It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New gadget repels teenagers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Check this out, are you bothered by gangs of youths hanging around on steet corners near you, or loitering out side shops when they should be in school? well heres your answer!

www.ananova.com... ceanddiscovery

I thought this was pretty funny, I mean if it actually does work then i can see them popping up everywhere! I wonder if dogs are affected by this...

peace

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
so are they saying that when you turn 21 your hearing changes and your no longer able to hear them noises?

sounds crazy to me

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
What about babies and small children that have no way to communicate other than crying? Can you imagine a parent and thier child waiting in a car in front of a store. That has to be hell for the little ones. Maybe they can post signs or something to let people know

What about hearing aids, will it have an effect on them?

[edit on 16/2/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
There is a much cheaper and environmentally friendly way to do that. Some stores are playing classical music over outside speakers.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

from superdupermans link

Working in his bedroom in Merthyr Tydfil, and using his four children as guinea pigs, he came up with a prototype of his device and asked the local shop to test it.

"I got it so that only my kids hated it and my fianceé and I were completely unperturbed," he said. "We put up the prototype outside the store and almost immediately people stopped congregating.

What an amazing development. Now we'll be able to clear malls and hangouts everywhere.

The potential for herding is exceptional...truancy officers should take note.

OK...I'm kidding, really...

Merthyr Tydfil must be a 'fun' dad...bless his bleak little coal of a heart.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by superduperman
www.ananova.com... ceanddiscovery
peace

That doesn't even make sense.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama

That doesn't even make sense.

Could you please elaborate on that, Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama?

It seems to make perfect sense to me mainly because the hearing in young people is more acute than in adults.

I totally disagree that the use of such a device will have the desired result over time, though...because teenagers are not stupid. They will eventually 'catch on' as to what is being perpetrated on them and react to the nasty means being used.

Personally, I think Howard Roark's idea of classical music has a much better chance at extended success and I also think that SportyMB raises a reasonable concern in that it will affect babies and small children in a nasty way.

Dae

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I really really love this idea, 'cos it made me grin wickidly! However, seriously now, teenagers are not mosquitoes, they are our future adults and deserved to be treated a bit more fairly. How? Lets spend some money on more youth clubs, workers and simply warm safe hang outs for them.

Ive heard so many complaints of "youths on the streets" which I find amusing and hypocritical, where else is there for them? Isnt our housing on streets? I know mine is.

The area I live in is just like this, young people on the streets because there is nowhere else to go and I can see the local shops using such a device. Fair enough too, shop keepers shouldnt have to deal with "our" kids.

There should be places for them to go and things for them to be doing.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
There is a much cheaper and environmentally friendly way to do that. Some stores are playing classical music over outside speakers.

I like that idea
send them packing with class.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Having medical background I can tell you that article is total nonsense. Adolescents can usually hear better, but anyone can hear an 80 decibal burst.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
They demonstrated this on the gadget show in the uk i couldn't hear a thing though but from the demonstration it seemed to work pretty well the teens actually covered their ears.

Not being able to hear it made me feel kinda old though i'm in my 20's and the show had a warning the signal would be broadcast and anyone under 25 might want to change channel.

I can see a lot of use for this actually in the uk.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

Ive heard so many complaints of "youths on the streets" which I find amusing and hypocritical, where else is there for them?

Good point, Dae...you're hitting the nail directly on the head.

We (adults) bring children into the world and, for their pre-teens, coddle them with all sorts of love and affection. That's a good thing, no doubt...but then the inevitable happens...they turn into teenagers.

Teenagers are rebellious...they need to be because it is the natural way for them to progress from coddled children to responsible adults. It is natural that they seek each other out to respond to the cold world outside of the home. They need to find respect among their peers (which parents cannot give them no matter how much money they have).

The respect they need is a currency...and it is the price of admission for belonging in the newly found society which develops because of the school system which is seperate from the nurturing of their parents.

Because schools furthermore cannot adequately provide for the extra-curricular activities which teenagers flock to, they are forced into a 'middle ground' between home and school. They are left to their own devices, without any involvement from adults, and trends toward anti-social behaviour develop.

Adults and businesses look at these non-children/non-adult groups and wish them gone. That's the problem. No matter where you go, it's the same...a few pitiful attempts to give kids a place to go always ends up with a persistant police presence and complaints from adults.

My sons were once questioned by 2 officers, because they were sitting on swings in the schoolyard after 6 in the evening. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
My sons were once questioned by 2 officers, because they were sitting on swings in the schoolyard after 6 in the evening. Go figure.

Same happened to me a lot as a teen Police sometimes seem to have nothing better to do than hassle people the time it happened me about 3 of us were just sitting on swings talking and about 4 armoured landrovers full of cops all drove into the park and we were accused of all kinds of crazy nonsence searched us, threatened us, accused me of being the ringleader, the usual.

Another time i was about 18 and had just walked out of my door (yes of my house) and a police landrover pulled up and questioned me about where i was going and claimed i matched a description of someone stealing a squad car 15 minutes ago and what did i know about it. I joked about yeah it's in my pocket and they threatened to take me in this was right outside my house which pissed me off.

I've lost count of the amount of incidents like these i got when i did nothing wrong ok granted i don't like like an angel.

At the same time though i lot of groups of teenagers do vandalise and generally make a lot of drunken noise in residential areas at times like 2 or 3 in the morning that's where i see a device like this being useful.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
A friend of mine has a high pitched device in his garden to clear of animals operated on a heat sensor. He is unable to hear the high pitch tone (like alot of peeps ive asked round there) but it makes me and a few others want to leave.

new topics

top topics

join