It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Chinese Underground Sub Base Exposed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
For many years the DoD has known about a complex underground Chinese sub base in Shandong province. Much in the style of the ex-Soviet North Sea Fleet sub bases, they apparently built a hardened undergroud docking facility for their nuclear powered and equipped subs. The facility is part of the Jianggezhuang Submarine Base.

IKONOS imagery has been recently released, for the 1st time publicly, of this very sensitive naval facility. The image can be found here.

The full article on www.imagingnotes.com can be found here. This web site also has some very good info on the Chinese's strategic nuclear forces, with supporting satellite photography.

Some of the commentary on the Xia class SSBN is really interesting. It also shows that the Chinese notion of infrastructure is more akin to the old Soviet system, rather than the traditional western version, at least in some ways....

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Interesting

Shangdong Province

Here's something else that gives a very brief history of the place. I think it's he same place.

Source
Construction of a hardened base for China's nuclear-powered submarines began in 1968 at an inlet near Qingdao, which is on the Shandong Penninsula coastline of the Yellow Sea. The project involved the removal of 810,000 cubic meters of rock and pouring 200,000 cubic meters of concrete. By the mid-1970s the underground shelter system was camourflaged and hardened against attack. The multiple shelters at this facility include equipment for servicing nuclear propulsion systems and loading JL-1 missiles

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 17/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I bet the chinese just love that...
Oh, well... I am sure they see us also...

it is good to know your challenges... on both sides...
knowledge keeps people from getting nervous or paranoid...

join