World Cup 2006: who will be the Champion?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin

Originally posted by American Mad Man
The world better hope Adu doesn't decide to live up to the hype.

Who?

Adu Freddy is and will be the best United States Football ever. European Clubs like Chelsea are chasing his signature. Ive seen him play (on the TV), words cannot describe how good that kid is, he isn't even 17 (correct me if i am wrong American Mad Man_

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
The final four, (semi-finals) will be:

Holland,
Italy,
Argentina,
Czech Republic.

Suprise team of the tournament:

Australia

Under achievers:

France,
Spain,
England,

My predictions:

Final match:
Argentina or Germany vs Brazil

Surprise teams:
Ecuador and Australia

Under achievers:
England
Spain
Mexico (I still don't understand why Mexico was chosen as a head of group and Holland not)

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i think its englands turn this year and winning it on german soil would make it even better!!

as for adu, i'm a manchester united fan and we have quite a large american gathering who support united.

i'll be honest ive never seen him play, but the majoirty of americans who post on the united message board say he totally overated.

i suppose teams like chelsea and manchester united want to sign him so they can break into the american market!!

think about it, if chelsea sign adu - many americans will start following chelsea, buy merchandise = $millions£ (even if he doesn't play).

[edit on 20-2-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hope is the last to die ... so as long as there are world cups, I'll be hoping for Portugal to win....

[edit on 20-2-2006 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
...but the majoirty of americans who post on the united message board say he totally overated.

What the hell do Americans know about soccer?

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

...but the majoirty of americans who post on the united message board say he totally overated.

Peace

Good question.... American may be the champs in snowboarding, but socker ??? LOL

Socker is an ART... something far behond kicking a ball... and thats why i dont play it.!
no one wants to see that !

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Peace

my thoughts exactly, but there's actually a big following!!

isn't football (soccer) the biggest played sport in your schools now?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Instead of xenophobic ad ethnocentric members turning this post into an American propoganda campaign about "our" pure american athletism etc. Lets talk about the title of this thread, who will win the World Cup.

Almost every time the World Cup has been played in a country with a a top international side they have one the cup. Saying that I dont think Germany will win this one. They dont seem as dominant as they used to be. Im rooting for America and England but dont think either will win. America isnt there yet and England underachieves.

The favorites have to be Brazil. I hope they dont win, I'd like to see Czech Rep. ( IMO should of won Euro 2004) or Argentina win. Mexico is my dark horse

In the last lottery round for tickets will find out in a week or so, fingers crossed.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   

isn't football (soccer) the biggest played sport in your schools now?

I just pulled a muscle from laughing so hard!

Yeah, it's right up there with horseshoes and hopscotch.

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

The world better hope Adu doesn't decide to live up to the hype.

Who?

Adu Freddy is and will be the best United States Football ever. European Clubs like Chelsea are chasing his signature. Ive seen him play (on the TV), words cannot describe how good that kid is, he isn't even 17 (correct me if i am wrong American Mad Man_

Yes, he is a 16 year old wonder boy. At 11 years old, Euro powers such as AC Milan were trying to sign him. He is most often compared to Pele.

And yes, the rumors I have heard site Chelsea as his biggest suiter, followed my Man U, and Real Madrid. From what I know, his main concern is to go to a club where he can get a lot of playing time.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

From what I know, his main concern is to go to a club where he can get a lot of playing time.

........and to a club where he won't have to fear being hit with a urine bomb in retribution for showing up their much heralded Euro players.

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

i'll be honest ive never seen him play, but the majoirty of americans who post on the united message board say he totally overated.

i suppose teams like chelsea and manchester united want to sign him so they can break into the american market!!

think about it, if chelsea sign adu - many americans will start following chelsea, buy merchandise = $millions£ (even if he doesn't play).

Ehhhh, over rated - I don't think so. American's want results right away. Most of them hear all this hype about some 14 year old (when he went into MLS) and hear the words Pele and Maradana (spl?) and think he can come in and dominate.

The thing with Adu is, he is a smaller player, and being so young, he does not handle mature men shoulder barging him. He needs to put on weight and muscle, because right now he gets pushed around in the MLS, which is a lot like the Italian leagues for with it's roughness.

