It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Different levels of eyesight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I posted this on BTS a few days ago, but no one repsponded and I need some input, so here it goes.

I guess this is the right place...

Anyway, I have a question about the difference in sight between my contacts and glasses. Why the difference? With my contacts in, I can read all the words on the tv at a distance of about 12 ft. away with no problem whatsoever. Everything is crystal clear. However with my glasses at the same distance of 12 ft. Everything is insanely blurred.

Anyway like I said my question is qhy I can see better with my contacts than with my glasses, even if they are the same prescription.

I'm no expert by any means, but my first and most logical guess is since the contacts sit on the cornea or whatever, your eye can focus instantly and doesn't need time to adjust. Whereas with the glasses they sit a small distance off of your eyes and because of that distance you're sight roams all over and can't focus on everything since you see eevrything in the lens and outside, and it all gets blurred together.

If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated, along with saving my parents 50 bucks going to the doctor.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Your first guess was pretty close.

Most people's prescriptions for contacts and glasses are slightly different. Chances are that whoever fitted yours didn't account for vertex distance. The stronger your prescription, the more this matters.

More info on vertex distance and prescription lenses :
www.nfos.org...

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
i'm so tempted to just say you need to give your glasses a wipe.

seriously, it could be down to refration of the light from the TV. there's bound to be tiny scratches on the lens from general wear and tear, these aren't normally visible except when looking at a light source, light writing on a dark backround might look blurred because of this.

it could also be because the glasses are to far from your eye's, try widening or narrowing the nose rests a little and see does that help at all.

the optician might have made a mistake with the lens and either not polished them correctly or just made up lens for the wrong perscription.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
i'm so tempted to just say you need to give your glasses a wipe.

seriously, it could be down to refration of the light from the TV. there's bound to be tiny scratches on the lens from general wear and tear, these aren't normally visible except when looking at a light source, light writing on a dark backround might look blurred because of this.

it could also be because the glasses are to far from your eye's, try widening or narrowing the nose rests a little and see does that help at all.

the optician might have made a mistake with the lens and either not polished them correctly or just made up lens for the wrong perscription.

I clean them twice a day when I wear them, once when I don't. They're not dirty, I made sure to remember that as a factor in it. I can't change the nose rest position since they're plastic and built into the frame.

I doubt they did the prescription wrong twice. I noticed it with my last pair of glasses.

Thanks for the help though both of you.

new topics

top topics

join