It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

computer help and recommendations please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Ok, first I have a serious love hate relationships with computers-they just seem to freakin up and stop working properly. I have run McAffee for viruses, and spyware, and I've defragged and have like 50% of my memory free-but my computer is so s-l-o-w and I mean FREAKIN unbelievably slow I delete cookies and cashe regularly-like daily and I just don't freakin know! I am thinking of saving some pictures and writing to disc and just dumping everyfreakin thing else and giving it to my kids?

So any advice on all that-appreciated. I don't even know how to dump it all and start from scratch! So "How to's" would be appreciated there.

NOW, I am looking to buy both a new desktop and notebook by this Wed-Feb 22 (2 days away!) and I don't know what I need-somebody help me.

I am going with Dell I am pretty sure, just because of finances but I'd like to know what I really want/need because I am a freakin idiot. I need something middle of the road I suppose, but need some specifics like on memory...you know the basic "MUST HAVE" opinions please and the "DON'T BOTHER" notes too, so I can get what is really needed, but not ripped off. I don't do much gaming-but not saying I wouldn't like to keep that option open I suppose...but thats where the money goes, huh?

also if you know of a better deal/better computer than Dell or horror stories to make me run from Dell-please give them to me by Wed!!!

Anyone? Got anything? What do you have? What do I want? I look at all the specs and go HUH?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
think2much...

Microsoft Online Scan

You can try an online virus scan with Microsoft.

I would recommend this in Safe Mode with Networking

You can get there by tapping F8 on boot up.

You could also visit:

Download.com

On the right hand side you will see items like

Adaware Se Personal
Spybot: Search and Destroy

You could also go to:

Microsoft

And look for the newly released Windows Defender and run this program.

You may have done several of these already but if your not running them in safe mode than your probably not removing all of the infections.

If you go...

Start... Run... regedit...

HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

And Delete all of the keys in here you will limit the items that are beginning on start up. Alot of spyware traces can hide in here as well.

Worst case scenario, 1-888-727-2338 is Microsofts FREE Spyware and virus assistance. You can talk on the phone with a support representative who will assist you with this for free.

Give it a shot if you like. u2u me for any additional information.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Use a decent back up program. Format drive and start over.

You will have to reinstall program and what not. Microsoft has made it pretty easy to get a new key for your system it takes about 15 min.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Worst case scenario, 1-888-727-2338 is Microsofts FREE Spyware and virus assistance. You can talk on the phone with a support representative who will assist you with this for free.

Give it a shot if you like. u2u me for any additional information.

outstanding-thank you...see I need things spelled out.... cuz I be slow
and nothing spitting cobra said made sense to me

Seriously I am that
but I can program bomb runs on a B-52 no problem! LMAO

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here is my advise to you:
Download from downloads.com the following:They are legal and free

Adaware se, spybot search and distroy, ccleaner,and microsofts "defender"

"LOSE THE MACAFEE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(uninstall the program)

It is a well unserstood fact that macaffee local programs conflict with many common programs causing crashes and extreme slowdowns.

Download free avg antivirus, and zone alarm firewall.

After you install these programs, update them and run full scans with them one at a time.

When you are done with that, reboot, and run the defrager (start>accessaries>windowstools>system defragmenter)

hope this helps.

top topics

join