It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with my pug

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Okay ive got this pug that will be 2 years old in june, and we fixed him in oct before his first birthday and he has a habbit of dry hugging one of our other dogs and he gets his do-hickt stuck and he just stands still with his tail uncurled and he has this sad look on his face...should i take him to the vet? or is it something he'll just do no matter what?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Awww, poor little bugger... feel bad for the guy, getting stuck and all that.

You could always take the mean route and hose him down (or a glass of water, whatever.) See if that'll work. I'd also recommend trying to catch him in the act and stop him before he gets going. The whole "ah ah ah ah", chase with a newspaper (just swat your leg or your hand or something, not the dog), just try and scare him out of the mood.

You might want to talk to your vet about it when you take them in for a checkup, but (as far as I know anyways) you shouldn't have to make a special trip for it. Unless he gets really stuck.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
um...how about just giving him some privacy

Hard to believe he still feels the need, but getting "stuck" is normal, ever seen when dogs end up back to back? Stuck...but just fine in time...it's part of the process and it's normal...how does the bitch feel about it-apparently she doesn't mind?

I'd say for comic relief during those moments pop Dayglo Abortions into the CD player and listen to "Two dogs F___ing"

but seriously, why take him to the vet? No harm no foul-he's fine...

...and that look isn't a sad one it's an elated tired "duh" look
(Note: common among the human male after such an act as well)

or do you just mean "Stuck" as in unsheathed? Not stuck in the bitch? Dogs can do that humping legs, pillows soafas-whatever-again, as far as I know, no damage done, so no harm no foul.

You could use the discouragement mesures...but how would you like it if whenever you had a natural urge, someone chased you around with a scarey newspaper slapping sound! But that would work if you really feel the need to stop it.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
well the dog he humps is 2 to 3 times biger than him so he ussally humps her neck or back and when i said stuck i meant that its stuck out side and he can't bring it back ussaly what happens is pig the female dog gets up and walks away and hes standing there in pain.
So truefuly i don't think he ever gets off.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
aw poor guy nothing for all his effort...

Really though he's fine and I wouldn't worry about it...you'd think if it was a bad time for him he'd give up tryin, eh? He must get something out of it or the "pain" of the previous time would override the lust.

you can speak about it with your vet-a phone call would do but I'm sure (unless money grubbing) they'll say no harm no foul basically. He's fine-an unsheathed penis isn't an ordinary state of being, but it isn't an unnatural one of course, nor a painful one.

If your worried about BB, well he has none right?
and if he needed to he'd attack your leg...for now, lets just be grateful he's using other dogs!

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wings
Okay ive got this pug that will be 2 years old in june, and we fixed him in oct before his first birthday and he has a habbit of dry hugging one of our other dogs

If the dog is fixed, there is no "urge". He's not humping out of sexual urge, he's telling the others that he wants everyone to know that he's the alpha dog.

I have a female that does this. It's usually during play and it's a bit like the game, "King of the Mountain". The one on top is the boss of the others.

If we're watching TV and they do it on front of us, my husband usually yells, "Down in front"!

I discourage the humping. It's pack behavior and it's important that he know's YOU're the alpha, not him.

I can't speak to the getting stuck part. Like I said, mine are both females.

[edit on 18-2-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I would agree it's alpha behavior, but not being a dog, I will say we don't know if he is still capable of urges/ enjoyment.

But yeah, even females will do the humping thing, but personally I don't believe it's always necessary to "break their spirit" and prove they are not the alpha dog andthat you are in charge, as people and pets can coexist without that heirarchy...they know who sets the rules and feeds them...and will defend that person till death usually.

"down in front!" now that is funny!

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
BH is correct, He/she is showing dominance. Even when humping you.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by think2much
I don't believe it's always necessary to "break their spirit" and prove they are not the alpha dog andthat you are in charge, as people and pets can coexist without that heirarchy...

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting breaking a dog's spirit. I would consider that cruel. I only discourage this behavior with a calm, "no, no no". No breaking of anything involved.
More like a reminder.

And you're right, many times dogs and people can coexist without a strong alpha presence, but many times, not. It all depends on the dogs. Mine are Rottie mixes so have a fairly strong will. It's important (especially with the humper, Mia) that they know I'm the Alpha Bitch.

She would be miserable to live with otherwise.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting breaking a dog's spirit. I would consider that cruel. I only discourage this behavior with a calm, "no, no no". No breaking of anything involved.
More like a reminder.

ah well a gentale reminder is a good thing-have to have order in the house. I can't stand it when people think they have to break the spirits of dogs and children to prove thier own supremecy...I have a brother like that and feel sorry for his dog...and kids.

And you're right, many times dogs and people can coexist without a strong alpha presence, but many times, not. It all depends on the dogs. Mine are Rottie mixes so have a fairly strong will. It's important (especially with the humper, Mia) that they know I'm the Alpha Bitch.

yes, well big difference between Rotts and pugs!
or in my case Beagles

new topics

top topics

join