It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Report: US Is Abusing Captives

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   

LA Times

A UN inquiry says the treatment of detainees at Guantanamo Bay, which at times amounts to torture, violates international law.

A draft United Nations report on the detainees at Guantanamo Bay concludes that the US treatment of them violates their rights to physical and mental health and, in some cases, constitutes torture.

It also urges the United States to close the military prison in Cuba and bring the captives to trial on U.S. territory, charging that Washington's justification for the continued detention is a distortion of international law.

The report, compiled by five U.N. envoys who interviewed former prisoners, detainees' lawyers and families, and U.S. officials, is the product of an 18-month investigation ordered by the U.N. Commission on Human Rights. The team did not have access to prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

Nonetheless, its findings - notably a conclusion that the violent force-feeding of hunger strikers, incidents of excessive violence used in transporting prisoners and combinations of interrogation techniques "must be assessed as amounting to torture" - are likely to stoke U.S. and international criticism of the prison.

Well, there you have it - United Nations says, that US Interrogation Techniques used in Guantanamo (and everywhere else), count as Abuse, Torture and is in Violation of International Law.

Guardian - UN report calls for closure of Guantánamo

Prison breaks conventions on torture, say envoys

A UN inquiry into conditions at Guantánamo Bay has called on Washington to shut down the prison, and says treatment of detainees in some cases amounts to torture, UN officials said yesterday.

The report also disputes the Bush administration's legal arguments for the prison, which was sited at the navy base in Cuba with the purpose of remaining outside the purview of the US courts, and says there has been insufficient legal process to decide whether detainees continued to pose a threat to the US.

Want more Headlines?
Guantanamo called a ‘disgrace’ for America
Guantanamo report puts pressure on stubborn US
Close Guantanamo now

Related ATS Threads:
U.N Officials Request Access to Guantanamo Bay (moved from ATSNN)
Guantanamo Detainee Says Beating Injured Spine
NEWS: Mass Guantanamo Prisoner Transfer to Afghanistan Planned By US
Diary Extracts From Guantanamo Prisoner
NEWS: Third Prosecutor "Walked" Over Rigged Guantanamo Trials
NEWS: Leaked Emails From Prosecuters Claim Guantanamo Trials Rigged
Soldier Sues Over Guantanamo Beating
Cheney's Multi-$mil Guantanamo Bay Nest Egg
U.S. admits torture in Guantanamo, Iraq, Afghanistan
WAR: Classified Guantanamo Data CD Accidentally Returned to Convicted Translator
Mohammad Mazouz - Survivor of Guantanamo
Cheney: No Plans To Shut Down Guantanamo (moved from ATSNN)
NEWS: Suicide Attempts Increased at Guantanamo Since General Miller in Charge
Guantanamo captive 'worked with CIA'

Only to name a FEW threads from ATS - Ofcoures there are More!

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Well, there you have it - United Nations says, that US Interrogation Techniques used in Guantanamo (and everywhere else), count as Abuse, Torture and is in Violation of International Law.

What a crock of BS, they have never visted GITMO and are basing their opinion on rumors alone

The US has denounced a UN report on the US prison at Guantanamo Bay that has yet to be released, saying the authors never visited the camp and based their document on rumors.

Forbes

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Another link
US blasts UN report on Guantanamo prison

Home someone can say this is fact knowing they have never visted the prison is beyond me :shk:

[edit on 2/15/2006 by shots]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
There you go. How DARE the U.S. force feed hunger strikers...Let 'um die!

PUUULLEASE!

"Add it all up and it amounts to what you could call torture!"

Strongest condemnation of what could possibly be,maybe, sort of torture to dirt bag jihadists willing to kill you, me and our families for not following the same religion as them as I have ever heard.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

What a crock of BS, they have never visted GITMO and are basing their opinion on rumors alone

Testimony from confirmed former prisoners is not 'rumors'.

It is based on personal accounts, and our own admissions.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

From the Original Article:

The report, compiled by five U.N. envoys who interviewed former prisoners, detainees' lawyers and families, and U.S. officials, is the product of an 18-month investigation ordered by the U.N. Commission on Human Rights. The team did not have access to prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

Home someone can say this is fact knowing they have never visted the prison is beyond me

Well, do you Remember WHY they never Visited the Prison Camp Delta?

Let me just Refresh Your memory, by posting a Few News - and there are many more!

Access denied: US says UN can’t speak to Guantanamo prisoners

UN team denied free access to Guantánamo detainees

Rumsfeld Rejects UN Access to Guantanamo

Anyway - why DENY the Free Acess if you have Nothing to Hide?

Just can't Wipe Clean that BLOOD staind of the Walls and Floors?

[edit on 15/2/06 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
fist of all - Souljah is 100% anti american , all you have to do is read his post ... many many post i should say .
So it doesnt suprise me to see him start another thread thats anti american in some way .

second - when is the last time any prisoner from any prison anywhere in the world - has said anything good about being in prison ??.

of course they will all say they wer abused in some way or they didnt like the way they wer treated .

wich is what people like Souljah feed off of . especially if its anti american .