His dribbling is exceptional. Think Ronaldinho. He has a different build though - more compact, less lanky. He eventually will have better ballance and strength on the ball because of this.

He is a great set piece taker... Gets a lot of curveture on his shots when he wants it, and is accurate.

Like I said before, he is a wizard with the ball at his feet. He has been doing step overs since he was 10 years old. When he gets to run at defenders, they don't stand a chance. I really think the best thing for him would be to play in the Spanish League. I see England as contrary to his strengths.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   

From what I know, his main concern is to go to a club where he can get a lot of playing time.

........and to a club where he won't have to fear being hit with a urine bomb in retribution for showing up their much heralded Euro players.

It will be the day when the US hoists that worthless trophy to the envy and anger of all of Europe and South America.

Adu!

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Some pics of the US National teams future star (oh yeah, I think he made the team this year as well, but a a reserve):

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Yes, he is a 16 year old wonder boy. At 11 years old, Euro powers such as AC Milan were trying to sign him. He is most often compared to Pele.

Never heard of him until now.

The star of this World Cup will be Lionel Messi, remember that name.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I don't know Lionel Messi from Lionel Ritchie, but believe me, he don't want any part of Adu!

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
@ American Mad Man

i hope he is, it would be good to see football (soccer) become big in the US!!

maybe thats what you need for it to become more popular in the states, someone to come through and take the world by storm!!

but i'm very sceptical about 'hype', when i hear people from the same country as him saying hes 'the next best thing', i think yeah but is he a wayne rooney? a christino ronaldo? (these players are the future).

brazilians, (because its a poor country) - all they do 24/7 is kick a ball in the air just so they can make it (thats why they are so good).

from what i hear hes not playing too well in the MLS, so whats going to happen when he comes to leagues like (england/spain/italy etc) playing against football players worth £30/50 million ($50-90 million) will he be able hold his own?

ive got to see him play first, but as said i hope your right - i'll keep my eye out for him at the world cup

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The star of this World Cup will be Lionel Messi, remember that name.

I reckon this guy and ronaldinho are gonna rip chelsea apart on Wednesday night in the Champions league(heres hoping),mind you any one seen the state of Chelseas pitch ? its a right mess(no pun intended) you would think that Abramavich could chuck in a few rubles for some actual grass.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

@ American Mad Man

i hope he is, it would be good to see football (soccer) become big in the US!!

maybe thats what you need for it to become more popular in the states, someone to come through and take the world by storm!!

Thats the idea. The thing is, sports in this country are dominated by the urban crowd from the 2 coasts. As sad as this sounds, soccer is viewed as a 'rich white' sport in this country by [the largely black] city youth. Hopefully, they will see this kid as our star and pick up the game. The one thing going against it is this country is already saturated with sports between football, basketball and baseball.

but i'm very sceptical about 'hype', when i hear people from the same country as him saying hes 'the next best thing', i think yeah but is he a wayne rooney? a christino ronaldo? (these players are the future).

brazilians, (because its a poor country) - all they do 24/7 is kick a ball in the air just so they can make it (thats why they are so good).

Adu is not from the US originally - he lived in Ghana untill he was 12 I believe. Like I said, it is well documented that he was being courted by major European powers at 11 years old when he was still in Africa. You can check this online if you wish.

He has also been playing in the US national developement system since he got here. All he did was go to school and play soccer at our youth academy. He graduated at 14, then went to the pros.

from what i hear hes not playing too well in the MLS, so whats going to happen when he comes to leagues like (england/spain/italy etc) playing against football players worth £30/50 million ($50-90 million) will he be able hold his own?

Like I said, his problem is that he isn't physically mature yet. His problem is physically, he just isn't strong enough to hold up when he is running full speed and a defender leans into him. He has the frame to do it, but he isn't yet done growing. Once he gets to about 5 foot 10 inches and about 180 pounds, he'll be fine.

