It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Finally Come to This - Math is Literally Going to Ruin My Life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I'm extremely frusterated. I'm frusterated to the point that you're all lucky there are profanity filters on this forum. My situation breaks down like this: I can't get the business degree I need without these RIDICULOUS Math classes. I'm sitting here, frusterated to the point where I just want to kill myself, trying to study for this test and totally not understanding a thing. This God damned teacher just gave a F-ing test less than two weeks ago This is a 2 day a week class, and there's a test on tuesday (Our last test was a thursday). You do the math. This means 2 class periods were spent actually teaching the material, one of which I missed. After this semester of Math (The one I'm totally not understanding), I've got another 2 to go. I'm basically screwed over thanks to Math. I cannot pass this class. I don't know if it's a mental block or something, but I've been at it for over an hour, using this program that's supposed to tutor you which comes with the book, and I still understand hardly a thing. I just have absolutely no idea what to do. I have to pass this test and I don't understand a damned thing. It's early in the semester, which means it will get even harder, then I've got two semesters after this which will also get more difficult. I think I have reached some sort of mental limit on the amount of this Math I can learn. It's completely and utterly useless for the degree I'm going for, yet it's literally going to keep me from earning my degree I need to start a life (Not to mention blowing the thousands of dollars I'm spending on other classes).

This is Bull Sh*t. Why is it in our system?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Have you stoped to think that maybe you need to be able to do the maths in this job?

Prehaps if you cant do maths you should go find a job that doent require it

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I agree that math sucks, and I hate it as well... I'm not good at it and can't stand having to try when I just never get it.

However, I'm not going to be a Business major--- I'm going to be a Music major... I'm with Tiddly on this one-- Are they general courses or is this stuff you're actually going to need to know how to do?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Herman, take a deep breathe and think about it.

Six months ago i would of said drop the course it isnt worth it.. (because i was in the same situation!)

Seriously ask Asala or DJDOHBOY, I was taking a Business Course. I am now on a BTEC National Business course (A-Levels).

I HATED!!!! maths... with a passion.... i am an "activist".. (a test we did saying what type of person and how we find the best why to learn... ).

When i had Finance (Math) classes i dreaded it.... the numbers... writing of a board... Until i took all the information in.. i didnt understand what it meant but then i went home... wrote it on big pieces of paper and coloured it and made it fun.... Wrote about it and i understood it...

Seriously, it worked for me. Also my tutors told me i wouldnt make it onto the next level of the course and hey guess what i made it and i am doing damn well at the course.

So if there is a teacher you can talk to then talk to them and discuss your options. Also i know in England you can retake courses but we dont have to pay thousands just hundreds.

Alcor they are things we need to know if you go into a business. But Herman it isnt the end of the world! trust me dont be rash and drop the course.

Explain to the teachers the situation and they may give you the benefit of the doubt. You never know! If you want to chat further then u2u me.

Oni x x

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oni x x
So if there is a teacher you can talk to then talk to them and discuss your options.

Explain to the teachers the situation and they may give you the benefit of the doubt.

This is great advice. Remember, you're not just a student, you're a paying customer. if you don't "get it", you need to have that discussion with the instructor. Any instructor worth their salary is interested in assisting any student motivated enough to seek out help. And if they aren't, go to the department head and tell them you're not getting what you're paying for and want to know their policy on rectifying that.

If you don't squeak, they'll assume you don't care. You need to sound off and make them responsive. No one can give you an education. You have to take it, and sometimes you need to resort to some significant proactive action, if you want it bad enough.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thanks a bunch for your responses, guys. As far as needed this material for my career, I highly highly doubt it. See, what I really want to do is own a small business. I'm not totally sure what kind yet (Have some ideas), but I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do. The Math that I'm in now is college algebra (That whole square roots of a #i+ some other number divided by square roots of other things, quadratic formula, etc.) I don't see at all how this could possibly help me in a small business enough to matter THIS MUCH to the college. My uncle did terrible in high school, didn't go to college, and he's a multi millionaire right now because of his business. My did didn't go to college, and he owns a small business that's doing pretty well. I thought I was going to be paying for classes that would benefit me and teach me how to manage a business or something, but now I'm about to have to reconsider my major because of a class I'm most likely never even going to need. (You can tell I'm still frusterated
)

It is good advice though...I'll definitely speak with my teacher about this. The problem is that there's a test tomorrow on material I don't understand (I even tried using, like I said, this math help CD that comes with the book itself and is supposed to guide you through each step.) I'm kind of stressing out about that, because on our last test the class average was a 40% (I got a 30% because I was sick the day before and she didn't tell us there would be a test so I didn't study at all). I can't really afford to fail anymore tests. I might get away with doing bad on this one, but after that I have do do really well on all of my tests.

Argh math sucks!

:bnghd:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
For my first Math class in college, being college algebra, I took Dr. Hu's class.

#1 I was never even taught in public school how to perform long division, it was quite embarrasing, along with many others things.

#2 Dr.Hu (Doctor Who) never once, in the entire course, spoke the english word "The" You can guess the other issues he had with english. He was very knowledgeful, but not really understandable, and certainly not approachable.

I found it easier to simply ask the others students who understood. Anyone who understands math and wont quickly show you how is not human, but a monster.

Math made me change my major very quickly.

I passed the good Dr.'s class with a C- with all my knowledge and far too much luck.

top topics

join