It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Sense

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the nature of man is to be greedy. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. No man who has tasted the fruits of power will ever want to relinquish it or step down from the pedestal willingly. This is one of our natural flaws and no man will ever dare say he is not guilty of wanting more in his life and the necessary persistant pursuit of the 'more'.

Therefore any average joe elevated to the top office will always have the same flaws, behind that mask of smile and charity.

I have no disagreements with the rich, for most of them worked hard to be where they are and deserve that position in life. However, the very reason why they are successful is often the reason why they can never be suited to run a people's assembly, for ruthlessness is a trait of their successes. Humanity will only be ultimately destroyed if run like a corporation, freedoms curtailed, back to the dark ages of monarchies...

Check and balances are the only way to deal with those in power. We, the people, do have a responsibility to ensure we select the right people to represent us in our community and never be apathetic to such powers, for we owe the next generation a responsibility for good or at least moderate governance where freedom rules, and the rich does not get too much power to run the state in place of our elected representatives, whom may be seduced by their powers and politically correct briberies, to keep the question of UFO in the dark.

The technologies of UFO are undeniably far superior to what we have seen up till today. Should such technologies fall into our hands, it would mean empowerment to us. Corporate captains will find themselves out of a livehood.

Take the example of IBM vs Windows. If IBM had their way, we would not be communicating in this manner today, for IBM had no plans to create desktops for the home consumer. Hate Gates all you want, but one cant deny the power he put into our hands.

This post is a definative example of that power - to talk to you in the thousands almost instantly. So much more power that is awaiting us with the advent of Disclosure from UFOs and its byproducts....

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Term Limits (while a good thing imho) do NOT prevent career politicians. Why? Because there are NUMEROUS public offices. If a senator is getting his limit, he then runs for the House, etc. or some other office.

You wouldn't want the poor to be the only ones running things. If you think the rich politicians are bad with money...just wait till someone who can't balance their own checkbook is in charge of BILLIONS of dollars.

I think the single best approach is to really attack Campaign Finance practices.... It's basically legalized bribery, and it's absolutely ridiculous in this country. Rather than go off on a tangent here, rent the movie "Distinguished Gentleman". Although a comedy, it is one of the best examples of this I can think of, and honestly, should be required viewing in school American Govt. classes.

Back on the topic though....until the media takes UFOs and aliens seriously, the people at large won't. Eventually though, SOMETHING will happen to turn them around...

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Term Limits (while a good thing imho) do NOT prevent career politicians. Why? Because there are NUMEROUS public offices. If a senator is getting his limit, he then runs for the House, etc. or some other office.

You wouldn't want the poor to be the only ones running things. If you think the rich politicians are bad with money...just wait till someone who can't balance their own checkbook is in charge of BILLIONS of dollars.

Instead, why not keep politician salaries lower? Maybe because they wouldn't try as hard? The main reason most politicians go into politics in the first place is the prospect of potential power. This attracts greedy, power hungry people. If we kept executive salaries low, then wealth would no longer be an incentive to run for office. Only people who want to lead for the right reasons should lead.

Also, in parallel, prevent politicians from running side businesses that will allow them to have money with their power. In fact, keep business owners from running for offices as well... Actually, just forget it.

There are ways around little tweakings such as these. Greedy, wealthy people will just group together and will put plants into offices to get what they want.

In fact... I'm beginning to wonder if democracy and capitalism actually belong together... We may live in a capitalist nation, but do you really think this is a democracy?

This topic is getting way out of hand. o.o;

Originally posted by Gazrok
Back on the topic though....until the media takes UFOs and aliens seriously, the people at large won't. Eventually though, SOMETHING will happen to turn them around...

Ok, I don't mean any offense to anyone, but this is where I see the failing in every conversation of this kind that ever pops up...

I'm sick of waiting for 'something' to happen. What if that something never does happen? We'll be sitting here waiting for something to happen until we're old and gray. There needs to be more aggressive action towards making this topic be taken seriously. But who is actually willing to do it? Who actually knows how to do it?

EDIT: p.s. I know the stupid rule. The line hasn't been crossed yet.

[edit on 23-2-2006 by CloudlessKnight]

<< 1   >>

join