It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Saddam Talked Of WMD Attack in US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
New tape recordings of Saddam Hussein recently released show that the once leader of Iraq openly discussed WMD attacks against the US. In sections of the tape released he talks about nuclear matereal exploding in Washington, biological weapons, and hiding weapons of mass destruction from U.N. inspectors. US intelligence experts say although this doesn't prove he possessed the weapons it does show he had an interest in them. The tapes are believed to have been recorded in the ’90s, after the first Gulf War.

www.msnbc.msn.com
WASHINGTON - Among the treasure trove of information captured after Saddam Hussein's fall were tape recordings of the Iraqi leader discussing weapons of mass destruction with top aides.

"We shouldn’t be surprised to see a car bomb with nuclear [material] explode [in] Washington, either germ or chemical," Saddam tells aides. "So this is coming,” Saddam says on the tapes, “but not from Iraq," he adds, seeming to indicate that Iraq would not be the source of any such attack.

Other aides seem to discuss hiding weapons from U.N. inspectors. “We have not told them the truth about the imported material,” one says. He adds, “Where was the nuclear material transported to? A number of them were transported out of Iraq.” He also says: “We will confess, but not to the biological program.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well this just seems to come at the right time. This reaks of trying to provide reasons for actions in Iran. I especially like the part where they include that he said "Where was the nuclear material transported to?"

You also have to remember that these recordings were dont right after the 1st Gulf war so he was a little pissed too.

[edit on 15-2-2006 by North Rider]

[edit on 15-2-2006 by North Rider]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Other aides seem to discuss hiding weapons from U.N. inspectors. “We have not told them the truth about the imported material,” one says. He adds, “Where was the nuclear material transported to? A number of them were transported out of Iraq.” He also says: “We will confess, but not to the biological program.”

msn.com

This alone is enough to justify the invasion. It proves that Saddam was intent on deceiving the weapons inspectors and that whatever he could get his hands on he would have. Saddam thumbed his knows at the wrong time and at the wrong President.

I don't see how anyone could say that this information is in any way related to the situation with Iran. It may very well be that the US might have to go to war with Iran, but I believe that if or when that happens, there will be an even broader base of support given Iran's posturing against Israel and the ongoing violence in Europe by Muslims. It might be that at the time of the US invasion of Iraq, Europe might not have been able to see the handwriting on the wall, but I believe that is changing rapidly. Even France is threatening a nuclear response to terror. Spain, Denmark and Britain can't be too far behind when it comes to having their fill of this nonsense.

[edit on 2006/2/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The only problem is that it was all from the nineties and is very well know that one of the reasons for invations after the MWDs were no found was because Saddam thought about making MWDs or had intentions of making them.

No that he had them.

Pity. it proves nothing, just another efford to justify what is already done and deal with can we move on or the Republican party is so scare of losing the congress that has to bring this all back as a reminder.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Marg, it does prove something. It proves that Saddam didn't have good intentions towards the west. This gives more credence to the warnings that Russian authorities gave the U.S. government since 9/11 til the beginning of the war that Saddam was still planning on making terrorist attacks in U.S. soil, among with evidence from other countries that seem to link Saddam's regime with Al Qaeda, despite the media in the west trying to deny this.

And why not show this? are you afraid that you could have been wrong and there were good motives for ousting Saddam's regime?

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
No one wanted there to be WMD's more than me. Then when they were not found I assumed that all were moved to Iran and Syria. I still think there are some weapons that were moved and probably never will be found but I do not understand why the tapes would be coming out now.
Unless they pinpoint the exact location in the Iraqi desert or Syria where weapons are hidden, they are of no use. Even if they led to weapons, many here will say they were planted there by the US. Which agains brings me back to the question why now? All the naysayers will just group up and say the tapes are fake, that they prove nothing or that it's not really Saddam but a body double......you know like the one we use when we fake the Osama tapes. Honestly though why didn't the tapes surface when Bush and Blair were getting hammered by the world media about no WMD's? You have to question the timing...I mean even I am skeptical on this one.........whoa that was hard for me to admit. I almost fell off my barstool.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
There were tons of document and evidence the intelligence agencies had to shift through, which were not already translated in english btw. I also remember a few months back when we found out that intelligence agencies such as the FBI did not have enough Iraqi translators.

