It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Doctors suggest organ selling.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Two US doctors have suggested the sale of organs such as kidneys should be legalised to meet the rising demand.
They said bids to increase the donor pool were failing, and a black market in organ sales was booming.

Writing in Kidney International the pair said, while it remained a taboo, legalisation should be considered.

But experts in the UK - where selling organs is illegal - said such a move was unnecessary and would exploit the poorest sections of society. BBC

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree that cracking down on the 'black market' is a good thing, but are we going to have to bid for an organ that could save or prolong ones life?

Just imagine, "Well i have enough money to purchase the organ when it's matched", and then thinking oops i forgot the cost of the surgery and on going anti-rejection treatment.

I suppose you could compare it to buying anything. The initial price is paid for, but how do you fund the 'maintenance'.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Cara]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cara
"Well i have enough money to purchase the organ when it's matched", and then thinking oops i forgot the cost of the surgery and on going anti-rejection treatment.

I suppose you could compare it to buying anything. The initial price is paid for, but how do you fund the 'maintenance'.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Cara]

Well I suppose if it was (forgive me) government supervised, fixed fees etc. it might be only a little bit weird/inappropriate. At least with over veiw I would hop you could only buy one if you could also afford the meds.

The down side is soon the estates of dying people would expect the same fees and the market of "free " kidneys would dry up.

as a transplant receipant this is tough for me.. i would rather see stem cell research furthered (suitibly) to get perfect clones and no price per body part.

Do you know the joke about the wonderful pig that sings?

A reporter notices that the pig is missing it's ; bum cheek. a leg , some ribs,etc. He then ask's the farmer about the missing parts. He replys"When you have a pig that is this speacial you do not eat him all a once."

Dead steve

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Hi Cara and everyone

My Mum has duplex kidneys...so she has 4 of them... she could do with the money... he he he...I think she has 2 spare and could sell them..but ethically, what if you needed a kidney and couldn't afford to pay? oh spose my Mum is a softie so she would prob give them away!

but on a serious note, I am an organ donor on my licence and a friend of mine who is a GP told me to take it off, cos rather than do everything they can to save you, they do the min so they can have your organs

farout!! anyway I bags my Mum's spare set cos with my social life, might need a new set of kidneys!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cara

Two US doctors have suggested the sale of organs such as kidneys should be legalised to meet the rising demand.
They said bids to increase the donor pool were failing, and a black market in organ sales was booming.

Writing in Kidney International the pair said, while it remained a taboo, legalisation should be considered.
BBC

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If my heirs could benefit from it, I'd donate my organs. The medical corporations, regardless of any "non-profit" status, assuredly are profiting from the organ trade, and I'd rather be kept in one piece after my death than have my family cheated out of a small share in it while supporting an ungodly, inefficient, socialized system.

[edit on 17-2-2006 by Paul of Nisbis]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Bah. This will not be practiced for that long as Vat Grown organs are nearly ready for Human trials, at least for Kidneys, Lungs and Hearts. Printable Organs are coming down the pipeline soon as well sooo..... I would spend any "profits" this makes on those technologies but will it?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   

but on a serious note, I am an organ donor on my licence and a friend of mine who is a GP told me to take it off, cos rather than do everything they can to save you, they do the min so they can have your organs

That's a fairly ambitious statement to make, considering any doctor opens himself to scrutiny and law suit when a patient dies of a preventable injury or illness. I've never seen anyone treated differently in the trauma ward due to their donor status. Most often, we don't know if someone is a donor or not until after the treatment has worked or failed. It's not vital, why bother finding the information until necessary? Also, I find it odd that a GP would know anything about how people are treated in a hospital in life or death situations. They really don't deal with thoes types of patients...

Ciao bella,
~MFP

new topics

top topics

join