It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are cartoons the news media’s way of maligning civil protest?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
First of all, I'd appreciate it if you'd tone it down and stop with the personal attacks.

Most people don't care if it was ANYBODY'S gov't., not just Malaysia.
And if most people won't bother to delve deeper, what concern is that of mine? Am I supposed to force them to?

As far as me assuming there were riots going on there, well

For example CNN reported that "Malaysia says the cartoons are an attack on Islam".

I am from Malaysia and I can tell you straight away that's bull. Certain protesters said that. But the report makes it look like it's the government's position, therefore Malaysia's official position.

Guess who said that?

I'm sorry, but when I read what you posted earlier, it seemed like you were trivializing my responses, and I took it as a personal attack on my person. I apologize for the outburst. I am human, too. Will you accept my sincerest apology?

Yes, it is no concern of yours should others decide not to delve deeper. And I'm not expecting you to force anyone to find out more. I was simply trying to point out that these things happen, and had the reports on the news given the full picture, people wouldn't make false assumptions.

Our brain is just built that way, when given insufficient info we tend to fill in the blanks ourselves with assumptions. Assumptions that may ultimately prove to be way off the mark.

It may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me and the people in my country. We pride ourselves in having a country where all cultures live in peace and harmony. Reports such as the CNN example I gave which you have quoted above would give people the wrong impression of our country. (On another not I have bolded a keyword there which should have told you it was protests going on, not riots).

It's almost as bad as the advisory Washington once gave two years ago stating that there is an increased risk of terrorist attacks in Malaysia. That was of course utter nonsense to everyone here, but it would have been taken seriously by foreigners. These sort of things are bad for business.

That is all I was trying to point out. The news media is not infallible, they've been known to make mistakes as well, or left out certain details that make a whole world of difference. If what I'm saying seems like the obvious to you, then it should, because it is.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I wasn't trivialising your responses; sorry if I came across that way.

I totally understand about bad press making for bad business; that's the downside of the MSM.

The rioters need a leader that will point out the error of their way. Too much friction on both sides; I don't like where this is headed.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Oh I have little doubt in my mind of the press being used as a tool for filtering and stetching information.

What I've seen lately is self propegating propeganda... to me, thats the scariest form... when propeganda gets so intwined into a group of people, that the people themselves start spreading it.

Its in the media. We dont hear about the muslims protesting the death of their loved ones, because that makes them look human... something the propeganda induced dont want to open their eyes to.

We hear about the muslims protesting the cartoons, because it makes them seem rediculous and... whats the word... uh... where you cannot be reasoned with... oh well... i'll remember it when I'm finished the post.

Either way, its all based on US and THEM... the point is to make THEM look nothing like US. And unfortunately it works.

Take for instance, the celebrations when Hamas was elected into power. For the most part, the celebrations were quite peacefull, people congregating in halls, popping of corks, what not... What did YOU SEE?... Well, the media went out to find the most juvinile people driving around firing Kalishnikovs into the air...

make no mistake, those people you saw firing weapons into the air, were a minority of teenagers who have too much time on their hands, and a fresh dose of homones to contend with.

But thats the image were supposed to see Hamas as... radical. All because of a few snapshots of teenagers driving around.

To put it in perspective... I know of quite a few Americans who celebrate elections, 4th of July, and other holidays by gathering up all the fireworks, explosives, guns, alcohol, and off road vehicles they can find, and head out to some farmers field to use all of them... usually at the same time.

I also know a few Canadians who celebrate July 1st in a similar way... difference is, we cant really get the guns that easily.

Are those the images in the news following OUR celebrations? Of course not... that would make us look like idiots... lets stick with the new president, surrounded by people in suits, drinking champagne... yeah, that makes us look sophistomocated.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
We hear about the muslims protesting the cartoons, because it makes them seem rediculous and... whats the word... uh... where you cannot be reasoned with... oh well... i'll remember it when I'm finished the post.

Irrational? Unreasonable? Stubborn?

Aye, it's working, no doubt. Even I'm starting to believe Arabs are that way, and I'm supposed to be on their side

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Unreasonable... yes thats the word I was looking for.

Only now do I realise how stupid it was of me not to know the word I was looking for. lol.

Without reason... unreasonable... I must be really tired.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join