[edit on 15-2-2006 by Briggs]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

Testimony from confirmed former prisoners is not 'rumors'.

Testimony from who? Predominatly religous fanatics out to impose Islamic rule on the world. Yeah, ill take their word for it...

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Personally I ask, "Why do we bother to take prisoners in the first place?"
I mean how many American soldiers captured by Terrorist are in prisons?
What? Anyone? ................ UN Inspector talking to Al Quida guard,"What happen to this prisoner?" Al Quida guard, "Suicide!" UN Inspector,"But he's been beheaded?" Al Quida guard, "Yeah worst case of suicide I've ever seen!"

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Well, there you have it - the United Nations speaking out against
America (yet again) because America turned off the billions in
Oil for Food money the UN was getting in ILLEGAL payoffs
from Saddam .. and America turned off the ILLEGAL oil spicket
going from Iraq to Syria and Russia ... and America exposed
the UN for the corrupt, greedy cesspool that it is.

Yeah, I have no doubt that the UN is ticked at America for cutting
off the illegal flow of $$$ and now the UN is speaking lies against
us .. and THERE you have it.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

Wrong not according to some sources they claim the information came from the lawyers of detaines.

U.S. officials rejected the report, saying it was riddled with errors and treated statements from detainees’ lawyers as fact.
Source

also commenting on the report a UN spokesmans by the name of Nowak said

“It is a preliminary version,” Nowak said, refusing to comment on its substance. “This is an unauthorized preliminary report which might be changed.”
(Same Source as above)

Now if they are so sure why would the spokesman refuse to comment on the substance of the report? Answer because it might be changed thats why.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Well, do you Remember WHY they never Visited the Prison Camp Delta?

Yup sure do and unlike your sources this one clearly says the Un turned down the invitation

“The U.N. rapporteurs were invited to visit Guantanamo Bay, and they chose not to,” said Richard Grenell, spokesman for the U.S. mission to the United Nations in New York. “Had they visited, they would have found that there is no torture going on.”
MSNBC

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
OK, lets check out some more News about this Subject.

UN report damns Guantanamo jail

"The apparent attempts by the US administration to reinterpret certain interrogation techniques as not reaching the threshold of torture in the framework of the struggle against terrorism are of utmost concern"

So - what is it then? Are the Prisoners being Tortured or not?

BBC - Guantanamo Bay inmates 'tortured'

"The US government should close Guantanamo Bay detention facilities without further delay!"

Yes Indeed - if they do not nothing to Hide, why does the US goverment NOT reveal Detention Fascilites, hmmm?

UN inquiry demands immediate closure of Guantanamo

A United Nations inquiry has called for the immediate closure of America's Guantanamo Bay detention centre and the prosecution of officers and politicians "up to the highest level" who are accused of torturing detainees.

So, thats the Reason!

I Bet that the Politicians and "Highest Level" do not want yet another Scandals on their hands - so they do whats best for now: STALL.

U.N. Report: U.S. Tortures Detainees

The five experts sought invitations from the United States to visit Guantanamo Bay since 2002 and three were offered a visit last year. But they refused in November when they were told they would not be allowed to interview detainees.

So as you see, the UN experts were not allowed a FULL Investigation - and ofcourse not the most Important part, of Interviewing the Detainess.

UN report calls for closure of Guantanamo

In Guantanamo, the UN experts concluded that the US operated "as judge, as prosecutor, and as defence counsel", thereby violating their right to a fair trial before an independent tribunal.

Taking the Role of Judge, Jury and the Executioner, ey?

Not very Civil - but then again it's WAR right?

And there are no more RULES in War anymore - even if they were Written in the Geneva Conventions, which are just there, to remind us all, that NOBODY is CIVIL or HUMANE anymore.

Not even the United States.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

A UN inquiry says the treatment of detainees at Guantanamo Bay, which at times amounts to torture, violates international law

Souljah, you beat all!

www.frontpagemag.com...

nomayo.mu.nu...

www.thenewamerican.com...

www.aim.org...

www.foxnews.com...

www.rushonline.com...

Souljah, want more? Theres plenty more! You are using as your source the most corrupt Organization in the world....period! Oh, it's gotta be true since it is a negative report about the USA and the UN said so!

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
you cant argue with people like Souljah and expect some kind of

reasoning or logical debate to take place.

Souljah is just as fanatical as the fanatics .

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Testimony from who? Predominatly religous fanatics out to impose Islamic rule on the world. Yeah, ill take their word for it...

Honestly now, how do you know that? How do you know who is in Gitmo? No trials, no one accused of a crime, for all you know, they all could be innocent. Turned in for reward money by their neighbors. Or maybe they are crazed cannibals who deserves to be locked up? No one knows.

EDIT: Souljah, you'd make a great American patriot! Too bad there aren't many Americans like you.

[edit on 15-2-2006 by curme]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHOFLUNGGUM
Souljah, you beat all!

www.frontpagemag.com...

nomayo.mu.nu...

www.thenewamerican.com...

www.aim.org...

www.foxnews.com...

www.rushonline.com...

