It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are tatoos a good idea yes or no?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I have a few tattoos, and my wife has most of her back and arms done. If they are well thought out designs, executed by a good reputable artist, they are excellent works of art.

who

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I have 2, one on my shoulder blade (VERY painful at first), and a large one on my right arm/ shoulder. I like them, I dont see anything wrong with them. Its a simple example of self expression.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have a small butterfly on my shoulder. I'd wanted it done for about the last 15 years.It only took about 5 minutes to do but it was 5 minutes of excrutiating pain and I nearly snapped my thumbs off because i was gripping them so tightly.But I'm pleased with the result and I might go for another one on my foot this time I think.I don't know what i want done so it will probably be quite a while before I go for it because I want to be 100% sure that it will be something that I won't regret later.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have 6.
I won't "regret" any of them, because none are trendy cutesy things (i.e. Tazmanian Devil).
The four on my torso all represent my ethnic heritage (Irish, German, Native American, Egyptian).
The two on my back are part of a work in progress, what will eventually be a totem-pole up my spine representing major life events.
This will be my next one, done all in black ink:
www.markings.ca...
In Irish mythology, many of the female battle goddesses are linked with crow or raven. The design & animal reflect my heritage as well as representing a life event.

To me, they're a good idea.

-B.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
These days tats don't carry the heritage they once had (either the positive or negative associations).

They are important for children who want to conform to the expectations of their peers in many cases, as in any branding exercise.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If when you get a tattoo,that the place of business doing it reports the marking and location on the body to the authorities,hmmmm?,Are they really that popular,or are they more useful to someone who promotes their application,like Hitler with the jews in the camps.
Just a thought.
Tattoos and identifying marks IMO are stupid,go get your car painted,you can change that back to the original color if you get tired of it,for less than what it costs to get a tattoo removed.
Mind is just wandering around today.......

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by uNBaLaNCeD
If when you get a tattoo,that the place of business doing it reports the marking and location on the body to the authorities,hmmmm?,Are they really that popular,or are they more useful to someone who promotes their application,like Hitler with the jews in the camps.
Just a thought.
Tattoos and identifying marks IMO are stupid,go get your car painted,you can change that back to the original color if you get tired of it,for less than what it costs to get a tattoo removed.
Mind is just wandering around today.......

I guess you havent hung out in too many tattoo parlors have you???

Tatoo artists are the MOST anti-establishment, anti-society, anti-government people you will ever meet. They are the LAST people who would be reporting ANYTHING to anyone regarding your tats as identifiers...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Good point Valhall. I said similar once before and got flamed. But although tats look good (and I gather NZ is one of the most tattooed countries in the world) piercing very rarely enhance appearance.

I have seen so many "pretty" females disfigured (thats all I can call it) by something through their chin or lip, or tongue. Bellybuttons and ears are OK though.

Originally posted by Valhall
I don't think there is anything wrong with people getting a tattoo, but what I'm concerned with is that the current trend seems to be toward self-mutilation versus expression or decoration. I can't help but have the opinion that bizarre piercings and almost full body tattooing is meant to desecrate the body instead of adorn it. There's something not right about all of it.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   

dont take the piss, ive got my insurance number tatto'd on my left arm... as a statement to technological opression!

I assure you, I'm not taking the piss. I presume you mean your NI number? That reminds me, I lost my card about 10 years ago, I must get a new one.

I refuse to accept a Nectar card at Sainsbury's. The lady asks me if I have a card and I reply 'I don't like my movements and actions being tracked' and she just looks blankly at me. He he, they have no sense of humor.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I think tattoos are ok if you think about it and get something that has meaning. I'm planing to get one when I turn 18.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I see no problems with people having tattoos. I have one, and it's in a spot that it's concealed unless I'm wearing shorts anyways. BTW, it's a barcode, I wanted to beat the government to it.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm ok with something small, in a barely noticable spot, as far as women are concerned (just a personal taste, not a blanketted viewpoint)... As far as for guys, as long as it doesn't show when wearing a dress shirt, I'm cool with it...

Personally, I wouldn't get one, because I've seen what age does to them, and it isn't pretty.....
As for branding, that's just plain retarded imho...but hey, it's an individual's choice....

The real craziness is the facial piercings... A tongue stud I can live with, but not on the eyebrows, nose, etc. Then facial tatooing, that is completely out there....

Not for me, but if it's how people want to express themselves, then hey, so be it... The above is simply what I would find acceptable for my significant other, or if I was hiring, etc.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

if you take care of them from the get go they dont age.. you need to make sure when you go out in the sun for extended periods of time to put sunblock on them. Unfort I learned about this MANY years after my first few, so the now need some touch ups. However my friend has done so from day one and hers look nothing at all like how old they are, people think her sleeve was just done and its been almost 5 years.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Your body is a blank canvas (or a wonderland), but paint the world around you by making friends, exercising, and finding the perfect job. Don't paint on yourself, it shows you do not know what to do with yourself...

With Love,

'___'eed.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Tattoos, in my opinion, are one of the most exciting things a person can do in their life. Both of the tat's that I have gotten I thought about for a very long time before committing to them and a few years on I still love both to death.

You go through such a different range of emotions when getting a tattoo! You get excited when you first think of something you like, even more excited when you book your appointment to get it done, the fear and anxiety when you sit there and wait for them to start the tat, the agony of getting it done, the relief and excitement when they're all finished, and then the excitement never seems to stop after it's done. I still look at both my tats and smile, and will do for a very long time yet!

My friends and I went on a world trip last year and had the best time of our lives. The tat on my avatar is to commemorate the trip, all 3 of us got it. After many, many, many designs and talking to a few tattoo artists we finally came up with that one. God I love it

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I will NEVER NEVER NEVER get a Tatto...

Just look gross...

Ever seen a Tatto on a WWII vetren...

Not cool...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The above is simply what I would find acceptable for my significant other, or if I was hiring, etc.

I guess you won't be hiring Mike Tyson??

As to the OP,

Yes Tatts are cool but like Gazrok I have limits on who I'd date (for example). I have dated girls with several tats but no full sleaves etc..
I myself have one tatt on my upper arm...

As for the comments on getting old and tattoos looking ugly. Everything looks uglier when you get old.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think it's a form of self expression and am not against them, however it's not something that I will do, just not my thing. But 2 years ago my husband got his first tattoo (cross on his arm) and a few months ago got his second tattoo (lion on his shoulder blade). They both are symbols/designs that he thought about for months before finalizing and they both have meaning to him. Personally I think they look HOTT on him!

I just think it's something that should be done with alot of thought and meaning behind and not just something you do when you are bored on a Friday night and then later it has no meaning to you.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think getting a tattoo just sh!ts and giggles is ridiculous.

On the other hand, taking the time to design a tattoo that is meaningful and personal is a great idea. That is what I did with mine

Placement is important too.

-Dev

[edit on 26-8-2008 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
NEVER will I ruin my natural body and get tattoos. I'm all for other people having the freedom to do so. But NEVER will I have one on my body. I'm not a piece of paper, my skin is fine the way it is, I don't need art on my body, I think the art of nature is good enough.

Just the thought of it never coming off would drive me crazy, I'd probably end up trying to wash it off all the time lol, you would have to force me to get a tattoo.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join