It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So this is the cockpit of the F-35? Impressive.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I don't see the Heads Up Display...new technology has able to replace such thing? Is it now to the helmet instead? What happens if the helmet does not function, HUD can be for backup. Looks more hi tech, more than the F-22. Possibly they may put this technology on the future F-22s?

[edit on 20-2-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Helmet mounted displays are great! My cousin who's an avid biker(Kawasaki style) got a wireless HMD installed on his bike and he said he feels much safer on the road as it means he doesn't have to switch his focal point to check his speed, gas, milage, oil temp etc etc. The reason being is that it HMD displays at a focal point of around 20 feet ahead of his bike just below his field of vision so all he has to do is glance down slightly(towards the road as it looks like it's being projected on the road just out in front of his bike) rather then looking down with his head to check all those things.

[edit on 20-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
What happens if the helmet does not function, HUD can be for backup. Looks more hi tech, more than the F-22. Possibly they may put this technology on the future F-22s?

The helmet is just as likely to miss function as the HUD. It might look more high tech but looking at the price tag of and f-35 compared to the price tag of an f-22 i would be suprised if it is. TO me it looks very bare and simple. Is a lot of infomation not projected or is it just presented more efficiantly.

Justin

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
nice

everything on one screen and not spread out through several screens.

touch screen?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3

What happens if the helmet does not function, HUD can be for backup. Looks more hi tech, more than the F-22. Possibly they may put this technology on the future F-22s?

The helmet is just as likely to miss function as the HUD. It might look more high tech but looking at the price tag of and f-35 compared to the price tag of an f-22 i would be suprised if it is. TO me it looks very bare and simple. Is a lot of infomation not projected or is it just presented more efficiantly.

Justin

The JSF Cockpit is supposed to be very simple and near idiot proof. Less distractions means you have more time to pay attention to the job at hand.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I think a minimalistic approach is a good idea. The less stuff you have, the less there is to break. Also by having everything on one screen the pilot can quicky glance and get all the information he needs. To contrast look at the old WW2 bombers where they had so many gauges, especially for the engines, that they needed a seperate person, usually a flight engineer, to moniter them

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I dont know exactly why, but I have about 7,4 GB info and pictures about JSF :-)

external image

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 22/2/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Looks simple to fly if the cockpit is like this, I suppose the rest is in this roumoured Helmet display, I wouldnt fancy having a helmet mounted computer as such.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Browno]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
For those that want a comparision(like me
)

Here is a comparision of a F16 and F35

[edit on 21-2-2006 by sardion2000]

Mod Edit: Picture Position

[edit on 22/2/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Nice indeed. The pilot would enjoy an awesome situation awareness with this concept.

Looking down to one multifunction screen would be better than looking down to several

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
This is a neat cockpit design. As for the missing HUD, I think this might be a test of one of the new Holographic HUD's. Using the newest technology, they can project the info directly on the canopy without the need for a seprate glass screen.

Tim

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghost
This is a neat cockpit design. As for the missing HUD, I think this might be a test of one of the new Holographic HUD's. Using the newest technology, they can project the info directly on the canopy without the need for a seprate glass screen.

Tim

How would this be better then Helmet mounted displays?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Would it impact on the pilots focus? Maybe if the data is projected onto the screen the pilot wont have to change his focus of vision and can keep looking beyond the cockpit? I don't know if this would be possible with data projected about an inch in front of his face?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
You can change the focal area of the HMD to what suits each individual pilot. You want a HUD like display to appear just beyond the canopy? HMD can do it. Holography can't.(correct me if I'm wrong though). That is just an example though and the only experience I have with both technologies is through second hand information(The HMD) and through Disney world(holography).

With a holographic display it would be static I would think. While a variable focal point that an HMD is capable of you can tweak it. :shrug: Also you have to consider how will outside light sources mess with a holographic display as I remember distinctly that they are very sensitive to that sort of stuff.

Take the HMD bike mod. It "projects" all the pertinent information to around the same area as you're focusing NEways soo....

My cousin who's an avid biker(Kawasaki style) got a wireless HMD installed on his bike and he said he feels much safer on the road as it means he doesn't have to switch his focal point to check his speed, gas, milage, oil temp etc etc. The reason being is that it HMD displays at a focal point of around 20 feet ahead of his bike just below his field of vision so all he has to do is glance down slightly(towards the road as it looks like it's being projected on the road just out in front of his bike) rather then looking down with his head to check all those things.

[edit on 22-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Doesnt the HMD also follow where the pilots look as well? If this is correct then if there was an enemy plane coming in on the flank couldnt the HMD help the pilot identify it sooner?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Identify, maybe not. Target, oh yeah. What I like best is that while it appears to be a touch screen, (note the goldish color), there are very few other buttons in the cockpit anywhere other than on the throttle and joystick. (yoke) Which means, there's very little reason for the pilot to ever have to remove thier hands from said controls.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thanks for that, it is just what I was wondering.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Looks more hi tech, more than the F-22. Possibly they may put this technology on the future F-22s?

The F-35 has vastly more powerful computers than the outdated relics in the F-22 and is actually competitive with modern desktop compters so I am hopeful that something not entirely dissimilar will be installed in the F-22. However I am even more hopeful (although Im sure to be bitterly dissappointed) that they will come to their senses and shut down both of these dead-end programs.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by orca71
The F-35 has vastly more powerful computers than the outdated relics in the F-22 and is actually competitive with modern desktop compters so I am hopeful that something not entirely dissimilar will be installed in the F-22.

Computers have a technical life span of about 6 months. After that, they are outdated. So, if we're going by the strict definition of outdated, the computers in both of these aircraft need to be replaced. If you have ever taken a college level computer course, you professor should had told you about this. We already have flight computers coming out that are much more powerful than anything in the F-35.

The Defense Department updates it's computer systems constantly. This is why they have the Block update program for aircraft.

Tim

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

How would this be better then Helmet mounted displays?

I was only explaining what you are seeing! The line about the neat cockpit was a general statement, not a specific oppinion on the the Holographic HUD. I Personally like the Helmet Mounted Dispaly(HMD).

Could they not use a HMD with a holograpic HUD as a backup?

Tim

top topics

<<   2 >>

join