Souljah, want more? Theres plenty more! You are using as your source the most corrupt Organization in the world....period! Oh, it's gotta be true since it is a negative report about the USA and the UN said so!

You are Something!

Using FOX NEWS, FrontPageMagazine?

TALK ABOUT CORRUPT!!!

Well, if they Say so, it MUST BE TRUE, right?

If I am not mistaken, the current US Administration is in the Middle of all sorts of Corruptions, Scandals - if you are checking the News lately!

Anyway, wanna talk about Oil for FOOD?

“this posturing is nothing more than a hypocritical charade, designed to shift attention away from the debacle of George Bush’s self-made quagmire in Iraq, and legitimize the invasion of Iraq by using Iraqi corruption and not the now-missing weapons of mass destruction, as the excuse.”

The Oil-For-Food 'Scandal' is a Cynical Smokescreen

Oil for Food: What's the Real Scandal?

Oil-for-Food Scandal: U.S.-Led Attack on the UN or Proof of Corruption That Could Take Down Kofi Annan?

The Independent Inquiry Committee for Oil for Food Programme

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

OK, lets check out some more News about this Subject.

No lets stick to the facts rather then your obscured and at times biased sources if you do not mind.

So as you see, the UN experts were not allowed a FULL Investigation - and ofcourse not the most Important part, of Interviewing the Detainess.

So what? Can you show me where in the Geneva Convention it states we have to allow the UN to inspect and interview detainees?

As I recall that is the responsibility of the International Red Cross unless I missed a change.

the IRC in case you are not aware of it has been visiting the detainees every three months since 2002. Imagine that every three months they visited them and in most cases they said all was fine. (the only exception I know of was something about the Koran) Could this be a clear indication that they are being treated Humanely?

Surely if what the UN claims was true could be verified by the Red Cross but that has not been the case has it? Why I ask you; haven't the prisoners complained to the Red Cross about these allegations?

[edit on 2/15/2006 by shots]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is what gets me once again. I will acknowledge that there are surely some incidents of inhumane treatment committed by individuals. You can not hold a government or an entire military responsible for one mans actions. Look at what happened at Abu Ghraib. Those people were and are still being punished. Once again another sad episode of the blame game. Blame the entire US military for a fews independent actions.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
No lets stick to the facts rather then your obscured and at times biased sources if you do not mind.

Sadly the word FACTS means a Different Thing to you.

So I guess we will not come togather on a single issue, source of news in this lifetime.

So what? Can you show me where in the Geneva Convention it states we have to allow the UN to inspect and interview detainees?

US is Breaking Geneva Conventions by Abusing and Torturing the Detainees.

Furthermore, it is clear, however, that the US kidnappings and treatment of prisoners violates the international law and United Nations Convention Against Torture, which also US has ratified.

Could this be a clear indication that they are being treated Humanely?

Nope.

There are PLENTY more of Indications of Humane Treatment:

HRW - U.S. Human Rights Leadership Faulted
Teens held in Guantanamo
Guantánamo torture and humiliation still going on
The International Committee of the Red Cross find ABUSE in Gitmo

Guantanamo - The Gulag of Our Times

"Guantanamo has become the gulag our times, entrenching the notion that people can be detained without any recourse to the law. If Guantanamo evokes images of Soviet repression, "ghost detainees" – or the incommunicado detention of unregistered detainees - bring back the practice of "disappearances" so popular with Latin American dictators in the past. According to US official sources there could be over 100 ghost detainees held by the US."

Well thats Nice.

Even mister Rumsfeld Admited that there is Torture going on in Guntanamo - but that means nothing to you, huh?

Anyway, it is Nice to know that Brave Men in Gitmos around the World are doing their Best, so that the Evil Men are locked safe and sound.

MEANWHILE, the real Al-Qaeda members (or Al-CIAda) miraculously Escape from Maximum security prisons!

Whoops!

[edit on 15/2/06 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Souljah you Slovenian Sweetheart!

I think you and my countrymen thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being so concerned about the state of America. It just gives me the warm and fuzzies. So in the same concept of sharing the love less take a look at your wonderful place of obode.

From External Source

According to the U.S. Department of State's 2003 Country Report on Human Rights Practices for Slovenia, violence against women is an area of concern and is underreported.

From External Source

Slovenia is a transit country for human trafficking to Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands. To a lesser extent, it serves as a destination country for Eastern European trafficking victims. Trafficking in women is not criminalized specifically.

www.stopvaw.org...

Hum my caring friend seems that the opposite sex in your country are having a bit of a time with being sold into slavery and such! Let me give you a bit of friendly advise. You see here in this corrupt country that I live in , the USA, we generally listen when a women says no! We normally do not beat the crap out of her and then sell her to the Slave Traders. Sorry, but I felt since you are showing so much concern for my countries well being that I would repay the kindness!

[edit on 15-2-2006 by WHOFLUNGGUM]

edit to fix quote tags

[edit on 17-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join