It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ugly People More Dangerous? Federally Funded Study Says So.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
the Fox story on this had a video with a group of black moslims with prayercloths while they talked playing, does this mean that muslims and blacks are more prone to ugliness? was this what was being suggested? did the people who took that survey have this bias also?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Quite subjective to begin with, as I assume the ones doing the study decided who was attractive and who wasn't (someone had to decide this!); Views with which I would possibly (probably?) disagree.

In the article it says they used groups of people and asked them, individually, to rate pictures of people they were studying. It seems like a decent enough control to me. If you ask 100 people to rate 1 picture, I think you'd get a pretty good spectrum of what is considered attractive and can find a mean.

Dawnstar, I wouldn't read much into Fox News, if I were you. I don't know how they are viewed in America, but they are an international joke here in Europe. We get clips from O'Reilly and Cabuto on our comedy shows, and even sometimes mainstream news, over here as examples of American extremism. Sometimes, they're even alongside your religious extremists Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell, who have been described as Christian Al Qaeda on more than one occasion by our media.

~MFP

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
you mean they aren't the christian version of al quada? hmmm.....

but, as to why I pay attention to what the loons say...

ummm, in case you haven't noticed, they appear to have control or our gov't....

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   

ummm, in case you haven't noticed, they appear to have control or our gov't...

Well, it's good to know some Americans realize that, hehe. You honestly have no idea how disheartening it is for us over here to see your nation go from internationally loved to internationally hated in less than 6 years. I don't see why you people didn't let Clinton stay in, everyone loved him.

~MFP

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
well, then you should understand why some of us in the US could foresee just how a study like this could be used by some to proclaim all liberals as addicted, divorced deadbeat dads or welfare moms, who's homosexuality has caused the breakup of their marriage. They're mentally deranged, ugly losers, drowning in debt, inclined to commit criminal acts and must be locked up in specially designed institutions where overdoses of prozac and plastic sergury is used to "alleviate" their suffering and help them adjust to the new world order!!

have I left any traits out???

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'm going to bite.

Before this study ever came out I noticed that rather unattractive people work at gas stations and menial jobs. I also wondered to myslef if they were better looking, would they have better jobs. I do think they would.
I felt bad for them because they are doomed to a life of living below the poverty level. Of course, they also seemed less educated (and I don't mean everyone who works menial jobs).

Let's face it, America is pretty superficail when it comes to looks and yes most of us judge people on their looks.

But.....there are ugly professionals too.

Now, some of these types of people could change their image just by being better at how they groom themselves. But I think this study has a ring of truth to it. I think ugly people probably do have a disadvantage.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join