It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rock art,proof of visitors thousands of years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have had an interest in aboriginal rock art for most of my life, i grew up north west of alice springs, the middle of nowhere. Where we lived there were numerous aboriginal rock art sites depicting all sorts of weird and wonderful beings. Some of these are many thousands of years old. Are they proof of visitations or merely the result of stone age imaginations and fears regarding the unknown.

www.crystalinks.com...

The picture of the 'astronaut' seems fairly obvious to me.

www.internetezy.com.au...

Im still on the fence on this one, it would be interesting to know wether there is any similar cave art elsewhere in the world with similar time lines.
Any thoughts...

This is the first time i have posted a thread so i hope i havent stuffed up too much, please let me know if i have.
Cheers M4S.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Well, yes, there's plenty of it out there.

I also take an interest in rock art and have joined the Texas Rock Art society. I've photographed a lot of it both here and in California, including some things that are not generally accessible to the public.

The "Space Aliens In Rock Art" stuff comes from
* white people
* who know nothing of the culture and history of the people who did the art
* who see the art and say "aliens!"
* who then hammer at the aborigines/natives and make their tale fit the "space aliens" concept.

OR

* who are victims of forgeries by other whites.

If you talk to the people and quit putting your OWN interpretation on things, you find out that they do talk about mystical things. However, "beings in the sky" really does not refer to aliens (and often doesn't actually refer to gods as we think of them.)
aboriginalart.com.au...

Interpreted without knowledge of the culture that made them produces "knowledge" as bad as a Stone Age tribesman trying to interpet Japanese Manga
www.aboriginalartonline.com...
www.deh.gov.au...

The haloed headresses are similar to the designations that the ancient Hawai'ians used in their rock art to designate chiefs and other people/human shaped beings with power (including what we would call gods or demigods.) Whether the original source was Australia is unknown.

The second image on crystallinks may be an image that's been redrawn in modern times (the white is way too bright to be very old.) The "Phoenecian" ... isn't Phoenecian, BTW, but is a modern hoax no older than 50 years old.

So... beware of whites who have come in and interpreted the symbols to be what THEY want them to be. The question is not "what do the New Ager Americans/Australians/English speakers want this to be?" The question is "What did the original artist mean?"
www.cooinda-gallery.com.au...
www.mainzdidgeridoos.com.au...
aboriginalart.com.au...
www.jintaart.com.au...

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Oh yes... the "astronaut"....

Depiction of a human with body paint. This was most likely a Dreamtime vision and sacred instruction. Ask Park Rangers (who are often Aborigines.)

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Here is a quick read on a new study of Paleolithic Art!

www.iab.uaf.edu...

Great fun Picto Hunting!

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
hi byrd thanks for the reply, no need to ask the park rangers, my grand father was one for over twenty years at Simpsons Gap, nth west of alice springs

www.northaustraliaholidays.com...

which is where i grew up. I have spoken to alot of the indigineous people of that region over the years and have also recently returned from kakadu(far north australia). Like i said im still on the fence but some of the art that i have seen first hand is not faked or forged. Yes it may be there interpretation of natural events, spirit guides etc. It may even be drawings of visitors from other civilisations.

www.awarenessquest.com...

members.ozemail.com.au...

Either way im not convinced, just intriuged.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It's hard not to interpret images from our own perspectives. So when we see a figure with a round head a big eyes, we think "astronaut with helmet," and we see "antennae" rather than "antlers."

Human beings have a long history of wearing interesting masks and costumes. Unless you're able to make a direct connection between those pictures and those of a creature recognized to be an actual alien (of which we have exactly zero), it might be best to avoid drawing such big conclusions.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
didnt think i had drawn any conclusions Enkidu, correct me if im wrong. Perhaps a question mark in the title may have been appropriate.As i said earlier im new to this.

[edit on 17/2/06 by mojo4sale]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Byrd , i agree "The question is "What did the original artist mean?"

Pretty hard for us to know 7000 yrs later, either way.Passed down from generation to generation there is bound to be discrepencies.Is there enough proof to debunk it ,i dont think so,neither is there enough to prove it.Am i sitting on the fence,YES,but its a pretty good view from up here.On a clear day you can see....

Casual one, its true, I have four kids and they all love to draw on the walls, tables, whatever. I can see that some of this art wasnt drawn by the shamen,priests or medicine men but rather by adolescents or kids.Stone age graffiti tags maybe,who knows.Good call but.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thanks for posting these mojo. You live in a beautiful part of the world, a part I would like to visit someday.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I as well, am interested in rock art. Purely as an amateur, I assure ya'll.

Byrd, I do have a question, though. What about the Dogon tribe ?
Just curious as to your take on them.

Just my curious 2 cents,
Lex

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
ND124, allways a cold beer in my fridge if ever you do happen to pass through.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
After some more investigation i am starting to lean more towards the earlier colonisation of humans rather than et's lol. Some of the rock art definately seems to be of a different origin to the aboriginal art.

www.science-frontiers.com...

Wether phoenician, egyptyian or european it dates way back. If so what happened to these explorers/colonists. Probably wiped out by indiginous australians? And does this now take the thread off topic?If so Sorrrry....

www.crystalinks.com...

Keep on ROCKin..

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Thank you, Byrd, for your knowledgable posts.

I have studied prehistoric rock art for over 20 years and am always surprised by how quick people are to try to interpret images created by ancient cultures who had a completely different world view. Modern interpretations are hampered by a complete lack of proper frame of reference.

I cringe when I hear references to Von Daniken's so-called "ancient astronauts." I have visited many of the rock art sites he featured in his books (something Von Daniken never did himself).

I made a particular study of the pictographs of the Tassili N'Ajjer plateu in Algeria, including many of the "spaceman sites" and the "Great Martian God" of Sefar. It was readily apparent that the "spaceman" figures were simply a stylistic convention of the most ancient era of Saharan rock art (prior to 4,000 B.C.). Upon closer inspection, these stylized anthropomorphs mostly represent ordinary human beings, occasionally wearing masks or headdesses. The individual elements can easily be misinterpreted, but seen in a larger context the truth becomes evident.

Many prehistoric pictographs and petroglyphs have an "alien" look to them, sometimes because they are simply a product of a culture that is so very different from our own. Others are the product of hallucinogenic visions (such as those of the Chumash indians of southern California). We have to be careful not to view them through the filter of our own mythos.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wonder what furure generations of ours would make of the art from the 20th century, van gogh, dali, warhol etc. Would their interpretations be vastly different to what the artists are trying to convey.
I would like to believe our ancestors had visitors but the more research i do (from reputable sources) the less likely it seems. Oh well, its still cool to imagine, even if some posters believe that throwing ideas out there for discussion is a bad thing.
I dont think Von Daniken said his interpretation was the truth, it was a theory meant to engender discussion and debate, which at the time it did. It also created interest in an area of research that was being suffocated by conservative fuddy duddy's.

Much Love
M4S.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
they say the pictures tell stories but true? or false? i can only tell u wat i think and that is that they are true

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
This was my first thread here, there may be some underwater archeaological activity at the moment that could be worthwhile reviving this thread.

abc.net.au

Submerged coastal archaeological sites are being excavated around the world.

These include parts of the ancient city of Alexandria in Egypt and submerged Neolithic villages in Israel, Denmark and the US, says Corneos, who has worked on such sites in the Mediterranean.

He says compared with other parts of the world, there is relatively little exploration of submerged archaeological sites in Australia.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Hi M4S, you live relatively close to the infamous UFO hotspot, Wycliffe Well. Any sightings to report?

new topics

top topics

join