I can tell you right now, he had Ronaldinho's dribbling and shooting abillity since he was 14...No exageration.

ive got to see him play first, but as said i hope your right - i'll keep my eye out for him at the world cup

Unfortunately, I don't see him playing much. I think they just want to get him there with the team so he has that WC experience for when he goes in 2010. He, along with Landon Donovan, DeMarcus Beasely, James Garcia, and the rest of our young corps will be ready to dominate. At that point, Adu should be a golden boot winner.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the US is a top 10 team in the FIFA rankings? Why is it so hard to believe we could shock the world? This isn't the US team of old...

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Here is Adu's bio from the US National teams website if anyone is interested:

DOB : 06/02/1989 Position : Forward
Height : 5'8" Weight : 145

Position: Forward
Club: D.C. United
Hometown: Potomac, Md.
U-20 Caps/Goals: 13/5

U.S. National Teams: The youngest player on the team at 16 years of age, but one of the most experienced as he also played in the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship, the only player on this squad to do so ... Incredibly skilled on the ball with an ability to burst past defenders ... A deadly finisher who is also dangerous taking free kicks and corner kicks to set up teammates ... Joined U.S. Soccer’s Full-time Residency Program in January, 2002 ... His first international match outside the U.S. was against Jamaica in the final round of CONCACAF qualifying...

U.S. Under-20s: 2005: Played in all three games in CONCACAF qualifying, starting the first two to help the U.S. advance to WYC ... Scored penalty kick goals against Trinidad & Tobago and Panama in qualifying ... 2004: Finished with two international goals and one assist for five points, good enough for fourth on the team ... Scored his first international goal with the U-20s against Honduras on Nov. 19 with a penalty kick in 2-0 win at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale ... Scored winning penalty kick in injury time against Mexico on Nov. 21 in 2-1 victory at Lockhart Stadium ... 2003: Got first U-20 cap against Japan at the Home Depot Center on Oct. 8 ... Adu was called up to the U-20s on Nov. 19th to replace injured forward Arturo Alvarez on the roster that participated in the FIFA World Youth Championships in the United Arab Emirates during November and December ... Helped the U.S. to a fifth-place finish in the world championship, appearing in five games, starting four ... Didn’t start the first game of the tournament, but came off the bench against Germany and played well, earning a starting position the rest of the tournament ... Recorded his first point with the U-20s, assisting Bobby Convey in the team's 2-1 quarterfinal loss to Argentina...

U.S. Under-17s: 2003: Named 2003 Chevrolet Young Athlete of the Year ... Led the team with in goals (29) and assists (16) ... Led the team with 16 international goals ... Had game winning header in 1-0 Dallas Cup semifinal win against Newcastle United ... Scored four goals at FIFA U-17 World Championship, including a hat trick against South Korea in the USA’s first match of the tournament ... 2002: Second on the team with 22 goals, despite playing only 35 of 66 matches ... Tied for the team lead with 11 assists ... Scored the game-winning goal on a blistering free kick against Canada on May 25 ... Scored in six straight games he played in December...

Under-14s: Played in the Under-14 Boys National Team camp in 2001...

Professional: 2005: Has played in every match so far this year ... Had a breakout game on May 7 against the Columbus Crew, assisting on the first two goals before notching his own strike for a 3-1 victory ... 2004: As a rookie, Adu was one of three D.C. United players to see time in every match on the campaign ... Comfortable in either a forward or an attacking midfield role, Adu became the youngest player ever to appear in a Major League Soccer match on April 3, 2004 and became the youngest player ever to score a goal in League play on April 17, 2004 ... He was also named a commissioner's pick to the 2004 Sierra Mist All-Star Game and continued to improve throughout the year, tallying five goals in his freshman season ... The phenom scored his first game-winning goal by providing the sole tally in a 1-0 victory over the MetroStars at Giants Stadium on October 2, 2004 ... After signing a multi-year deal with MLS on November 18, 2003, Adu was selected by D.C United as the first overall pick of the 2004 MLS SuperDraft on January 16th ... United acquired the first draft pick by trading future considerations to the Dallas Burn...

High School: Worked through high school on an accelerated program and finished his studies in three years ... Graduated from high school before his 15th ... Named a High School All-American as a Freshman...

Link

WAR FREDDY ADU!!!!

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join