It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting article on Malaysias' "Bigfoot"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Hi

Saw this article this morning on another site -

www.cryptomundo.com...

Went to the link given to check it out -

www.bernama.com.my...

Seems to be a genuine Malaysian news site - although not sure if it's a Pravda type one though! Interesting thoughts about a remnant Orang-Utan population though, almost as interesting as if the reputed Malaysian "Bigfoot" does exist! Couple of points though - there are vast areas of unexplored jungle in SE Asia so it's possible there's a remnant Orang-Utan population. It's also possible that there's an undiscovered large primate as well. If this info is true though, I fail to see how anyone who is interacting with a 11 ft. high creature can mistake it for a 5" high one can you? I guess it's possible that this is a true story and that they have been keeping it under wraps. This would be truly amazing wouldn't it if either possibility is true

Of course, it may be that it's total rubbish and all that will come out of it is a few blobsquatch shots etc.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Very interesting stuff - I Read it as well from that sight. I do not know how a wildlife preservation agency can mix-up a huge beast with a 5ft Orangutang.
Of course, this can be a publicity stunt. But then again why would a wildlife preservation agency who tries to keep away people from wildlife do such a thing.

As you said, there are many uncharted areas in the world in Asia, Africa and South America as well. I think we are in for many surprises in years to come.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by maldives01
www.bernama.com.my...

Seems to be a genuine Malaysian news site - although not sure if it's a Pravda type one though!

Bernama is a trustworthy source. It's a Malaysian newswire service something like our version of Reuters. This piece of news came up on several local news channels and pretty much all the local newspapers. I tried looking for the articles in the website archives of most of the dailies they have been taken off except for one:

The New Straits Times

The Johor National Parks Corporation is willing to collaborate with anyone wanting to carry out a study to verify the existence of "Bigfoot" in Johor.

Its director, Hashim Yusoff, said today there was a need for a scientific study to determine once and for all if such a creature existed in Johor.

Without dismissing the claims of sightings of "Bigfoot", he said his staff had found no physical evidence of the presence of "Bigfoot" either in the Endau-Rompin National Park or the Tanjung Piai National Park.

Sightings of hairy creatures said to be about three metres tall have trickled in over the years, especially from along the forest spine connecting Endau Rompin, Kota Tinggi and Tanjung Piai.

In the latest sighting, a fish researcher from the Johor branch of the Malaysian Nature Society claimed he spotted "Bigfoot" footprints at a swamp near Sungai Sedili in Kampung Mawai, Kota Tinggi.

Johor is the southernmost state in Peninsular Malaysia, just north of Singapore. It is noted for it's National Parks and Forest Reserves which protect it's virgin rainforests and biodiversity. The park mentioned in the article, Endau-Rompin National Park is the second largest national park in the Peninsular, encompassing covering 489 km² of tropical rainforests.

There's still plenty of species in those parks that scientists have yet to discover and identify, so it's quite possible that this "Bigfoot" is another species of ape that's still to be discovered. I'm not sure about orangutans though, they're supposed to be in East Malaysia on the island of Borneo. I have not heard of any orangutan sightings in the Peninsular as yet. But that's not to say that there definitely isn't any.

The jungles here are very thick and every year we have groups of people who go in for treks or for camping trips and inevitably someone will stray from the group while following a butterfly or something else and they'd just vanish after that. Some who vanish reappear weeks later with the most fantastic tales. There are those who claim they heard a voice calling them and that's how they got separated. Others claim to have been kidnapped by the Orang Bunian which are the local version of elves or spirit folk. There are even tales of those who appear years later yet they say it felt like they've only been gone for a couple of days. It's like there a time warp when they enter the Orang Bunian communities.

Scary stuff. I think I may have seen a group of these Orang Bunian women dancing -- such lovely creatures they are. But then again I could've been halucinating; that night I had a bit too much tapai, a slightly alcoholic, sweetly flavoured rice pudding. That could've gotten to my head!

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Hi Judah,

Think you are right - many surprises in the years to come, and yeah, I think SE Asia - Malaysia, New Guinea etc. and also S. America. I also think the Congo - hopefully Mkele Mbembe
Started a thread about this years' discoveries and what people thought they might be, but like most of my highly interesting threads it just sort of fizzled out.........

Here's a link to it -

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Hope we get BIG news soon!

[edit on 19-2-2006 by maldives01]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Hi Beachcoma!

Great info from the guy on the ground! ( Saw you were from there on the "crows" thread) I thought the source was reliable as I checked a few other stories and there were none of the "Sea Monster seen wearing Gucci shoes" type headlines
Good links as well - hope there is something to this. Apparently Orang-Utans used to inhabit Malaysia, but were though to be extinct there - would be good if they found a remnant population or even a sub-species. A new primate would be even better of course
Loved your story about the Orang-Bunian and the tapai overdose

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by maldives01
Apparently Orang-Utans used to inhabit Malaysia, but were though to be extinct there [...]

Just a little correction here, they are thought to be extinct in the wilds of the Peninsular side of Malaysia. They're still around on the Borneo side of the country -- probably because development has been focused on the peninsular side, leaving the Borneo side still pretty remote and tropical.

Glad you liked that tapai story

But all kidding aside, those Orang Bunians are a real mystery here, at least in the rural areas close to virgin jungles. In the cities you hear of all kinds of Hantu or ghosts. But that's another story for another time.

P.S.
@ Sea Monsters seen wearing Gucci shoes.
That's brilliant!

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Beachcoma - sorry, meant Peninsular, forgot Borneo was part as well! ( Embarassed grin!) Thers also Orang Pendek and some others I forgot the names of - hope this is true and something turns up! Glad you liked the joke

new topics

top topics

join