It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Telecloning and teleportation may no longer be theories"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Captain Kirk's Clone And The Eavesdropper

This is some interesting news (article is from February 16, 2006). I think we're one (or maybe a fraction of a) step closer to what was previously thought impossible. Unfortunately, I don't think many of us will be alive to see it (unless something very life-lenghtening comes along).
I copy-pasted the article below for those of you too lazy to click on links.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine Captain Kirk being beamed back to the Starship Enterprise and two versions of the Star Trek hero arriving in the spacecraft's transporter room.

It happened 40 years ago in an episode of the TV science fiction classic, and now scientists at the University of York and colleagues in Japan have managed something strikingly similar in the laboratory - though no starship commander was involved.

The first experimental demonstration of quantum telecloning has been achieved by scientists at the University of Tokyo, the Japan Science and Technology Agency, and the University of York. The work is reported in the latest issue of Physical Review Letters. Telecloning combines cloning (or copying) with teleportation (i.e., disembodied transport).

The scientists have succeeded in making the first remote copies of beams of laser light, by combining quantum cloning with quantum teleportation into a single experimental step. Telecloning is more efficient than any combination of teleportation and local cloning because it relies on a new form of quantum entanglement - multipartite entanglement.

Professor Sam Braunstein, of the Department of Computer Science at York, said: "Quantum mechanics allows us to do things which we previously thought were impossible. In 1998, I was involved in an experiment in America which was one of the first for quantum teleportation in which we transmitted a beam of light without it crossing the physical medium in between.

"This new experiment is an extension of that work. Whether it will change the world for individuals or is just of use to governments or big companies is hard to say. Any new protocol is like a new-born baby and it has to develop, but we know this one could be used to tap cryptographic channels.

"Quantum cryptographic protocols are so secure that they can not only discover tapping but also where and how much information is leaking out. Now, using telecloning, the identity and location of the eavesdropper can be concealed."

Telecloning and teleportation may no longer be theories, but we are still a long way from teleporting people.

Professor Braunstein said: "What we know is that it would be incredibly difficult and from the perspective of today's technology, a completely outrageous thing. But in 100 years, who knows?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I remember reading an article about teleporting some photons, but I never thought this would be the next step. If we can predict and control the behavior of photons to the extent that they leave our perceivable space, and reappear where we decide, and multiplying them at that!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I remember reading an article about teleporting some photons, but I never thought this would be the next step. If we can predict and control the behavior of photons to the extent that they leave our perceivable space, and reappear where we decide, and multiplying them at that!!!

Yep, I read the same article. That's why I posted this one.
Technology is moving faster and faster every day (it seems).

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Nice breakthrough, and will have countless numbers of application when refined... Unfortunately human teleportation isn't an option per se, because in quantum teleportation, the target will be a REPLICA of the original, not the object itself transported somewhere. Correct me if wrong.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Would be kinda cool ... say, perhaps at some point in the future human's can safely use this technology, but store a copy rather then teleporting it. When it's almost your time to die, somehow integrate the old brain with the new brain and rematerialize the stored clone.

Would be neat if possible

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnholyP
Nice breakthrough, and will have countless numbers of application when refined... Unfortunately human teleportation isn't an option per se, because in quantum teleportation, the target will be a REPLICA of the original, not the object itself transported somewhere. Correct me if wrong.

I think you have it right, though I'm not 100% sure. Teleportation may not be "impossible",... maybe we simply haven't stumbled on the proper procedure/invention yet. At the rate that technology is moving, I wouldn't be surprised if they did find a way to teleport human beings,....and it may not even function the way we imagine it, or the way we see it portrayed in movies.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Haven't they had teleporting around for a few years now? Sure only been atoms, and the smallest ones at that, but had it? Although Telecloning is amazing, could it lead to cloning organs? Need a new kidney, and can't wait for a donor? Clone one!

Also, I don't havem links, but with teleporting they been teleporting things like hydrogen atoms, but tried a lead atom and it tore apart in mid teleport, ing, in, ation, whatever the end thing would be.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

I think you have it right, though I'm not 100% sure. Teleportation may not be "impossible",... maybe we simply haven't stumbled on the proper procedure/invention yet. At the rate that technology is moving, I wouldn't be surprised if they did find a way to teleport human beings,....and it may not even function the way we imagine it, or the way we see it portrayed in movies.

www.research.ibm.com...

Yeah, this is just the basics, who knows what they can conjure up in few decades

top topics

join