It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 US helicopters crash,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Seems that Two U.S. Marine Corps Helicopters have crashed in Africa,

Word so far is that 2 crew members have been found but 10 marines who where on board are still missing,

ill update with links in a sec

reuters

crashed in Africa off the coast of Djibouti, a Pentagon spokeswoman said on Friday.

There was no reason to believe hostile fire was involved in the crash, CNN said, quoting U.S. officials.

[edit on 17-2-2006 by asala]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The Helos were probably there in support of CJTF Horn Of Africa

The CJTF-HOA mission is focused on detecting, disrupting, and ultimately defeating transnational terrorist groups operating in the region – denying safe havens, external support, and material assistance for terrorist activity.
*snip*
CJTF-HOA is comprised of Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, civilians and partner nations. In addtion to Civil Affairs missions (drilling wells, medical care, renovation of schools and clinics, etc.), CJTF-HOA also conducts military-to-military training, which includes counterterrorism training

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
There's no reason to shoot down a CH-53. It does perfectly well crashing on its own. They have a 44:1 maintenance ratio. For every 1 hour spent flying, they require 44 man hours of maintenance to keep them in the air.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Sadly, this hits rather close to home.

I just found out today that one of the Marines who perished in this crash was the son of a client.

While I never actually met Sgt. McColley I have had several conversations with his father about where he was, what they were doing, etc. We talked about the WOT, the world in general and such while going through the many photos his son had sent in email correspondence. Being ex-Marine himself, his father was extremely proud and looked forward to spending time together after his rotation out in two months. Unfortuantely, that won't happen now.

Sgt. McColley you are in our thoughts and prayers.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I had heard that all 12 men aboard were accounted for. But of course that does not mean that they were all still alive.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
jsobecky,

Accounted for, not rescued.

There were 12 aboard both CH-53s only two rescued survivors.

8 Marines and 2 Air Force personnel were among those that perished.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Wasn't this reported to be a "training" accident? Training or not...dont these helicopters have radar, or another means of telling that there is another aircraft nearby?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
They collided with each other, and no they don't. They may have a weather radar, but even so if they were flying side by side it wouldn't do any good, because it would only point forward.

12m8keall2c I am sorry to hear about your clients son, please tell him that our thoughts and prayers are with him, and we're very sorry for his loss.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
What a shame. Outdated equipment....

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Most helo's and in fact most transports don't have anything but weather radar on board. Won't tell you if there's another plane out there but really good at picking up weather. heh.

top topics

join