It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the outcry from moderate Muslims?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
With all the riots and bombings over cartoons that might offend people, where is the outcry from more moderate muslims to denounce the violant reactions of Extremist muslims?

It has gotten to the point now that people are in such fearo f muslims taht they take books off of libary shelves, and edit the paper so they might not be the cause of violance.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
While there are Muslims acting violently I believe the public's fear should be blamed on the mainstream media. Burning embassies in Syria make for better ratings than thousands of peaceful Muslims speaking up in the UK against radicals.

Not only do these things get ignored by the MSM but they also seem get ignored here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well for one thing the only denouncing of these actuions are from muslims non-arab countries like England, Canada, and America. Nothing from the Middle-east. it isn't that the MSM isn't reporting it.. becasue there is nothing out there.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Well for one thing the only denouncing of these actuions are from muslims non-arab countries like England, Canada, and America. Nothing from the Middle-east. it isn't that the MSM isn't reporting it.. becasue there is nothing out there.

Well I'd think that would be a suicide mission for them to do so in muslim states, you know?

I can totally understand not wanting to put their neck on the chopping block.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I've wondered the same thing, and not just about Muslims.

The first question, as already mentioned, would be whether it's a media-promoted misperception, or whether moderates really do tend not to dissociate themselves from extremists.

Assuming that it's a real thing, why? Why won't moderate Muslims denounce the extremists? Or moderate feminists? Moderate minority rights advocates? Moderate right-to-lifers or pro-choicers?

I suspect it's because they've spent so long battling their accustomed enemies that they can't even give the appearance of backing down, even a little-- that they're afraid that if they admit that some among them are wrong for whatever reason, that it will only provide ammunition with which they will all be attacked.

And, at that, they might be right...

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Heh sorry to tell all of y'all, but Muslims can't take criticism. I had words with a Israel Arab woman who became athesist and she even said it. "There is no such thing as a moderate muslim"

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I wouldn't actually be surprised if there was an outcry from moderate muslims, but if there were, they were probably labelled "extremists" anyway. Who knows, before those cartoons were published, some of those extremists were probably moderate as well.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
where is the outcry from more moderate muslims to denounce the violant reactions of Extremist muslims?

A huge list of Muslim Condemnations
Free Muslims
Muslims against Terrorism
Middle Eastern Muslims Against Terrorism
Jordan against Extremism
Jordan's Anti-terror Rallies
UAE and Turkmenistan condemn Extremists acts
Yemen's Peaceful Program against Terror

I could do this ALL DAY! The information is out there. Virtually every middle eastern country has programs, statements and organizations that condemn terror and extremist acts. You just have to look.

Google [middle eastern country] muslims against terrorism.

They're not going to come up and bite you on the butt or knock on your door to tell you about it. If you really want to know, it's there.

On the other hand, if you want to continue to believe that moderate muslims are complicit in terrorism or that they don't exist, stay on your current path, turn a blind eye, continue embracing ignorance and keep telling yourself that all muslims are responsible and accountable for the actions of a few.

Your choice.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
OMFG...u mean to tell me "moderate muslims" actualy exist? wow..

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
brax and benev beat me to most of the stuff, but they left out the pakistani popstars denouncing extremist islam...

i have a thread on it in war on terror conspiracies if you do some digging

so there are plenty of examples, the media just doesn't report on them..
unless you're counting NPR

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Here we go again MIMS, an avowed atheist who condemns Christianity at every opportunity, (and rightly so), but appears to go out on a limb to defend Islam at every opportunity.

Not wanting to offend or anything, but just curious why the different stance from a self-avowed atheist?
I just don't get it, especially from one as educated, well reasoned and intelligent as you most obviously are.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Here we go again MIMS, an avowed atheist who condemns Christianity at every opportunity, (and rightly so), but appears to go out on a limb to defend Islam at every opportunity.

...i'm not defending islam. i'm just attacking the ignorance that there is no outcry for muslims about ignorance

i have a problem with islam
no doubt about that.
i just have a bigger problem with overall ignorance like "muslims don't condemn fundamentalism"
the thing is that christians treat islam like it's some special evil religion... but i want to point out that it's absolutely no different from christianity in regards to attitude to extremism

Not wanting to offend or anything, but just curious why the different stance from a self-avowed atheist?
I just don't get it, especially from one as educated, well reasoned and intelligent as you most obviously are.

we don't have a different stance
we aren't defending islam, we're just showing that the premise is false. there is an outcry from moderate and liberal muslims...
but that doesn't mean islam is good

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
There are "Moderate" Muslims...

In the sense, they speak out against terrorism, but they still may be overly conservative...

new topics

top topics

join