It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Information Awareness revisited

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Remember Total Information Awareness--the program put forth by the Defense Department in 2002. It was described as a "massive data sweep"…in other words the government collects information about your internet use (searches, websites, ect), your product purchases, and credit rating; all the way to your last speeding ticket. This information would then stored in a national database that was to be housed at the DOD. Due to public rejection--congress buried Total Information Awareness, and we all moved on.

Little did we know this program didn't go away. It resurfaced a few days ago in the mainstream media under a new name and overseen by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). This program has been christened--Analysis, Dissemination, Visualization, Insight, and Semantic Enhancement or ADVISE. It is the same program as Total Information Awareness, but it is now broken up into regions. A new center developed by DHS is located in Richland, Washington under the name National Visualization Analytics Center (NVAC), but satellites have been selected. In the East at the Pennsylvania State University, in the Midwest at Purdue University, in the south at University of North Carolina, and on the west coast and Hawaii at University of Washington in partnership with University of Hawaii and selected Pacific Rim countries (other countries!).

From the website of the NVAC center in Richland, Washington.

“Seeing is knowing, though merely seeing is not enough. When you understand what you see, seeing becomes believing.”
~Pak Chung Wong, PNNL Scientist

These centers will conduct the collection of visual, medical, and text data for their specified regions. At each of these institutions development of Nano Technology and video mining software (software that can automatically recognize over a 100 different types of human behavior and characteristics from video) is being researched and will soon be implemented in conjunction with their data mining efforts. Their goal is to develop new technologies to SEE and analyze information about YOU. Because you must prove you are not a terrorist and unless they can see you and everything you do--then who knows you could be making a bomb--yeah right!

Is this too much information for you…are you still with me…let's go…

US Plans Massive Data Sweep

The U.S. government is developing a massive computer system that can collect huge amounts of data and, by linking far-flung information from blogs and e-mail to government records and intelligence reports, search for patterns of terrorist activity.

The system — parts of which are operational, parts of which are still under development — is already credited with helping to foil some plots. It is the federal government's latest attempt to use broad data-collection and powerful analysis in the fight against terrorism. But by delving deeply into the digital minutiae of American life, the program is also raising concerns that the government is intruding too deeply into citizens' privacy

Now, this article is very cute, and worth reading. But it is handicapped because no one knows WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!!

(taken from article above)

Yet the scope of ADVISE — its stage of development, cost, and most other details — is so obscure that critics say it poses a major privacy challenge.

"We just don't know enough about this technology, how it works, or what it is used for," says Marcia Hofmann of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington. "It matters to a lot of people that these programs and software exist. We don't really know to what extent the government is mining personal data."

Even congressmen with direct oversight of DHS, who favor data mining, say they don't know enough about the program.

"I am not fully briefed on ADVISE," wrote Rep. Curt Weldon (R) of Pennsylvania, vice chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, in an e-mail. "I'll get briefed this week."

Tis a secret worth at least 50 million tax dollars, and even congress is in the dark--high level DHS officals asked the reporter--what's ADVISE? I don't know, what have you heard?

Still, they have picked satellites in every region of this country (one specifically in my state) to collect our private medical records, financial records, private internet communication and searches…and of course, the video information that they record of our goings and comings. A continuous stream of info is collected, but not just stored, the info is then bundled into nice lil packages and crossed referenced with ummm…let's call it "What would a terrorist do". And, the new technology will then determine whether a separate file needs to be started on you…are your activities suspect? Well, we will soon find out. You are being investigated! Don't just assume it--know it!

The NWO is sooo funny, guess what it calls the development of these programs… "Illuminating the Path"…to where I wanna frickin know…let's call that tyranny since everything must have a name.

TIA--original homepage including logo this mirror page was created by memoryhole.org

The DARPA (changed from total) Information Awareness Office (IAO) will imagine, develop, apply, integrate, demonstrate and transition information technologies, components and prototype, closed-loop, information systems that will counter asymmetric threats by achieving total information awareness useful for preemption; national security warning; and national security decision making.

about NVAC

NVAC fulfills a fundamental need to provide leadership, coordination, and advanced analytical tools to make progress in effectively understanding and addressing the threat environment in the United States.

The unique partnerships created under NVAC between national laboratories, university research centers, scholars, and other government agencies represents an on-going commitment to collaboration in the discipline of visual analytics.

NVAC provides stewardship for the Research and Development Agenda, ensuring that a continual stream of advanced analytical tools for information discovery are developed and implemented for stakeholders.

It's the same program just add a few words and divide it up into regions and you got yourself an all seeing eye.

a recent thread that is related (giving credit because it is what put on the path--what are they doing with these searches and where is the information being collected). Peace yall.

Bush Administration Demands Search Data; Google Says No, Others Comply

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
quality, top quality.
its what ATS is all about

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thanks infinite, this my first real research and I must admit it was kinda fun.

The blinding fact is, they need to estiblish the database with this information so that when you are chipped all the information is already assigned a number. It has nothing to do with terrorism. With the Verichip your information is linked with a 16 digit number--but it is said that all they really need is your birthdate and five digit zipcode to identify you. I don't believe the Verichip is the final product. I think it will be something smaller, and that is why governments around the world have increased their investments in nanotechnology. President Bush alluded to this in his State of the Union speech. For 2007 our government plans to spend 1.2 billion dollars on nanotechonolgy and the increasing in spending has been on a steady climb.

