It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetically, who should make first contact?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
All right. Imagine, if you will, a hypothetical scenario in which an extraterrestrial craft, complete with a crew of aliens, lands on Earth.

Who should be tapped to approach them?

Would we send a governmental official? Which country would have the honor of representing Earth in our first contact with a species from another planet? What others should be present-- linguists, biologists, journalists, generals? Should we value charisma and good photo ops over authenticity and send in a movie star with a pre-written script? Or should the poor farmer on whose land the craft touched down be given the prestige attendant to Earth's first interstellar liason?

There are practical, ethical, political, and scientific concerns to keep in mind... I've been mulling over this for a while. If anybody shows interest in this thread I'll blather on some more about my opinions on the matter.

(edited for spelling)

[edit on 18-2-2006 by The Parallelogram]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Seems to me, politicians/military being first, could endanger us all. Or they would twist that facts so much you couldn't be sure what really happened. I wouldn't want any religious leaders there, that could potentially be as bad as the politicians. No corporate leaders who are in it for a buck or two.

Most people in any position of power might use the situation to gain more power.

Seems like the best candidate might just be that regular guy, the farmer.

But that's just my opinion.

Hopefully aliens would be informed enough to know who they should talk to.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Well i think in all seriousness it should be a representative from the UN, as this represents all of Earth (putting aside politics for a mo) It would tie in nicely with the recent UN resoultion on ET Contact which was passed in December which of course has been discussed on ATS.

Mind you if they land in Times Square or Trafalgar Square (London UK) for example they might just have to do with a New York Cabbie or London Cabbie !!!

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
if it choses to go to the govt and we dont know wats going on?

what if the govt says... there our slaves! or.. there our food! or...
they think there gods them selfs!

what would the aliens think or not to mention what would they do to us!!

i think it should be a member of the public.. one that aint ocult>or what ever...

any race!

--------

ok here is a scenario

1. they fly about in the sky for like 10 hours or sumfin
2. they try to make contact
-- if they dont make contact will they go away?
-- if they do they might land...
3.they land and make contact with the first human they meet
-- if they talk what would have to be said?
-- how would they get the govt to let they stay on this plannet
-- what if the millitary starts fireing at em and start a war against em?
4. if they start to trust us and they hear lies would they leave this plannet?
5. would they allow us to leave our plannet? or would the govt allow it?

i know the next question might be desgusting or what ever but ill go on..

6. would they allow human-alien crossbreed

7. would we have the chance to go out of our solar system alone using there machines..?
8. would there be a cure for everything release to the public if there was any sutch thing?
9. would we be able to evolve into there form once we gain the knowledge they have?... i know it shounds weird but it might happen

10. if this plannet was to fall apart would they let us go with them?
11. if the govt gaint tech anti gravity then, if the world was to be the end would they pick everyone up to get off the plannet

[edit on 19-2-2006 by skywatcher7]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
UN would be my first shot. After that, some major more or less neutral land. Preferably some non-nuclear WMD country.

Definately not the US, Russia or China. Maybe Germany or India? The later one is because I dont know about their world-politics so much, and initially they dont seem so obsessed with sticking their hands in everybody's discussions..

England or France wouldnt be a good choice either, they are too friendly with the US.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Most certainly, a single contact wouldn't even need to be hushed up, rather simply ignored, imagine somebody came to this forum with a bunch of photos and videos, claiming contact with ETs, some would believe, most of us wouldn't.

Repeated contact is something else entirely, and sooner or later it would make mainstream, but i fail to see the motivation on their part.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
personally .... I think just an avg... person who is not sick in the head and does not pan handle on the street. Would be a good choice because that person can name all the things wrong with this world and should be avoided. Hell if it was me. Take me up in the ship and I will tell you every thing that is wrong with out world and humans today because I would not lie and certainly not wish the animals on earth ultimate death.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by salsa
personally .... I think just an avg... person who is not sick in the head and does not pan handle on the street. Would be a good choice because that person can name all the things wrong with this world and should be avoided. Hell if it was me. Take me up in the ship and I will tell you every thing that is wrong with out world and humans today because I would not lie and certainly not wish the animals on earth ultimate death.

I like this approach... brutal honesty might be best. Rather than risk upsetting them once they find out we're not all that great, we'd probably be better off giving them the whole truth right up front.

