It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do male primates have nipples?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I think we all know why the female primate species has nipples, but why do males? What are your ideas?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Males have nipples because they get half their genetic makeup from females. In the early part of gestation every primate is female and then about half turn into males and the other half remain female. Testosterone prevents those nipples from developing into breasts in most males, though there are medical conditions that can cause breast production in some men called gynoplastia.

The short answer: Males have nipples because females have nipples.

EDIT - This is not only in primates. If you have a male cat or dog at home, pet away the fur on its belly and you'll see very small nipples.

[edit on 20/2/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
If you suck on male nipples long enough they will start to lactate... the basic stuff is there.

tho I have never done this myself to prove it

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
no way? Is that accurate? I am going to keep that in mind for when I have kids. No reason that i have to bear 100% of the burden!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I hear in some species of bats the males tend to lactate as well. Incidentally there is also a higher incidence of homosexuality in that species of bats.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
From an evolutionary standpoint, nipples are basically modified sweat glands.

I have an anthropologist friend who told his girl-friend that, and it ended the relationship (she was a bit flat-chested.)

If you ask why men have nipples from a personal viewpoint, I'd have to say it is so they can up the intensity of sexual intimacy.

"And God looked upon what he had made, and God called it very good."

top topics

join