on getting your PC ready to rock. Thank you for you help.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Windows Defender

Download Microsoft Windows Defender from here, this will provide solid protection against Spyware, etc.

Free AVG Antivirus Protection

Download Free AVG to provide yourself up to date antivirus protection for no cost. I use this on my home computer and it updates regularly. forget paying Norton or McAfee.

Smitrem.exe

This is a small program that will remove Spysheriff, Spyaxe, etc. From your system. Only takes a second to run and can be very helpful.

Microsoft Online virus Scan

Do an online virus scan from Microsoft

Trendmicro Online Virus scan

Do a complete scan for any Spyware, Virus, Vulnerabilities etc on your system at Trendmicro.

Download.Com

Download Adaware SE Personal, Spybot Search and Destory, Spyware Doctor, etc. Find these in the Most Popular Download section which is on the homepage.

WebRoot Spysweeper

Another program you can scan for Spyware. I believe the 14 Day Free Trial has been removed but still the scanner is there.

Whatever programs you decide to download or scan with, make sure you update them and run them in safe mode.

To get into safe mode just tap on F8 while your computer is booting up and you will find the Windows Advanced Options Menu.

This will be much more efficient in removing the items that are detected.

Be careful of the websites you visit, Try to use Limewire or Ares Lite when downloading with P2P File sharing programs as these are spyware free, or as free as you can find.

Never open an email your not sure of, If you get a popup ALWAYS!! hit the x in the right hand corner. They can set up the No button to mean the same as yes, so by clicking No you could still be installing the program.

U2U me for any additional information.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thanks! I couldn't install Windows Defender because I don't have service pack 2 and I couldn't seem to get that to instal but I Installed a few of the other programs and found a Trojan virus. Thanks again for the help.

Additional comments from anyone on setting up and running a PC for minimal theft or snoopage from undesirables are always welcomed. I am hoping this thread would be a good jumping off point for other people like me who need a nudge in the right direction.

A question for all: Should I be checking my registry editor? Will these programs not find the bad stuff in there? Or is that extreme paranoia?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well, arguably the absolute best way to keep spyware, adware, viruses, etc. off of your computer would be to use an operating system other than Windows, such as Linux, which I personally use. However, you said your computer skills aren't the greatest so that probably isn't a viable option. In that case the best would be to make sure you install anti-spyware programs such as Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Microsoft's Windows Defender I hear is very good, though I have not personally used it. Anti-virus software is also very important, AVG is very good if you dont' feel like spending money. However, these programs won't do much without keeping them up to date. Regularly downloading updates is very important if you dont want to get hit by spyware, it won't keep you one step ahead of th enemy, but it'll help.

Here's some links to the software mentioned (all of which is free):

Ad-Aware
Spybot
AVG Free

Originally posted by el duderino
A question for all: Should I be checking my registry editor?

If you don't have much computer experience/knowledge, by all means stay out of the registry. It's quite easy to mess things up messing around in the registry, and if you dont have much experience you won't know what to look for to see if someone is snooping around in there.

On another related note, perhaps a couple of us more knowledgeable of computers and software could compile a thread with information and links to software to keep spyware and all that good stuff at bay? Perhaps we could get it stickied to make it easier for people with spyware-related problems to find information.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins

A question for all: Should I be checking my registry editor?

If you don't have much computer experience/knowledge, by all means stay out of the registry. It's quite easy to mess things up messing around in the registry, and if you dont have much experience you won't know what to look for to see if someone is snooping around in there.

Thanks! What about de-fragging my hardrive? I've never done that but heard I should? Thoughts or opinions?

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins
On another related note, perhaps a couple of us more knowledgeable of computers and software could compile a thread with information and links to software to keep spyware and all that good stuff at bay? Perhaps we could get it stickied to make it easier for people with spyware-related problems to find information.

YES!!!!!!!!!! That would be ideal. That's what I was looking for but couln't find. I would add not just spyware but generall advice to keep your computer happy would be a huge help to us reforming luddites.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Thanks! What about de-fragging my hardrive? I've never done that but heard I should? Thoughts or opinions?

Defragging won't help stop viruses or spyware but it will speed up hard drive access and in some cases it frees up a small amount of disk space. It's not a bad thing to do once in a while, however if it hasn't been done in a long time it can take quite a while to complete.

If you choose to defrag (which I would reccomend), I believe the disk defragmenter is in the accessories menu somewhere (probably under system tools).

UO

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Here is what I use: I use MSN and Comcast and they both offer McAfee Security Center for free. The Virus Scan scored well with PC Magazine.

Here are some spyware and adware programs I use:

Spycatcher Express

Lavasoft Adaware

Spybot S&D

Here's a great free program to keep your registry, cookies, and temp files in order:

CCleaner

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   

However, these programs won't do much without keeping them up to date. Regularly downloading updates is very important if you dont want to get hit by spyware,

That is the clincher! You can spend all the money you want on a program but if it is not kept up to date, it is a waste of your time.

Most big viruses that come out, are simply exploits found in windows. And these exploits are found through windows updates.

Microsoft offers an update, so these excuses for humans see where their is a whole and create an exploit for it. If your always doing your windows updates, these big viruses would never hit you.

Sasser and Blaster were 2 of the biggest viruses of all time, and Microsoft had updates out for them before they even came out.

Stay up to date, stay protected.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Here's a professional's view:

reviews.cnet.com

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Also if you are downloading from P2P networks or using Bit Torrents.

I'd recommend downloading Peer Guardian 2

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
If you are worried about the gov thing, my best advice would be a router. It goes between your modem and your PC. They can be had from about US$40 and up [online retail best, like Directron, TigerDirect].

In the router, you put the domain ".gov" as disallowed.

I also run a light software firewall, just to monitor any apps attempting an outbound connection.

DO NOT open email attachements ........ never never never. EVEN if you know who it is from, as THEY may not know their PC is infected, many virus' are built just for that - attach themselves to outbound email. This is still a highly infectious method, as so many gazillion people use Outlook with not only "Preview" enabled, but "Run EXE" enabled as well !!

Antivirus app is well worth the money [routers do NOT protect against virus downloads/attachments/etc]; bare in mind, Symantec is a known resource hog, and McAfee is quite persnickity. Read reviews on forums from USERS, not the reviews put out by the company themselves.

I think someone mentioned Spyboy S& D -- that little app ROCKS, and it's free!!

NN

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Another suggestion not covered here is to actually sign up for some compure-related courses at a local community college and eventually get comfortable enough with computers to take a security class or two (probably intro courses and not advanced and specliazed ones). Also you might want to pick up a copy of this book and have a read, O'Reilly is a great company for tech books so they wont steer you wrong.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Let's not forget Hijackthis. Just be careful what you remove. This shows you everything you have set to run on your machine. Most should be okay, so be careful not to delete the wron entries.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Let's not forget Hijackthis. Just be careful what you remove. This shows you everything you have set to run on your machine. Most should be okay, so be careful not to delete the wron entries.

I would HIGHLY! recommend you not using that program unless very comfortable with it. If you consider yourself a noob, leave that program alone. You can do some serious harm to your system with it.

As efficient as it is, it can do some damage.

join