It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS doing okay?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
To my knowledge ATS is completely funded by ads and any left over money is donated to charity. That is a pretty big accomplishment.

I've noticed that there are now ads breaking up the threads, like what a non-member would see. Does this mean that the ads that were funding ATS in the past are no longer enough and new ads need to be brought in?
Is ATS facing a financial struggle?

I hope everything is okay.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
'Tis always been like that. At least in my memory.

[edit on 18-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I just noticed those ads now, I thought, "what the...?" and then realised the ad was in the thread.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
sardion2000, I've never seen this before today.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I just noticed the same thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
damn it be messing up my mouse scrollin!

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
i have noticed a rise in ads like at the top where i would get the top 5 recent replied threads that i was part of has been replaced by all ads.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I have been here 8months and i have only today seen an ad break up a post.

I have seen them before but when i am not signed in. Hope everything is cool.

Oni x x

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I wonder if it has something to do with ATS having hackers attempt to gain access that I read about in another thread.

Maybe this is one of ATS's backup systems????

If it is an old backup system, that may explain the advertisements in the threads?

Does this sound plausible??

Later,.... Bill

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It takes a lot of money to maintain large sites. Even more when membership is free.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
i have noticed a rise in ads like at the top where i would get the top 5 recent replied threads that i was part of has been replaced by all ads.

SkepticOverlord addressed this earlier this month.

We're getting cranked up with a new provider of network ads, advertising.com.

For the first day or so, we'll be seeing the same ad while they quantify our traffic and reach.

Is the Banner broken

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
That has been 10 days but obviously it is being sorted today.

hope it goes well.

Oni x x

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I've never seen Google ads in the middle of threads before today either.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've noticed the the Google ads inserted in the threads also. Their small and rather inconspicuous, for the most part.

Has anyone taken notice to the level/caliber of ads in the top banner? They seem to have "gone up a notch", with regards to corporate branding. Maybe it's just me but the vast majority seem to be from a higher tier of brands. Typically, the higher the tier the higher the impression fee.

All said and done, I don't have an issue with the new ads.

Perhaps, take a minute to consider the costs of bandwidth alone for the recent Serpo extravaganza! Add to that the ongoing "What the H Hit the Pentagon" threads.

If I recall SO recently mentioned some much needed hardware/load balancing upgrades.

In my opinion, if the inserted Google ads and higher tier impressions are necessary to meet the financial requirements for hardware upgrades, so be it!

Whatever it takes works for me.

[edit: spelling]

[edit on 2/18/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't mind the ads, but I do mind where they are placed...

I'd prefer them on the side.... I can't help it, I just find them irritating when placed in the middle of threads.

[edit on 18-2-2006 by loam]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I'm experimenting with new in-page ads. The hope is that the new technique will be able to provide enough overall revenue so that we can eliminate pop-ups (which pay the most).

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'd rather see in-page ads instead of those annoying pop-ups.

Besides, everyone's got bills to pay.

Later,.... Bill

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Excuse Mr Skeptic Overlord sir?

May I ask a question, do you get paid per advert displayed or per click?

If it is per click I will be happy to get clicking and earning some money for good ol ATS, also is there a way to donate money?
I think this might be a good idea to put a button on the website for donations, i would be more than happy to throw a tenner your way each month!

Thats Her majestys great british pounds by the way!

Thanks
Dan

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The best donation any member can make is quality posts... Those pay dividends for years.

The majority (over 90%) of the ads are pay-per-click... Though as traffic continues to increase, we're beginning to attract impression-based advertisers. However, we cannot promote that you wander about clicking on the ads. We regularly review all ad programs in an effort to get some quality ads our members might find interesting.

If all goes will with some of the new placements and ad networks, we may be able to remove the pop-ups that guests receive.

-

Posted Via ATSmobile (BETA v0.3)

-

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

The majority (over 90%) of the ads are pay-per-click... Though as traffic continues to increase, we're beginning to attract impression-based advertisers. However, we cannot promote that you wander about clicking on the ads.

i get you SO..

say no more, say noooo mooore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join