It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird encounters with crows?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Hi Relentless,

bit reluctant to say this as people may think I'm even nuttier than I am, but I figure, well I was crazy enough to join this board so what the heck!

Your friend - maybe she should try talking to the crows and explaining to them that it was an accident that she killed one of their friends and that she's sorry. I said it was crazy, but get her to try it, not just say the words, but really mean it and try to get this over to them - she may be surprised
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that you CAN communicate with animals quite easily - even if they don't exactly understand the words they will understand the intent - just ask anyone with a cat or a dog that they are really close to! This may be telepathy related, or it maybe in our body language or something, there is something to it I am convinced

The other possibility of course is that the crows are just being territorial and you can't really do anything about that. Unless you have a word with them of course................

Hey - just noticed that Toadmund was talking to one as well.........I tell you it works!

[edit on 19-2-2006 by maldives01]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Thanks maldives01,

But luckily she no longer lives there and hopefully by now (this was a long time ago), that bunch has moved on or died off.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
These crows are probably acting strange and following people out of curiosity, not murderous intent. Hehe... puns are funny.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Crows and ravens are scarey smart. I've seen them gang up on Bald Eagles, and chase the eagle off. Nothing creepier than a crow sitting on a fence post just staring at you. You know deep down that he knows something that you don't, and that that something is really, really bad, and its coming for YOU.

My creepiest experiance with these feathered imps of Satan was when I was walking along a road, one kept moving along the fence line with me, going from post to post. I think he knew he was creepin' me out, because when I turned to head back home, the little demon in feathers laughed at me, and flew off to tell all his little evil buddies.

Still and all. without a doubt, the coolest birds around. Creepy though.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Because of their amazing intelligence and apititude to learn, crows make great pets.

I've seen crows swoop down on a huge flock of little birds on the ground to pick one up by their feet and then start eating them alive. Crows are NOT my favorite animals lol.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thiopental sodium
I've seen crows swoop down on a huge flock of little birds on the ground to pick one up by their feet and then start eating them alive. Crows are NOT my favorite animals lol.

The Crows over at where I live, chase rats and sparrows into oncoming traffic. Rats get run over, then they go over for the rest.

Those poor sparrows
..... They normally get hit by cars, broke some bone then the crows start pecking it to death... Then they pick up the bloody and dying sparrow to a nearby tree and eat.

Hell, they are also get builders
I once saw them, unwiring Wires used to secure shacks and use them as nesting material. You will notice its nest. Its multicolored. All the different wires and clothe hangers bend and twisted to form the base of the nest and inside, leaves and clothes, probably from te clothe hangers....

thank goodness they an;t copycats or else a lot of people will be missing their T-Shirts and hangers.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Humster
I once saw them, unwiring Wires used to secure shacks and use them as nesting material. You will notice its nest. Its multicolored. All the different wires and clothe hangers bend and twisted to form the base of the nest and inside, leaves and clothes, probably from te clothe hangers....

That's true! I noticed it too. In fact the crows here have an affinity for anything colourful or shiny. I always see them picking up the foil wrappers of chewing gum. A female friend of mine even reported that a crow tried to snatch her necklass from her once. Such fascinating birds.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Somebody may be feeding them. We have a outdoor bird feeding area that's frequented by birds, squirrels, etc. If they happen to be around the house and one of us gets out to walk down the street, the more intelligent and sociable birds (crows and blue jays) will follow along. The large crows will follow for a much longer distance and I've occasionally brought along nuts, seeds, or bread for them to feed on.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I live next to a canyon and alot of the time i find around 40-50 crows flying around in a giant circle above a eucalyptus tree. They also do this to another tree across the street from my house which is also a eucalyptus tree. It seems like they do this on random days, but usually in the morning on those days. They make so much noise that they wake me up when they do this. its really funny to watch though.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by U4iK]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
once when me and my mom left the mall, there were THOUSANDS of crows, like some major flock, it was madness ._. ...there was even an albono crow/raven thingumer, but the black ones were the ones that creeped me out...somehow seeing so many birds at once makes you wanna cover your head, impenting poop ._. ...not just that, but crows tend to like pecking at people, or so I've heard...xDDD

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It wasnt a crow or anything.. but it was a very common Ohio bird (dont know the name but they are everywhere) I was walking when out of nowhere a huge flock of them started landing in the trees around me where I was trying to get to my favorite spot.

I was kinda scared.. mosty for the snow which managed to catch my arms and some on my leg...

But when I walked down near the tree they went dead silent and stopped hopping around to other trees and when I decided.. ok im gonna go.. they all decided to fly away
---------------------
The Crow

I was talking to my friends when a rabid coon got on the loose.. again -.- and a little crow landed arms length away with some shiny stuff in its mouth (Poor birds will do anything for the shiny) when the coon decides to pick up a kinda shiny thing and dropped what it had next to me and went off for the coon

The crow then starts attacking the coon whos of mild size and manages to scare it off and picks up what it had but left what he had in his mouth.. which just happened to me my watch I had lost a month earlier -.-

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Great thread! I'm a crow fan as well!

Several years ago I was lving in Seattle working on a music project and crows played a major "walk on role" in every aspect of daily life - they were simply EVERYWHERE!

Some of the funnier encounters with them :

1.) A co-worker of mine walked a particular route to work every day, and constantly found himself being "dive-bombed" by crows on this one particular point in his passage. He would come to work almost every day of the week and tell us about his latest "attack" en route. It turns out the crows had nested in the area and were defending their chicks. The funny thing is, he was under the impression they "were out to get him" because the attacks were so frequent.

