It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 5 Americans Think Feds Tapping Their Calls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- About a fifth of Americans think federal agents have listened in on their phone calls, a CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll released Tuesday suggests.

Twenty-one percent of the 1,000 adults who replied to the survey conducted Thursday through Sunday said it was very likely or somewhat likely their conversations had been wiretapped, while 52 percent said it was not at all likely.

Twenty-four percent said it was not too likely.

The sampling error for the question was plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Continued....

Paranoia?

Whats the REAL reason for the spying?

So that you, and your friends are afraid to speak about what the government is doing.

After siezing dictatorial power an example is made of a few elected officials with evidence supposedly obtained from wiretaps.

You conquer both the people and the STATE when the administrator does not need to honor privacy.

A few other legal precedants are required, but they have most if not all of what is needed to establish Fascism other than another attack by invisible enemies.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I wish Gallup would call me for some polls!!

I wonder what those 1 in 5 Americans have to hide??

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Let's see, Americans would like to hide bank account numbers, credit card numbers, financial investments, inventions, politicians want to hide ideas...etc.

Are you telling me you would be OK with total strangers listening in on your phone calls?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This just in: 1 in 5 Americans think they are more important or interesting than they really are!

-- Boat

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
This just in: 1 in 5 Americans think they are more important or interesting than they really are!

-- Boat

Lol, at least the NSA got the CIA off their backs.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Let's see, Americans would like to hide bank account numbers, credit card numbers, financial investments, inventions, politicians want to hide ideas...etc.

Are you telling me you would be OK with total strangers listening in on your phone calls?

No, but the government can find out that information without phone tapping. So in my opinion that argument has no ground for that one fact alone. To me this is crazy, I do wonder why the Gov't would be listneing to these average joes phone calls. And I wonder what gives them the impression that anyone is listening to their phone calls. How exactly do you get the feeling your calls are being listened to.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

It's Always NICE to have a BIG Brother to Watch Over You, ain't it?

The Big Brother just want to Show how much he Cares, you know?

The Big Brother just wants to share that Miniluv around.

Just like Master Orwell wrote in his Immortal Classic - Nineteen-Eighty-Four

"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork."

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone

-- Boat

Very, Very True
I don't see how they would have the time to listen to 1 in 5 people in America?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
No, but the government can find out that information without phone tapping. So in my opinion that argument has no ground for that one fact alone.

Then, why should we make it easier for them to do so? As well, how easy is it to tap a presidential competitor's phone? There are many potential consequences of domestic spying with no oversight.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
No, I do not think it is "ok" for the government to listen in on my calls. And yes, I am sure there are many things that many Americans would like to hide.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn

Originally posted by ludaChris
No, but the government can find out that information without phone tapping. So in my opinion that argument has no ground for that one fact alone.

Then, why should we make it easier for them to do so? As well, how easy is it to tap a presidential competitor's phone? There are many potential consequences of domestic spying with no oversight.
]

Youre missing my point. The govenment doesnt need to tap your or anyone elses phone for that info. Meaning they most likely wouldnt tap a phone for those purposes, guess I need to be a bit more straight forward. Senate Intel. Commitie was briefed on the NSA program, I dont know exactly how this commitie works, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with oversight, otherwise, why would they even be briefed in on any intelligence program.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaotik68

I wonder what those 1 in 5 Americans have to hide??

What did Germans have to hide from the Gestapo?

What did Soviets have to hide from Commisars?

This one thing alone may not be bad for all, but together with other powers it is the glue for a police state.

Naysayers and denialists will not believe it can happen to them, but that just makes it easier for it to happen.

The only one who would take away your freedoms is your own government, and the most important ones are gone already.

An illusion is created blinding you from the true Grand Intent.

Dictatorial power will not be exerted with organized suppression until it is complete.

One more terrorist attack, and Patriot Act 2 will turn America into a Constitutional Dictatorship.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
CNN?
Not that anyone listens to their spin anyways.

IF, and I stress the word 'IF', one in five Americans think the
government is spying on them, then they have no clue as to
what the the wiretaps are.

The wiretaps are ONLY for calls from America to terrorists
overseas. So, either one in five Americans call overseas
terrorists on a regular basis ... or the Americans are
clueless as to what the wiretaps really are all about.
You can blame the hyperactive press .. and laziness
on the parts of Americans to trust the press to tell
them the truth.

Of course there is a third alternative. One that's more likely.
That left wing CNN is just saying that to get it's viewers all
hyped up and more anti-Bush.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

The wiretaps are ONLY for calls from America to terrorists
overseas.

Did we get ahold of Bin Ladens little black book?

How do we know the supposed terrorists numbers, and who decides who is a terrorist, and who is not.

By the definition of terrorist in the Patriot act you are a terrorist, and everyone else here is a terrorist.

If Bush has the right to spy on terrorists he has the right to spy on everyone.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If the NSA, or whomever, wants to listen in on my conversations over the phone, have at it. Ain't nothin' goin' on here. Boredom city. Anyway, those witetaps that you all are on about were for outgoing calls to known or suspected terrorists overseas. Not domestic.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

Did we get ahold of Bin Ladens little black book?

How do we know the supposed terrorists numbers, and who decides who is a terrorist, and who is not.

Considering the fact that many terrorists use satelite phones or just plain cell phones with GPS, it does not take a rocket scientist to imagine who is on the receiving end.

If the transmitting phone is in the middle of no mans land in afganistan it sure as hell is not a camel calling

[edit on 2/20/2006 by shots]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Souljah,

Get that mindless grabage out of here!

-- Boat

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Uh FLyersFan, unless you are calling Greenpeace, ACLU, and John McCain Terrorists, Bush&Co. are tapping more then terrorists.

Also, it's ok for Bush, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln used electronic wiretapping devices to wiretap peoples phones. Look down, according to the Administration people who weren't even ALIVE when the phone was invented wiretapped phones. Hell Washington missed out on telegraph, radio, even the phonograph! But according to the Administration anyone who doesn't agree that Washington wiretapped phones are going to be rounded up and sent to the concentration camps that Haliburton has been contracted to build.

[edit on 20-2-2006 by DevinS]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't know, maybe 1 in 5 Americans think Santa Clause is real, should we change our view on that?
Seriously, can someone tell me why this poll is important? Other than it brings back the topic for the left?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I don't know, maybe 1 in 5 Americans think Santa Clause is real, should we change our view on that?
Seriously, can someone tell me why this poll is important? Other than it brings back the topic for the left?

You've got lies, damn lies and then statistics. People on both sides of the fence on any one issue can take the same statistics and use them to back up differing claims.

Anyway, the way I see it; as long as you're not doing anything you shouldn't be doing (like that father's-rights group in the UK that talked about blowing up the Big Ben and the House of Commons), then what have you got to hide?

There's a greater likelihood of a waiter at the restaurant sneaking out and charging stuff to your credit card, or people going through your garbage and retreiving your credit card and telephone bills, or spyware programs recording your online credit card purchases and e-mails, than there is the NSA tapping your phoneline or mobile.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join