It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsweek couldn't accept links between Iraq and Al Qaeda and dismissed the explosive information.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The media effort to undermine the rationale for the war in Iraq has taken an interesting twist. Faced with the release of government documents indicating a substantial connection between al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's Iraq, Newsweek has tried its best to dismiss or distort the evidence.

www.aim.org...

If the true evidence dosn't fit the media "playbook" it just ignores the truth. This article is just more evidence of the massive treason being committed in this country by "protected" icons of the past such as Newsweek and so many others............

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis
If the true evidence dosn't fit the media "playbook" it just ignores the truth.

How so very true. That's the way with today's modern media. Everything's got a spin, and if it doesn't fit properly, spin it till it fits or just drop the fact altogether.

The problem now for us normal average people is to sort out the spin from the fact, to find the truth that they did not mention. This is where it gets tough. What's the truth and what's not?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Beachcoma, is this the same media you watch, CNN etc?

Train

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'm lucky to get to watch CNN, BBC, Sky and al-Jazeera Arabic (with subtitles) in addition to the local news channels, so I can see the spin working in all the news media.

I refuse to believe any of their propaganda, rather make my own decisions, though I have to admit it's not very easy to resist the propaganda. Thankfully I get to watch the 'other side' if I feel I'm starting to fall for the other's spin and vice-versa.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It might be because both the CIA and the Czech BIS (who initially reported the possibility of a meeting) now say that it didn't happen? As does the 9/11 Commission report. Investigating it, they found that Atta was in Florida when the supposed "meeting" took place.

The nerve of Newsweek not reporting a false story!
I guess they should take a hint from right wing bloggers, who have reported the meeting as fact for years even though all the relevant parties now say it never happened.

A relevant quote from the linked article:

"One of the most dangerous things in this business is to start believing a report simply because it fits with your preconceptions and confirms what you always wanted to believe," a Czech intelligence source told UPI.

Indeed...

[edit on 2/15/06 by xmotex]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well if the news source reporting this still thinks that Czechoslovakia is a real country... so they must be right...

A member of the forum staff, Thomas Crowne, has noticed your one-line or less post in the thread,
Freedom of Speech and Islam.

We want to encourage meaningful responses to threads, and discourage simplistic posts. It can become discouraging for new members or guests to wade through too many short responses, just to get to content that continues the flow of thought. Please review this post, Warnings for one-line or short responses from our site owner, Simon Gray.

A token penalty of 20 points has been deducted from your account for this action. Please, in the future, make an attempt to provide more to the flow of conversation than a simple one-line or less comment.

Sorry for this slight slap-on-the-wrist. Hopefully you take this in the tone intended, as a reminder to make an effort to ensure our content is easy to read, access, and use by anyone who finds it.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Good find, thermo

This is the kind of information showing the media trying to mislead us.
Just the kind of topic that belongs in Deconstructing Disinformation & Deflection Forum!

[edit on 15-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Good find, thermo

This is the kind of information showing the media trying to mislead us.
Just the kind of topic that belongs in Deconstructing Disinformation & Deflection Forum!

[edit on 15-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

Thanks, but it would seem the discussion has fallen flat..........perhaps because it does not fit the template? Or worse, the truth is too scary to contemplate?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Maybe you needed a shorter, catchier title

I find it hard to believe anyone who read the article wouldn't comment.
Take a look at this, Newsweek deciding something wasn't believable and taking it upon themselves to debunk them

From your link, above:

Through the Freedom of Information Act, Newsweek obtained these documents. They demonstrate that top U.S. officials not only had evidence of links between al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, but evidence of a link between Iraqi intelligence and the top 9/11 terrorist.

But Newsweek didn't want to believe what was in these documents. So it found some anonymous officials who didn't trust the information and tried to cast doubt on them.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Maybe you needed a shorter, catchier title

I find it hard to believe anyone who read the article wouldn't comment.
Take a look at this, Newsweek deciding something wasn't believable and taking it upon themselves to debunk them

Maybe because it comes from "Accuracy in Media". Listen to the praise they have for Townhall :

Accuracy in Media: Townhall.com has helped us fill several critical job openings over the years. Their ability to attract qualified applicants is comparable to none. (Don Irvine, Chairman)
LINK

In fact, they are "Silver Partners" whatever the heck that means. Everyone knows Townhall, you see them quoted on ATS all the time by our friends on the far right. About Townhall:

Townhall.com is the first truly interactive community on the Internet to bring Internet users, conservative public policy organizations, congressional staff, and political activists together under the broad umbrella of "conservative" thoughts, ideas and actions. Townhall.com is a one-stop mall of ideas in which people congregate to exchange, discuss and disseminate the latest news and information from the conservative movement. Townhall.com is committed to inform, educate and empower the public through this emerging electronic medium.
About US

Accuracy In Media doesn't flaunt their conservative roots, that would destroy the illusion of it being an independent voice seeking, um, accuracy in media.

What shocks me is that every time some right-wing website has these great revelations, the White House never seems to mention it. I mean, it might help Bush's approval ratings if they actually used all of this evidence floating around the interweb.

But I guess that's why people love these sources, they say the things some people would love to hear, but the White House never says.

EDIT: Oh, look at Accuracy In Media's 'Link' page:

Blogs
Conservative Columnists
Conservative Organizations
Government/Politics
News/Talk Media
Shopping
Think Tanks/Misc.
LINKS

Since I'm a little late on my Valentine's Day shopping, I thought I'd click the 'Shopping' link and pick-up something nice!

The "I HATE THE 'FRENCH' VANILLA" from Star Spangled Ice Cream sounded good, but, who could resist the Bush Country t-shirt?

[edit on 15-2-2006 by curme]

join