It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traffic lights and other road related things

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Ive been wondering if there is a better way to traffic lights to manage intersections.

I have about 5 minutes to type an hours worth of thought.

Instead, I'll just float the idea and I'll send my own response tonight after work.

But here's a hint; my traffic light redesign would have the following lights:
Blue
White
Red
Yellow
Green

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm interested to see what each color would stand for.

I don't see the flaw in todays system. It can be a headache waiten at a flat red light when there are no other cars waiting at the green side. But if thats the only complaint you have for the day, I would consider it a succesful day.

So what does each color represent?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genfinity
But here's a hint; my traffic light redesign would have the following lights:
Blue
White
Red
Yellow
Green

The Blue light would permit for an emergency vehicle only to go through the light. White could mean road closed for any given reason, i. e. accident or weather. Red means.......whoa, whoa down. Yellow means to ease off the gas. Green means drive the gas pedal through the floorboards.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This thread could get boring real fast. Traffic lights arent the most exciting thing to talk about but here it goes;

On slow days, I actually ponder things like this. I think the white line att he front of an intersection should be staggered so that the car on the far right is furthest up and the car on the far left is furthest back. This allows for safe right on reds and it allows the car on the right the chance to look for traffic coming from the left before they cruise through the green.

"gimmefootball400" hit it on the head.

Green-go
Yellow-proceed with caution
Red-Stop
Blue-First responder approaching
White-Advisory

Solid versus flashing

A solid white light means that traffic is not flowing smoothly. Example-a near by train may be preventing traffic from turning right. Thereby, when the light turns green, cars wanting to turn right will remain still. Whatever. It just means the traffic is flowing smoothly through the light.

A flashing white light is advising you to tune into a certain radio station for updates. Maybe there is a weather warning or something. It just means to tune in your radio to a news station for an emergency update.

Solid blue-Proceeding through the intersection is prohibited. Turn around, detour, stop approaching.

Flashing blue-Emergency traffic approaching. A flashing blue with a red indicates that you must wait for first responders to pass. A flashing blue with a green indicates you would proceed through and then get to the right ASAP.

Solid red-Stop and remain stopped.

Flashing red-Stop, then go. Like a stop sign.

Solid yellow-the light will turn red in 5 seconds or less.

Flashing yellow-Reduce your speed by 20mph.

Solid green-Light will turn yellow in 5 seconds or less.

Flashing green-Proceed.

A normal four-point intersection would have 5 light cycles. One for each direction of traffic and one for non-motored traffic. Non-motored traffic would push a button to activate the light's fifth cycle. This cycle stops all four directions of motored traffic and allows non-motored traffic to cross through the intersection, even in a criss-crossing direction. Think of a four sided box with an X through it. All six directions would be okay.

During the other four cycles, all three directions of traffic wait. No more left turn lights. No more unsafe U-turns with other cars making a right on red.

In addition, a yellow line would be drawn across the road. If you are on that line or past it when the light turns yellow, you would proceed as if the light was still red. If you havent approached the line when the light turns yellow, you are required to stop. This rule would be applied to cars. Heavy 18 wheelers and such would have to use more caution when approaching a light.

How do traveling cars play into the new design of traffic lights?

Cars would be equipped with a forward facing yellow and green light below or above the rear view mirror.

Cars would also have a sensor that works with those new lights, as well as a GPS and a device to deal with situations when cars go under water.

When a truck wants to enter your lane, you would turn on the yellow light advising the truck to hold. When your ready for the truck to get in front of you, you flip the light to green. The sensor will measure the distance he is from you and your speed to determine if the green light will shine.

When your car starts to decellerate rapidly, your white backup lights will alternate. This advises traffic behind you that you are making an emergency slow down.

If your car goes under water, a sensor detects this and sends a bobber to the water line. The bobber is attached to an orange line. The bobber hits the water and emits a signal advising of your GPS position. The signal is sent using area cell towers. Your car is easily found. In the event the line is cut, the bobber will notify 911 of its position when the break occurred.

As you approach a light, you can hit a button requesting a green. The light will measure your requests with other requests and make a decision accordingly. This allows you to proceed through an intersection rather then be the lone car waiting at a traffic-less intersection for a green.

The same device also allows you to paint an intersection with a possible malfunction. Red light burnt out or stuck on a color, whatever. After enough "paint hits," the powers that be send someone out to investigate and the issue is resolved. You could use the same device to paint a malfunctioning rail road crossing.

In an emergency situation, you could even call 911 and receive a special "green" signal.

During the same upgrade, speed limit signs would be replaced with digital speed limit signs. The speed would go up or down according to the time of day, weather, and traffic. When your speeding or tailgating, your car will let you know.

I also think traffic would flow better if the lane on the right traveled 5mph slower then the lane on the left.

At any rate, I could go on and on and on. Opinions?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
They are very good ideas, provided every one carrys a 200 page manual around with them to know wat each thingo means

it would never work

a very good idea for 2 lane each way, or smaller roads is a round about.

keeps the traffic flowing at all times

if you give way to the right, and people who are already going around, there is absolutly no problem, it rare to wait more then 15-20 seconds.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
In Gloucester here in the UK where I live, we have 4 major roundabouts on what we call the A38 Ringroad. As I don't know what you guys call them or whether or not you have them, I'll explain. They are strategicly placed to control the flow of traffic from minor roads, to the ring road and also feed (by use of lanes, to trading estates and businesses)

This has tended to work well in the past, until a couple of years ago, when the local authorities decided to place pedestrian crossings, each controlled by traffic lights, just short of the roundabouts.

So imagine the scene.............................

You are bombing along at 50 mph, then hit a 30 mph area then suddenly a pedestrian who is far too lazy to drive to work, hits the button and
me! The lights immediately go
red and the cars in front going round the roundabout almost collide because even though the limit is 30mph, it is pretty hard to stop when some idiot walks across the road in front of you.

Another annoying thing that happens first thing in the morning, is along Eastern Avenue, a three lane part of the A38, it gets chockabloc during rush hour. The central reservation, is a grassed area with a couple of trees and a Gatso '30' speed camera.

Now, with vehicles nose to tail on what we call 'Walls' Roundabout, with pedestrians holding up the traffic and two lane traffic [into Gloucester] often backing up across the roundabout, Emergency Vehicles find it often takes them four to five or even six minutes to drive along 100 metres and cross over Walls Roundabout.

The problem is, drivers have nowhere to go. There are no 'emergency vehicle only' lanes and drivers are reluctant to drive over the curbing stones in the near and offside lanes with the result of possible damage to their vehicles.

I do like your idea of multi coloured traffic lights or better yet, perhaps car makers could put some sort of device in the dashboard that is linked to the lights and the device could perhaps change the lights if there were no other traffic.

new topics

top topics

join