It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS doing okay?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I just noticed these as well. Not much a bother, as long as they're not the ones that blink and make noise.

Whatever helps the site

--Kit.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I didn't think they would bother me, but they do.

To me the new ads are just as disruptive as one liners and other behaviors discouraged by the T&S.

Is there any way to set up a donation system where we can pay for a certain amount of time for no ads?

I use opera so I never even see the pop ups on ATS.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftBehind
I use opera so I never even see the pop ups on ATS.

...which is probably one of the reasons why Skeptic has to start inserting google ads.

---Pineapple

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Come on LeftBehind...is it really that hard to pull ur scroll wheel one or 2 extra clicks to get past it? I dont mind em at all SO. Whatever it takes to keep this great site FREE. Im all for it.

XL5

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
To save space, I think there should be a vote on a voting system that the member with over 100 posts can use to vote out old posts. You know, the posts that are less then a page long and are more of an opinion or a "OMG whatz0rs was tahts!!!1@@?" kind of post.

But there a limit to the amount of AD's that most member will stand. SO, is there a personal limit you have to the amount of AD's are seen or are you basing it on feedback in threads like this?

I think there should be ATS related AD's here for cool stuff (the shirts are nice). Maybe some magnetic levitating gyro-tops, huge crop circle posters, member drawen alien art (nullster), black ATS hats labled like those swat/FBI hats, $5 custom smilies (if thats possible), old VHS alien type movies signed by a mod (or any one important the mods can find) or $100 for a TV appearance if ATS gets on TV.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I say bring on the ads.... As long as Im not inundated with popups galore like right when I go to log in. (Which BTW is about 6 before I can even get to log in) Right now I'm poor, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so if this became a pay site, I unfortunately would have to leave the family

And that would make me sad

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I think the most distracting thing about them is how they interrupt the flow of the posts, with that large gap.

However, in most people's posts they tend to have extra room below the buttons for their screennames, find posts, etc.

What if the ads were placed there? The space is empty anyways, and it wouldnt create a gap in the thread posts (well, any more of one)

---Pineapple

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I don't think you get the import of SO's words. Click fraud is a huge issue with Google, if they see a pattern of IP's from people clicking heaps of adverts they can, and have banned advertisers.

If you want to take out a websites advertising then go ahead, but real clicks not click fraud is the only way to help the site.

Originally posted by Klepto

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

The majority (over 90%) of the ads are pay-per-click... Though as traffic continues to increase, we're beginning to attract impression-based advertisers. However, we cannot promote that you wander about clicking on the ads.

i get you SO..

say no more, say noooo mooore.

[edit on 19-2-2006 by Netchicken]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
I don't think you get the import of SO's words. Click fraud is a huge issue with Google, if they see a pattern of IP's from people clicking heaps of adverts they can, and have banned advertisers.

Happened to me.

And the worst part - there's no defense. Google will not give out any information about what happened and when, they just pull the account and that's that.

So, tread lightly with ads.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
I don't think you get the import of SO's words.
[edit on 19-2-2006 by Netchicken]

.. you thought wrong. I don't think you think that I thought this could be serious. I think the problem lies in the fact you thought you were thinking.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The Best Policy

Just to reiterate what's been said, it will not help ATS to just go around randomly clicking ads in an attempt to boost click-throughs or whatever.

If you see something that interests you, by all means go for it. If not, no worries.

Ads may well be a hassle -- those flash animations just murder my bandwidth and browser (when you use multiple tabs like I do) -- but they are infinitely better than membership fees and pledge drives.

Some people maliciously and groundlessly attack ATS for being funded by advertising while ignoring what's really going on. Whatever.

For my part, I'm glad the Amigos are looking at ways to get rid of pop-ups and other nuisance ads, and always seeking to make the ATS experience more enjoyable -- while keeping the bills paid.

Just one of the many things that makes me an ATS fanboi.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join