It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the suicide song Gloomy Sunday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Gloomy Sunday - the notorious 'suicide song' - was written in 1933. Its melody and original lyrics were created by Rezs� Seress, a self-taught pianist and composer born in Hungary in 1899.

The crushing hopelessness and bitter despair which characterised the two stanza penned by Seress were superseded by the more mournful, melancholic verses of Hungarian poet L�szl� J�vor.

When the song came to public attention it soon earned a reputation as the 'suicide song'. Several reports from Hungary alleged individuals had taken their lives after listening to the haunting melody or that the lyrics had been left with their last letters.

www.phespirit.info...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I would post the link if anyone wanna listen to this song.

Listen at your own risk.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 06:27 AM
link   
hmmmmmm do you know where a recording of this could be obtained???

just curious to hear it

There's a running joke in Aus that the Smiths are the ultimate suicide band and that 2am is the start of the suicide hour........

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Well, Sundays are gloomy enough without suicide music thank you

Isn't there a modern day version of a "suicide song"? Oh yeah, Justin Timberlakes album

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 06:30 AM
link   
As far as my sources tells me, the record was banned for 13 years worldwide with countries including, US, UK, Frnace and spain.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
hmmmmmm do you know where a recording of this could be obtained???

just curious to hear it

There's a running joke in Aus that the Smiths are the ultimate suicide band and that 2am is the start of the suicide hour........

Would you like to listen to the song?

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I read about this a couple of years ago. You can obtain the song sheet on the net so you can play it on the piano but other than that I've never seen the recording. If anyone knows where to obtain it let me know, I'll take my chances.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 07:12 AM
link   
yes id like to listen to the song

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   

this is the piece

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I was listening to it and I can only describe it as it's depressing yet creepy. Probably it's just psychological.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kurtcobainuk
yes id like to listen to the song

Hold on! I saved it on my hard drive and now it's gone?

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
There is a movie "Gloomy Sunday" based on the song.

It's VERY good having played continiously in our city for about 3 years nonstop.

metromix.chicagotribune.com...

In the film, the song takes on mythic elements, as it did shortly after it was composed in 1935 by two Hungarians, Rezso Seress and Laszlo Javor. The melancholy, popular tune was blamed for a rash of suicides in Hungary in 1936. (Several American musicians and singers recorded the "Hungarian Hymnsong," most famously Billie Holiday.)

The string of suicides is recounted in the film, but what could have been overly melodramatic is handled with grace and skill by the director and the actors. The sorrowful elements of the music foreshadow the tragedy to come as the Nazis march across Europe and into Hungary.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Diamanda Galas does Gloomy Sunday better than anyone else. Her interpretation really suits her vocal range.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Here is the link. (never mind the chinese characters) the song will play automatically. Once again, listen at your own risk, tho I made it thru the first nite, it did make me feel kinda weird.
student.thu.edu.tw...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   
People, pls give your opinion after hearing this song.

ThanX.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I listened to it and it isn't bad. Nice piece of music.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willcall
I listened to it and it isn't bad. Nice piece of music.

It is if I didnt know the whats the story behind this song.
I had shiver down my spine while listening to it.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 09:54 PM
link   
that particular version sounded a lot like Sarah McLachlan.

for the record, I thought it was beautiful. then again, I like melancholy stuff.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 09:57 PM
link   
have to agree that I like the song also those are some deep lyrics.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Sounds like Led Zeppelin might have ripped it off for 'babe I'm gonna leave you'. Cursed songs would have been right up their street.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join