Any person acting on behalf of any political, social, international, religious, military, or even scientific organization would be likely to provide a skewed perspective, and would likely oversell the ingenuity, the state of advancement, and the reasonableness of the human race.

So, yes... I'd just send in an average joe, somebody who won't mess things up but won't sugarcoat things either. I certainly think our man (or woman, or Eddie Izzard) should have the assistance of a team of highly trained scientists, but those guys can pretty much keep quiet, and let the man off the street be the mouthpiece for the human race.

Of course, a lot of you make good points: what if the aliens had performed a thorough reconaissance and have advance knowledge of our planet? who would they percieve to be the de facto head of Earthling affairs?

[edit on 19-2-2006 by The Parallelogram]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
If we are really talking a first contact situation here, and not a crash landing, an attack or something else I would have to assume that the aliens have some idea of how they want it handled. If they wanted to meet with the UN, they would probably show up at the UN, or make some sort of arrangements before landing. If they land in country X they probably want to talk to an official from country X. If they land in Joe Bob's field then they probably want to talk to Joe Bob. It would be presumptuous to second guess their method of contact. If they are being diplomatic then the diplomatic response would be to respond in kind, not force our idea of who they should be talking to on them. If they are not being diplomatic then we don't really need to worry about first contact ettiquette.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If they landed it should take place there.

Otherwise a neutral location, wherever that may be?

There should be a small military force present but in a non-threatening manner, and working in accordance with the UN.

I think the "interview" should be broadcasted world wide so there should be various newscrew. There should be a representive from the UN to formulate the "interview" questions. Ideally a xenopsychologist and a xenolinguistic to convey those questions (these are hypothetical fields).

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I would think that the most even ground for contact would be children. They are least contaminated by bias and fear. That's just me though.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Kenneth Roth, Executive Director, Human Rights Watch

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think I have to agree with Children ! As young as possible the better. But they need to have decent verbal skills, and draw pictures of thier feelings. So maybe 3 or 4 year olds. Maybe a classroom of kids with a Teacher.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
anyone but the Middle East, they would Jihad and start a interstellar war
over nothing

i think where ever they decide to land is who gets to meet them, either
the Middle of New York, or the Middle of Montana

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
IMO it should be:

1. A schmuck. Someone who isn't conected to the government or any other major social institutions.
2. An atheist. That way we won't get any "You're our Gods!" or worse "You are evil spirits that were exiled from Heaven for rebelling against the Lord. DIE!"
3. Someone who has had a 'real' life. If you send someone who has never been out of money or experienced loss, they'll experience everything through rose tinted glasses.
4. Someone from ATS or related website.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi all, i searched through the archive and i couldn't find any mention of the UN resolution on ET's mentioned on this thread. Could some point it out to me please as i may not have searched for the right thing. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I would hope they wouldn't be so rude as to show up unannounced. Because if that was the case, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to meet them with as much military force as we can muster, as fast as we can. The last thing we need is to have them give us some kind of instantly fatal alien herpes that'll wipe 99 percent of us out before we can say, "boo." Better to shoot first and ask questions later.

First contact, in the best possible scenario, should be by radio or TV. Give us about 20 years to get used to the idea, then stage some kind of carefully controlled face-to-face contact (if they have a face). If we have the choice. Which is unlikely.

Anyway, I'm of the personal opinion that if there are any aliens out there (and thus far we have exactly ZERO evidence that there are), then they are so utterly alien that it may take us hundreds of years to even begin to find a basis for communication. I'm talking alien!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu
I would hope they wouldn't be so rude as to show up unannounced.

Unless of course they tried to contact us and 1) Were unsuccessful or 2) their attempts were thwarted by the government and powers that be

(and thus far we have exactly ZERO evidence that there are)

You mean zero proof. There is plenty of evidence. Abduction testimonies is evidence. Plenty other evidence has been presented in the Aliens & UFOs forum.

[edit on 052828p://21u38 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
IMHO ...They'll probably make first contact in Africa. They'll see how the rest of the civilizes world treats this society and then back off and destroy everything except Africa....

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
F*@K the mil/gov..I say they (aliens) come and make their precense known, and make a big show about it, so there is NO DENYING IT!. BUT I think if they get to us first (which I think is more likley) They should make the first contact...if WE (meaning the people) (Your government) makes first contact then who knows what will happen...many more lies, cover-up, weather balloons???

My vote goes to Simon (GREY)

[edit on 21-2-2006 by glan2]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join