It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photoreading--truth or fantasy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Photoreading--'discovered' by Paul Scheele, photoreading, as it is called, claims to unlock the brain's vast processing capabilities in the form of reading. Technically, photoreading is not reading at all, but rather the intake of raw visual data for interpretation of the mind.

Trained photoreaders claim to read an average of 25,000 words per minute, well beyond the 250 words per minute of an average, traditional reader. By mentally photographing each page, rather than extracting each word, this seems far from unlikely.

The problem is, is it something we can truly learn? Mr. Scheele claims that by the first hour of training, 96 percent of those who try are able to read at an impressive three times their previous reading speed. It does, however and apparently, take the mind some time to process the new information.

The program costs $250 for the basic training kit, and is exceedingly confident of it's effectiveness, offering a full rebate if training is unsuccessful.

-------------

Okay, here's the deal. I know the mind is capable of doing this. I know it can process information at well beyond 25,000 words per minute. If I can learn how to do it, I will be able to excel at whatever I put my mind to. Grades will skyrocket. Career opportunities will ultimately expand. My pure intelligence will potentially increase to a limitless level...

But I don't want to be swindled. I mean, if I had such knowledge as Mr. Scheele apparently does, I wouldn't charge people for it. It's basically charging people to use their brains, and that's entirely wrong.

But...if this works...it makes one relatively limitless...

Is there harm in trying? Or is there a better way?

Links:

Wikipedia Article, "PhotoReading"

PhotoReading home page

Paul Scheele's page

SubDyn, a less well-known competitor of PhotoReading

A page about "PhotoReading" from SubDyn

[edit on 19-2-2006 by iceofspades]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
But I don't want to be swindled. I mean, if I had such knowledge as Mr. Scheele apparently does, I wouldn't charge people for it. It's basically charging people to use their brains, and that's entirely wrong.

What is wrong with that? Why can't he charge for a system that he created? I've seen this same thing again and again. Don't schools charge you to use your brain? I don't see no problem with selling or charging for something if it's your intellectual property, something that either you have created or have acquired the rights for.

And btw I know about photoreading but I've never tried it.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

What is wrong with that? Why can't he charge for a system that he created? I've seen this same thing again and again. Don't schools charge you to use your brain? I don't see no problem with selling or charging for something if it's your intellectual property, something that either you have created or have acquired the rights for.

And btw I know about photoreading but I've never tried it.

I appreciate your input and my response is...

Just because it's everywhere doesn't make it right. In my eyes, that is. All I'm saying is that if I had the knowledge he claims to have, I would take the pro-bono approach and offer the technique to schools for free, working my way from there. I mean sure, charging a small fee to keep the proliferation afloat is one thing, but charging a large free to maintain a large profit is another. That's the only problem with charging for this type of thing.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Souns like a good technique to learn if you are studying biology.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Before I began high school, back in the late 60's, I took a "speed reading" course that has stood me well throughout my teen years and through university. During my peak, I was able to read at an average of 4500 wpm. But, of course, like anything else, if you don't practice this skill, it deteriorates over time. At present, I read at a rate of about 2500 wpm. This, I should point out is a rate sustained primarily when I am reading for pleasure. Technical material, that is reading that deals with complicated subject matter slows me down considerable....about 700 wpm or so. Incidentally, the average reader reads at a rate of about 350 wpm, so I still read at an above average rate.

The process that the course that I took worked on the principle of expanding the field of vision. That is, the average person "sees" 7 letter spaces at a time. Through the use of a tachistascope, a device that displays reading material at timed intervals, I was able to expand the field of vision from seeing 7 letter spaces at a time to nearly five times as wide. That is to say, instead of seeing only 7 letter spaces at one time, I can read as many as 35 letter spaces. When reading a newspaper or column style material, I can often read an entire line at a time.

Reading is a skill just like speed reading. The more you practice it, the better you become. I have never had any regrets about taking the course and I have often thought about taking a "refresher" course.

Now as for "photoreading", well, all I can say is that it isn't beyond the realm of possibility. I would have a difficult time grasping that one would be reading an entire page at a time but, personally, I never thought that I would be able to read an entire line at a time. So, who knows? Nevertheless, I would not discount this report out of hand. Instead, I would investigate the claims a bit more and, if it seems to be true, I would seriously consider taking this course.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
So it's been two years, any luck with the photoreading???

top topics

join