When we jokingly advised him to start carrying a tennis racket with him to work to "fend of his attackers" - he actually took the advice to heart showed up a work for the rest of the nesting season with a Spaulding UltraLite poking out of his backpack.

2.) My roomate worked at a small pizza place on Alki, near the water. Crows would naturally collect behind his place of business due to all the pizza crusts in the trash. One day he walked outside and saw a crow hopping around with something shiny in it's beak.

He quietly watched for several moments, and suddenly the crow hopped over to him and dropped the object a few feet from him. Almost like a gift.

It was a small, clear blue marble.

My friend later gave me the marble as a "gift from the Crow King".

I still have it.

3.) I left town for a few weeks to visit family and when I returned, an Native American friend of mine infromed me that while I was gone, there was a report of a coyote being "chased down first avenue by a very upset crow, in broad daylight."

I took her for her word, even though I know she's a bit mischivious in regards to Native Stories and Parables - crows and coyotes are both "tricksters" in the Native Stories.

Sill, the resulting imagery was rather funny. First avenue is usually a high traffic area and the event (if it was real) must have elicited quite a laugh from the crowd down there that day.

If you're a crow fan - I'd highly recommend heading to Seattle if you get the chance and taking a walk around the Capitol Hill area - crows galore, and some of the funniest and active characters in the district.

*edited for content

[edit on 21-5-2006 by Pyrotechnocracy23]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I was riding on my bike one day...on my way to school
and on the side of the road there was a crow. And you would think the crow would fly away if you approach them with your bike, but instead the crow went right in front of me, in front of the bike so I drove over it!! I could hear the bones say CRACK! but the crow was still alive and nothing seemed wrong with it.
It was as if it was trying to commit suicide under my bike

man, that was weird.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azraels_Bride
I was riding on my bike one day...on my way to school
and on the side of the road there was a crow. And you would think the crow would fly away if you approach them with your bike, but instead the crow went right in front of me, in front of the bike so I drove over it!! I could hear the bones say CRACK! .

:'( Thats mean... but hey.. do what you gotta do and if the birds ok its ok ^_^

I dont know if I'd want to be the one running a bird like that over >.> They dont forget much

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
According to a Shaman of unknown origin

Crow Wisdom Includes:

Guardian of the place before existence

Ability to move in space and time

Honoring ancestors

Carrier of souls from darkness into light

Working without fear in darkness

Guidance while working in shadow

Moves freely in the void

Understands all things related to ethics

Shapeshifter

Not too comfortable with that last one but I do think they are fantastic birds

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyrotechnocracy23
If you're a crow fan - I'd highly recommend heading to Seattle if you get the chance and taking a walk around the Capitol Hill area - crows galore, and some of the funniest and active characters in the district.
[edit on 21-5-2006 by Pyrotechnocracy23]

Agreed, when I lived in Seattle, I was amazed by the amount of crows and I'm from New Orleans, so that says a lot!!

Loving this thread. I have learned more about crows than I knew before, and I have always found them to be highly intelligent. I have one that comes every day to the back patio while I'm having a beer, and I toss him peanuts. The way they look at you, it's almost like having another person there. I don't know how to explain it, it's like they carry a presence when they're around you. Like clockwork though, I don't know if he hears me opening the French doors to the patio, or if he is already there. I personally think it's cute, but eh, I'm strange like that.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
They are so inelligent and communicative. I love watching them. You see them on the freeway and a lot of times they will walk off the road and walk back on after you pass. It is as if they not only understand the danger of cars, but they know you will stay on the road! They seem to know we will always just blow on by them if they make it just pass that white line.

The intelligent human look they give is something else too. I often wonder if human spirit travels to them in between reincarnations.

I saw a video once where this cat had been messing with this crow everyday, so the owner started taping it. On this video the cat is walking along minding its business when this crow comes zooming down, grabs the cat by the arse with both claws and keeps going. The cat was so surprised it did a complete flip landing on its feet.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
These crows are probably acting strange and following people out of curiosity, not murderous intent.

Actually crows, along with other birds of high(er) intelligence, have been known to hold grudges against people and things that harm themselves or one of the pack.

Originally posted by Pyrotechnocracy23

I'm from Seattle too, and there is an enormous murder of crows living around the Ikea in Southcenter. When I was younger, it was actually several murders of crows that would fight CONSTANTLY (you'd see amazing aerial acrobatics nearly everytime you drove through town), but eventually they were all assimilated into a huge murder comprised of literally *thousands!!!* When they're all out, it's one massive black cloud swirling around.

My weird encounter with crows was with group. We were driving to the Mall (past Ikea) and the crows were "out" flying around. Usually this is a fun little novelty... but then we noticed a small bird fall onto the grass on the side of the road. It was flapping around, obviously injured, and two crows flew down to it and started to... basically rip it apart. My friend and I were horrified, we pulled into a gas station parking lot to get a better view of what was going on, and the crows were diving bombing and attacking this flock of small birds-- sometimes three to one! I don't know what kind of birds they were.... but it was truly amazing to see.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i would own one as a pet, but u need permits and its a big hassle to own one in california. my trees are too high to steel a baby from the nest LOL j/k..i wouldnt do that.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Y'all sure they weren't grackles?

There was this thing in Houston where great tailed grackles were dive bombing people in the city. A juvenile grackle had fallen from a tree, and anyone who walked near it was bombed. They are noisy, really aggressive birds.

Just wondering, cuz I always thought crackles were crows...didn't know there was a difference till recently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join