It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Mudslide May Have Killed 2000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Norwegian media says 200 have died and 1500 is missing after a large mudslide in the central Philippines. Some official said that more than 2000 might have been killed.

BBC has it only in their banner at the moment. They say 4 killed - more soon. I guess they will update their numbers...

edit:
BBC updated and they have an article now. Check it for updates.

BBC: Mud wipes out Philippines village

A major landslide in the central Philippines is reported to have buried an entire village.

About 1,500 are reported missing in the village, where one villager said "it sounded like the mountain exploded, and the whole thing crumbled".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2006/2/17 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Wonder why allah did this one?

just for fun maybe?

All kidding aside, Hope it doesnt turn out as bad as it appears to be...

Whats up with all these natural disasters as of late killing many people at a time.. Seems like there was some book that spoke of such events.. I cant remeber the name of it..

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Thank god I already talked to my wife. She lives in the Philippines, in the west central region. I saw the headline and if I hadn't talked to her already today would have flipped out.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Thank god I already talked to my wife. She lives in the Philippines, in the west central region. I saw the headline and if I hadn't talked to her already today would have flipped out.

Just our of curiosity if you dont mind my asking, why does she live there and you dont? Work?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Because we've only been married about a year, and haven't been able to get her visa cleared yet.

It turns out that's VERY close to where my daughter is living with her grand parents though. (First marriage) Same island, same part of the island.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Oh this is so sad, i watched some footage on the news and i cried,

My thoughts are with the familys of the people trapped and the ones who have passed, 23 have so far been confirmed dead,
and still 1,500 missing

sadly they have had to stop the search for the night,

skynews

[edit on 17-2-2006 by asala]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Because we've only been married about a year, and haven't been able to get her visa cleared yet.

It turns out that's VERY close to where my daughter is living with her grand parents though. (First marriage) Same island, same part of the island.

How is your daughter? I hope she's alright. I'm glad your wifes allright as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
3,000 missing...

They have raised the number of missing to 3,000. 109 have been found dead and there are only 57 survivors so far.

Channelnewsasia.com: Up to 3,000 feared dead in Philippine landslide, 109 bodies found

Up to 3,000 people are missing and feared dead after a massive landslide buried a village in the central Philippines, officials said Saturday as 109 bodies were recovered. Rescue official Hermigildo Castil told AFP by phone from Guinsaugon village that 109 bodies had so far been found as rescue work resumed early Saturday. The number of survivors remained at 57 after Friday's disaster in the south of Leyte province.

Maria Lim, mayor of the nearby town of Saint Bernard, and Roger Mercado, the legislator representing the district in the House of Representatives, both raised the number of missing villagers to 3,000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

How is your daughter? I hope she's alright. I'm glad your wifes allright as well.

She's doing ok. They live a little bit farther south thank god.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
They have found 56 survivors so far, with searchers still digging. Out of 300 homes that were in the villiage, three are left standing. There are 20 confirmed dead.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Whats up with all these natural disasters as of late killing many people at a time.. Seems like there was some book that spoke of such events.. I cant remeber the name of it..

Nah hommie its just the mere fact that there's 6+ billion of us sapiens living about this world. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the higher the concentration of people in one area the greater the casualty rate will be if a natural disaster occurs.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Nah hommie its just the mere fact that there's 6+ billion of us sapiens living about this world. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the higher the concentration of people in one area the greater the casualty rate will be if a natural disaster occurs.

Access to information is much more readily available as well and as the Press Release Hacks say, "If it Bleeds, It Leads" (on the front page usually, the more fatalities the more sensationalist the headline)

[edit on 18-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le

just for fun maybe?

The Phllipines are 90% Christian. Displaying your ignorance there.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
There's at least one USN ship on the way, with 1000 US Marines getting ready to deploy to assist in rescue efforts on two more. The international community is putting together a response, but no word on specifics yet.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
They have recieved texts messages from the kids trapped in the school saying they are still alive in a room under the mud...One can only hope they get them out beofre its too late

The rescue attempt focused on the village's school, where about 200 children and 40 adults were believed to be buried. On Friday, rescuers received text messages from the victims.

"We're still in one room, alive," read one. "We are alive. Dig us out," said another.

Source

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by C0le

just for fun maybe?

The Phllipines are 90% Christian.

Erm... You didnt get it i guess...

ah well..

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The Marines have set up a command center to pass out water, blankets, and aid. They're requesting food, blankets, tents, and shoes. There is aid pouring in from around the world, from $50,000 to start from the US embassy to $2 million from the Red Cross. The USS Essex and USS Harpers Ferry arrive on Sunday with 1000 Marines on board to assist in rescue and recovery efforts.

No survivors have been found since Friday, at which time 92 people have been found alive, and 57 bodies recovered.

[edit on 2/19/2006 by Zaphod58]

top topics

join