It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hello does anybody here know how to stop users on a wireless network from setting up new networks using the wireless network setup wizard?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Are you worried about not being able to get on it?
The question is a bit vague.

A little more info please.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
First, you should change the default password on the router.

Second, you want to enable the WEP/WPA-PSK/or higher encrypted access to the wireless network, especially if you live in an urban area.

Hope this helps, otherwise more info please.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
One other thing you can do (depending on your modem / router)
Hide your SID.
This makes it even harder for unauthorized users piggybacking onto your network as they will not even be able to see it.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
your right sorry i rushed this post a bit.

I'm working for a school, router is setup and so is the security we have 16 laptops that the students use but they seem to be able to setup new wireless networks.

If they do this their network drives will not appear and they will have no internet connection.

Ive been deep into GPO's but found nothing to lock them out of this.

My first thoughts where that the Wizard they run (wireless network setup wizard) is a .cpl file that i could block using group policy objects but no joy.

So does anybody know the name or location of the wizard above so i can block it?

Or perhaps another way.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If their running Windows XP then this may help. Show only specified control panel applets

It will hide any/all dynamic applets within control panel. If you hide them in control panel and remove the "task panes" it should spoof all but the most ardent users.

While it hides the icons from within control panel they could most likely still run it from a command line.

There's always the Walk Softly - Big Stick approach!

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
If their running Windows XP then this may help. Show only specified control panel applets

It will hide any/all dynamic applets within control panel. If you hide them in control panel and remove the "task panes" it should spoof all but the most ardent users.

While it hides the icons from within control panel they could most likely still run it from a command line.

There's always the Walk Softly - Big Stick approach!

thanks, tried that,they can get by that all they do is open the applet in the wireless connection in systray (when disconnected).

This is the last in a long line of security holes that ive been trying to fix hopfully when this is sorted all will be good

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
regedit

remove the icon on startup

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
regedit

remove the icon on startup

its the disconnected wireless icon not the connected one can the same be done?

top topics

join