It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran boycott tasty Danishes shocker!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
In light of the recent political cartoons that have enraged the Middle East, bakeries in Iran have joined the protest by changing the name from "Danish Pastries" to "Roses of the Prophet Mohammed"

sify.com
Bakeries across the capital were covering up their ads for Danish pastries on Thursday after the confectioners' union ordered the name change in retaliation for caricatures of the Muslim prophet published in a Danish newspaper.

"Given the insults by Danish newspapers against the prophet, as of now the name of Danish pastries will give way to 'Rose of Mohammed' pastries," the union said in its order.

"This is a punishment for those who started misusing freedom of expression to insult the sanctities of Islam," said Ahmad Mahmoudi, a cake shop owner in northern Tehran.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well I have to be honest. I'm just gobsmacked. Firebombing embassies and massive protests are one thing, but to change a foodstuff's name because they have the loathsome word "Danish" in it, is quite daft. I did laugh a little. I'll be honest. It's over a cartoon. Perhaps a misjudgement on the paper's behalf but it's a cartoon. And it didn't hurt anyone. Except the folk who rioted and went around hurting people. :/

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.dailyrec ord.co.uk

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
i think they missed something on their list of dannish things to ban, what about yummy dannish bacon

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I dont really think that danish bacon is a big seller any way in Iran.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Wonder where they got that idea from?

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Yup. And they make Freedom Fries look like a brilliant idea, comparatively.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
yes because neither is more childish than the other

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Cartoon riots aren't exactly the icon of sanity either. Wouldn't expect anything ushered from it to be any more relevant.

More stupidity begats more stupidity...ad infinitum

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
MOD EDIT: Next time try to add something to the conversation.

[edit on 2/19/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

...I did, I found it humorous yet sad at the same time. I expressed that in my laughing monologe.

[edit on 19-2-2006 by SABOTWULF]

[edit on 19-2-2006 by SABOTWULF]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yes, it's funny
Now they will change cheeseburgers to "Daffodils of the 3rd Caliph".

new topics

top topics

join