It is very possible that they found this not too long ago. Although it could be possible that they waited to release this piece of evidence.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Sorry but I don't see anything here that justifies the invasion. First he says the attack is coming but not from Iraq. Have you people listened to every single speech given by Bush and other republicans since 9/11. They say the same freakin thing. The attack is coming, some day.

As for the aides talking about weapons programs, it sounds like they are planning the elaborate deception, making us all think they have something they don't. You can read it both ways.

Either way, this proves nothing. It won't justify what we have done in the name of our safety. We still attacked the wrong country. Iran and North Korea are real threats to the US, Iraq was contained. Today it is a mess and not likely to get any better.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
muaddib it proves nothing, the deed is done and deal with, is time to move on.

Iraq has been invaded, destroyed and a new government is put in place.

Now is time to direct attentions to more pressing matter like the propose budget that will affect us American like never before.

Saddam is a death issue.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Ya know Reagan and Rumsfeld were the ones to give Saddam WMDs in the first place to keep Iran in check. And the sactions that followed the Persian Gulf war in the 90s WORKED to prevent Iraq from making anymore. This is such old news it is only valid if you ignore the date stamp of the statement and place it closer to the 9/11 attacks.

Yet even tho the IAEA never found any, they were told by the president there were WMD in Iraq, and to get out since the US military was bearing down. Yet even that US military didn't even bother to secure ammo sites on its way to fully invading Iraq. Now those same unsecured Ammo sites have been plundered to provide explosives for IEDs and car bopmbs to kill US soldiers.

Yes you might have a tape of him saying he wants to use WMD on the US, if we attacked every country that had leaders who wanted to use WMD on the US, the human race would be in danger of extinction. Pre-emptive strikes were certainly not needed, and the sactions WERE working

[edit on 2/17/2006 by Jehosephat]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   
[Ya know Reagan and Rumsfeld were the ones to give Saddam WMDs in the first place to keep Iran in check. And the sactions that followed the Persian Gulf war in the 90s WORKED to prevent Iraq from making anymore. This is such old news it is only valid if you ignore the date stamp of the statement and place it closer to the 9/11 attacks. ]

I am so tired of this MYTH................

The French, Germans, Russians and many others sent "banned" components to Saddam up until "W" torched the place.

If you read and research these tapes appear to have come from the russian "mofia". The ex-cia chief "morons" have just started to "smurf" away from public view.

It would appear the POST War Intell was just as bad as PRE War Intell. Or was it? I do see a massive cover-up here..............BUT WHY?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Marg, this thread in specific is about a new tape released about was SAddam was saying. It does prove quite a bit since I remember that quite a few members kept saying after the war started that Saddam was no threat to the U.S. and tere are member that are still singing that old an false song.

Iraq is not "destroyed", like you are claiming. There are many towns in Iraq that are now getting clean water, and a good working sewage system that was not working at all when Saddam was in power, along some other good things happening in Iraq which the media does not report because a lot of people just want to read about death and destruction. If anyone is destroying parts of Iraq it is the terrorists/insurgents.

BTW, the coalition is still in Iraq, so this topic should still be valid for ATSNN. i would vote the poster for way above if i could, but it seems that few want this story to make it pass a submission for some reason.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Jehosephat...the ones to give most of the wmd and other military weaponry to Iraq, and to Iran now, were Russia, China, and a few European countries....
The country that Saddam owed the most money to was Russia, because of the arm deals they had, even when the sanctions were in place.

BTW, in case you don't know the sanctions didn't work because countries like Russia were still selling banned weaponry to iraq in exchange for oil. Perhaps you have heard of the Oil for Food scandal? If you haven't do a search and you will see what the sanctions worked for.

[edit on 17-2-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Muabbid I saw a documentary from Iraq in Showtime Is called Batterground from an independent group of reporters and the documentary has good issues about how people feel and bad issue also.

One that struck me the most is the devastation of some of the cities, the tons of trash from demolished buildings from the bombs that still lies in piles on the roads.

