It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communion: A True Stoy (creating an e-book version. Need Help.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well folks I OWN that book Communion: A True Story but I wish to have a digital version of it, thing is there is none. I've painstakingly typed in the Prelude & FIRST CHAPTER of the book into my computer, my computer scanner is crap when trying to span in the the pages of the book it blacks out where the pages connect into the spine (middle of the open book) and I press the book as flat as I can.

The book is divided up in sections here is the table of contents

Prelude: The Truth Behind the Curtain (completed)

One: Invisble Forest: First Memories (completed)

Two: Down the Cave of Mind: Hypnosis

Three: The Color of the Dark: Insight

Four: The Sky Beneath My Feet: A Journey To My Past

Five: Alliance of the Lost: Recollections of My Family

Six: A Structure in the Air: Science, History, and Secret Knowledge

Epilogue

Appendex I

Appendex II

Can anyone else help me make a digital version? I am keeping the book in the format of the mass market paperback with the except of putting spaces between paragraphs. It is sadistic to try to type all 300 pages into a wordprocesser by myself, I badly need help.

If we can work together we can have the whole book in digital form in no time. I have the chapters PRELUDE and Chapter ONE completed, will anyone else help me with the rest?

Here is the file of what I have completed so far DOWNLOAD

[edit on 18-2-2006 by TinFoilHatMan55]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm averaging SIX PAGES a day when typing the book into my computer I have 250 pages left so I have 42 days (6 weeks) until I have the whole book typed into the computer.

Too bad I can't find the book on a file sharing network or as a purchasable e-book. Oh well.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55

I've painstakingly typed in the Prelude & FIRST CHAPTER of the book into my computer, my computer scanner is crap when trying to span in the the pages of the book it blacks out where the pages connect into the spine (middle of the open book) and I press the book as flat as I can.

Try cutting a rectangular strip of white printing paper to make a dividing bridge you can place between the two pages. The scanner should just see the piece of blank white paper.

Who knows sometimes things like that work. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
whilst you may OWN a copy of the book, i dont think that gives you the right to reproduce it in digital format without the authors/publishers consent as that would be breaking copyright law.

i suggest you get in touch with either and ask for permission and your reasons for wanting to reproduce it in digital form. the authors website is easily found and you can contact him via email there

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

whilst you may OWN a copy of the book, i dont think that gives you the right to reproduce it in digital format without the authors/publishers consent as that would be breaking copyright law.

Under FAIR USE I have every right to make a digital copy of it.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Distributing on the internet is not part of your fair use. I wouln't be surprised if the publisher contacts you and/or the owner of this website regarding this.

Basically, you have uploaded a pirated copy of somebody elses work to abovetopsecret.com's server making you and the website owners liable.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Distributing on the internet is not part of your fair use. I wouln't be surprised if the publisher contacts you and/or the owner of this website regarding this.

Basically, you have uploaded a pirated copy of somebody elses work to abovetopsecret.com's server making you and the website owners liable.

I only posted The Prelude & Chapter One to show what format I want it in. I have no intention of distributing the book online. I just need help creating a digital backup copy of the BOOK I OWN. I have rights under FAIR USE to make a backup copy.

I seem not to be getting any help. It looks like I'll have to do all the work myself anyway. Since when is everyone on the board fascists?

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Did you try that paper trick with the scanner?

Maybe you can just cover one page with a piece of paper and scan one page at a time.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55

Under FAIR USE I have every right to make a digital copy of it.

not if you are intending to copy the whole book. that is breach of copyright and NOT fair use

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

not if you are intending to copy the whole book. that is breach of copyright and NOT fair use

Check this out The fair use doctrine allows an individual to make a copy of their lawfully obtained copyrighted work for their own personal use. SOURCE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also

Fair use allows consumers to make a copy of part or all of a copyrighted work, even where the copyright holder has not given permission or objects to your use of the work.

Although the legal basis is not completely settled, many lawyers believe that the following (and many other uses) are also fair use:

*Space-shifting or format-shifting - that is, taking content you own in one format and putting it into another format, for personal, non-commercial use.

*Making a personal back-up copy of content you own SOURCE

See I have every right under FAIR USE to make a digital back up of the Communion: A True Story book I own, as long as I don't distribute it online, which wasn't my intention. I just wanted help completing making a copy of it due to the time comsumming nature of transferring print matter into a digital format. Although I seem to be going it alone on this anyway.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
TinFoil
hey, I can help you if you'd like. I can have the whole thing completed in 4-8 days. After completing this ebook what do you plan to do with it? If you have a a physical copy why need one online? I will not help reproduce something that will infringe on copyright laws. Get back to me with your explanation and we can talk further.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrjenka
TinFoil
hey, I can help you if you'd like. I can have the whole thing completed in 4-8 days. After completing this ebook what do you plan to do with it? If you have a a physical copy why need one online? I will not help reproduce something that will infringe on copyright laws. Get back to me with your explanation and we can talk further.

Yes I own a physical copy of the book as I mentioned earlier at the beginning of my first post. I am trying to do the work myself but my scanner just blacks out the text in the middle of the book (from where it runs down to the spine of the book.) So I have to type the book in page by page.

I wasn't planning on putting the digital copy online. I just want a BACKUP COPY just in case something happens to my physical copy. I do have a right to make a BACKUP COPY under Fair Use as long as I don't sell it or distribute it, which isn't my intintion.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
you will probably have something to the effect of " No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher" somewhere in the book.

the link you provided states that you are allowed to make a copy of a cd for your own personal use as that IS legal, but scanning book chapters and making them available online ( fairuse.stanford.edu... ) or asking other people to scan them for you does not constitute 'fair use' and you have done both of the above.

the last company i worked for were involved with digital rights management so i do know what i am talking about. if YOU personally scan the chapters of the book and use them ONLY for yourself then that is legal but what you did in your first post and what you asked wasn't. hope that clears it up for you

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   

the last company i worked for were involved with digital rights management so i do know what i am talking about. if YOU personally scan the chapters of the book and use them ONLY for yourself then that is legal but what you did in your first post and what you asked wasn't. hope that clears it up for you

Look I've been through this before. Here it is again. I just want to make a BACKUP COPY for myself of the Communion book I own. I am legally allowed to do this. I just need help completing the task due to the time consumming nature of it. I only posted PRELUDE and CHAPTER ONE as an example of the format I want the file to be in. I never did nor do I have an intention of placing the complete book online nor on file sharing networks.

This is becoming a headache arguing with you people. This thread should be deleted. I'm sick of making the same statements over and over again.

I deleted the txt file I uploaded as an example of what I wanted. I'm not going to post anymore on this website.

Bye.

[edit on 19-2-2006 by TinFoilHatMan55]

new topics

top topics

join