The most advanced nanotechonolgy research center in the world is at the ADVISE satellite at Purdue University in Indiana.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
These are all devices that feed your search results to private companies. What if a government agency does the same, but innocently hides a data-tracking program for government use instead of business use?

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Okay...I have significantly scared my sister and my boyfriend so I'm going to put this stuff up here...they are becoming a lil too paranoid to handle it.

UK

The controversial Identity Cards Bill [official PDF text] narrowly passed its critical second reading in the British House of Commons Monday evening despite efforts by opposition parties and rebellious backbenchers from British Prime Minister Tony Blair's [official profile] own Labour Party to stop it. In two years, anyone applying for travel or immigration documents in the United Kingdom will be required to register for a national identification card [JURIST archive]. The cards will include biometric information that will also be kept in a central government database with the goal of combating terrorism and illegal immigration.

UK national ID

Japan

Local governments across Japan began inputting data into a new nationwide central database on Aug. 5, despite complaints from several quarters. Some complaints, such as those from privacy advocates, were expected, but things really began to heat up when several local governments said they wouldn't participate in the system until promised privacy laws were enacted

Japan national ID

Bhutan

The new machine-readable passport with enhanced security features and a new look will be ready to be issued by mid February, according to foreign ministry officials …

In its latest effort to outwit forgers ICAO has specified member countries to adopt a chip called the radio frequency identification chip which will contain the personal bio-data, a digitized version of the photo, and biometrics with facial and fingerprints details. Bhutan, however, is not opting for the chip. “We are new to all this and only affluent countries like the US and European countries are going for the sophisticated facilities,” said Tshewang Dorji.

Smaller nation-states

Germany at the Olympic Games

The photo and personal data are then printed onto the PVC card. Visitors also have to give fingerprints which are stored in a database for the duration of the Games.

From that point onwards, each time visitors want to enter the Deutsches Haus, they must have their cards read in a verification station at the entrance and have their live fingerprints taken. The live data is compared with the data stored. If they match, the visitor is admitted.

Germany Finger printing

MORE…UK--EU

Proponents and vendors of biometric ID however have noted that the general public seems to have some kind of privacy issue with the term "RFID", for some reason fearing that RFID ID documents involve them becoming tagged and monitored crates in the homeland security industry's supply chain. So, as Wired explained last year, the strangely RFID-like chips in biometric ID are instead to be called contactless or proximity chips.

Call it something else maybe then we won't know that you are frickin trying to tag and bag us!

Edit: used the wrong quote code.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Saphronia]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
seeing this just makes them paranoid, and for people to make more and more laws so there is no way in a life time you can get away from being arested for stupid things, its like its been turned into a world wide prison.

they say jump

we say how high?

i say f$?*# you, i want my freedom back!, you have no right over my life! your just here to keep us safe! and keep the nations going, but no what are you doing?

making secret projects, using our money to fund them.
causing havoc in other countrys
lableing us as numbers
keeping an eye on us 24/7

invasion of privacy!. now even if it was just one of thos i wouldent have them in power! and im sure other people wouldent either.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by skywatcher7
making secret projects, using our money to fund them.

I can't ever get passed that part either...it takes special balls made out of some space age metal that we don't even know about yet to plot and scheme on the american people on our own frickin dime...yes, I did a long lil rant about that in a podcast about Operation Northwood.

Originally posted by Ralph_The_Wonder_LlamaThese are all devices that feed your search results to private companies. What if a government agency does the same, but innocently hides a data-tracking program for government use instead of business use?

I found this article that kinda alludes to the thing you are talking about. It's basically more on data mining and the program you are talking about is ADVISE.

Digging For Dirt

You may never have heard the term "data mining," but it's at the core of the argument that's raging over government eavesdropping on Americans. It's also how commercial companies learn about who you are, where you go, what you eat, what you like, what you buy.

Data mining is the process of using computer technology to extract the knowledge that's buried in enormous volumes of undigested information. Trillions of bits of raw data are culled from telephone calls, e-mails, the Internet, airlines, car rentals, stores, credit card records and myriad other sources spawned by the information age.

"Every single search you've ever conducted - ever - is stored on a database somewhere," said Tim Wu, a professor at Columbia Law School in New York. "There's probably nothing more embarrassing than the searches we've made."

Basically everything you do now has an eletronic trace on it...what it seems they want to do is assign a number to your specific trace and then track you. As we ease toward a cashless society it gets more and more plausible that one day they'll have the technology and the systems in place to see everything you do, buy, read...and that's control.

[edit on 19-2-2006 by Saphronia]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Great thread Saphronia ,well researched and presented.

I have a thread on PTS about I.D cards and the big brother state,but I did not realize it was so International.

As you say on the financials everything is moving towards electric money I.E. chip and pin and away from the old paper and coins.

Maybe there is a NWO behind all this ,It is seeming more and more likely everyday.

new topics

top topics

join