Also they are paying Iraqis civilians to pick contaminated trash left behind from the bombs that US used in their assaults because US used bombs that contained uranium.

The US has set up land fields full of metal and bomb parts, the area is so contaminated that the readings were high with radiation.

People were working in those land fields cutting metal parts to sell.

They were asked if they knew that the amount of radiation was enough to kill them and they said that they were there because they needed the money.

Still nobody is guarding those areas to keep civilians and children from the contamination.

Very sad, Muaddib, very sad you should see the documentary.

Saddam was going to use MWDs in the US, right a tape say so.

How about what is now going on in Iraq with contaminated material from bombs.

How come nobody is making a big issue about that.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Wonder what's in the timing to dig up old Saddam tapes. Perhaps it's time to throw the wardogs a bone, so they dismiss those new Abu Ghraib photos...otherwise they might choke on hypocrisy.

Good doggies, bad iraqis...

Latest Abu Ghraib pictures threaten to inflame anger in Iraq -USA Today

New images appeared Thursday on the website Salon.com, which said it had obtained more than 1,000 photographs, videos and supporting documents from the Army Criminal Investigation Command investigation of the case.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Saddam tapes aren't defusing the Iraqis, but Rummy has a plan! It's time unleash the matrix.

Rumsfeld: U.S. propaganda needs to enter digital age

[edit on 17-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Why is this news? Google 'Hussein Kamel'. He said all of this in 1995. Is this a news dump to distract people from Abu Gharib or Deadeye Dick?

[edit on 17-2-2006 by curme]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Wonder what's in the timing to dig up old Saddam tapes. Perhaps it's time to throw the wardogs a bone, so they dismiss those new Abu Ghraib photos...otherwise they might choke on hypocrisy.

What in the world does Abu Ghraib has to do with the reasons for going to Iraq?.....

You think that because there have been some soldiers who have misused their power that is reason enough to claim that the coalition shouldn't have ousted Saddam?..... That's a very weak argument if you haven't noticed...

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Good doggies, bad iraqis...

Hey Regenmacher, leave the insults and the belittling comments out of the forums, or tell them to someone who cares about what you think....

[edit on 17-2-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Why is this news? i think the original poster saw that these tapes were new and since it is in the news..... I think you get the drift, don't you?

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib What in the world does Abu Ghraib has to do with the reasons for going to Iraq?.....

You think that because there have been some soldiers who have misused their power that is reason enough to claim that the coalition shouldn't have ousted Saddam?..... That's a very weak argument if you haven't noticed...

Hey Regenmacher, leave the insults and the belittling comments out of this topic, or tell them to someone who cares about what you think....

And your point is showing us you lack the intelligence to fathom what defines hypocrisy or timing?

Also you lack the comprehension of what I wrote. So what part did I argue in regards to Saddam should not be ousted? You seem to be void of seeing the big picture and assume things out of thin air, cause your so wrapped up in parroting partisan nonsense, you lack the ability to see things independently or outside the box. It has nothing to do with your fragile ego and how you think everything is a personal attack. If I wanted to evoke your dictatorial blather, the header would of had your name on it.

Good dogs, bad iraqis...the reality is bad dogs, bad iraqis, both crap and no excuses. The reason for the timing of this release is what I am looking into because it's old verbatim and would only surface to counteract other promulgation. Everything is released for a reason as in containment level propaganda issued by psyops to muddy the water. In this case it is for obfuscation and damage control since the heat is on from Europe about torture and prisons.

We hope that Iraq has not become the kind of place where we fight fire with fire. We hope it hasn’t become the kind of place where one man’s misdeeds can justify his wife’s imprisonment. If that’s the case, then we have employed the same tactics that Saddam did. If this is the case, then our only means of fighting are by brute force. source

US 'losing media war to al-Qaeda' -BBC
Guantanamo Bay in the spotlight -BBC

Well the Saddamathon is a wash out towards public interest.
Psyops will have to do better.

[edit on 17-2-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The conclusion I come with is that Saddam is out, Iraq has a government US did the deed and is over.

So lets move on please.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
---edited---

[edit on 18-2-2006 by Muaddib]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join