It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocky

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am a huge Rocky fan, and would be happy to talk about anything to do with these movies if anyone is interested. Perhaps it's the disappointment of Rocky V, the sudden ageing of Rocky Junior or the reason why Rocky thought he was a liar in Rocky III. Whatever you like, let's discuss it.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Im a big Rocky fan too, are you expecting the new movies fight scenes to be a little more realistic this time?,what with Antonio Tarver being in it i mean they were a little far fetched in the first 5 lol.

Who is your favourite Rocky opponent? mine has to be Apollo Creed and my favourite fight is Rocky vs Apollo in Rocky I

And I too was a little dissapointed in Rocky V it tried to get back to the roots of Rock I what with Adrian going back to the pet shop and the flash backs, it felt Kinda like one of thosse simpsons episodes where they just throw old bits in I thought it was done poorly . BTW are you a Boxing fan in general or just a fan of the films?

8th

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Being Italian, a lot of people used to joke and call me "Italian Stallion" and whatnot. I liekd the movies but watched all of them when I was pretty little. Do you mind giving a very short description of each one? I can never remember which Rocky is which when I go pull out the collection lol. Thanks

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8th
Do you mind giving a very short description of each one? I can never remember which Rocky is which when I go pull out the collection lol. Thanks

Rocky I - Rocky is a street enforcer for a loan shark and club fighter , Mickey the old trainer sees his potential and Rocky fights Apollo Creed (carl Weathers) when he decided to offer a challange to a local fighter, Apollo picked Rocky out of a line up of potential opponents and liked the Name "the Italian Stallion". the fight is a draw. also the relationship beetween Rocky and Adrian developes in to love.

Rocky II- Rocky retires for the sake of Adrian(i think because she is pregnant at this stage) but despite an eye inury fights Apollo in a rematch , adrian falls in to a coma this gives rocky the desire to fight again and he becomes world champion.

Rocky III-Rocky enjoys the rewards of his new status as world champ , hes taking easy fights (as mickey the trainer admits) whilst clubber Lang (mr T) is rising to the top "you got your shot now gimme mine"etc Lang beats Balboa by KO but causes the death of Mickey prefight in a press scrum, Rocky lies to Mickey that he won the fight as he lays dying in the dressing room. rocky basicly then searches his soul and works with Creed as his trainer to come back and beat Lang.

Rocky IV- Rocky takes on Ivan Drago " you will lose"(Dolph Lundgren) after Drago kills his mate Apollo in a brutal "exhibition fight" its sort of a east meets west cold war kinda showdown,Rocky defeats Drago in Russia.

Rocky V-Rocky is brain damaged from the pummeling hes had in the previous films:bash: and cant fight any more hes also broke having got poor financial advice he goes back to the old streets with his son and Adrian, meets Tommy Gunn (Tommy Morrison... I think) trains him up whilst being goaded in to fighting again by a dodgy Don King wannabe promoter Tommy goes off with him and the lure of big money after rock had trained him,and it ends with a bare knuckle fight outside Mickeys gym in which Rocky wipes the floor with Gunn.

Ive left a lot out but thats a basic summary

8th

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Awsome, thanks man. Now I wont have to put each one in and guess, "Which one does he fight Drago..." hahaha.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
buckaroo:
After Rocky V I'm not really interested in seeing the new Rocky movie. I really only consider there to be 4 Rocky movies. Apollo would probably be my favourite too. He just has so many good lines, especially in Rocky II. It is pretty hard to seperate the fights in I & II but Rocky I probably just edges it out in my mind. I wouldn't say that I'm a boxing fan, but I do like Mohammad Ali and I followed Mike Tyson in his prime also.

My favourite part in all of the Rocky movies is Rocky's reaction to the news that Adrian is sick. He drops everything to help her and shows his true character. What about yours?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Rocky IV would have to be my favorite. The passing of Apollo, Rocky avenging his friend, the America vs. Russia theme behind all of it.

Never before did the David. vs. Goliath analogy fit more perfect than in this match. The best thing about this fight I thought is that it was the most realistic. Everytime I watch it I think these guys really duked it out for 15 rounds.

Yeah Rocky V was forgettable, and unfortunately Rocky VI will probably not due the series any justice either. As long as we can say its better than V I would be happy as I don't see it topping any of the other installments.

You guys here that Sly fired his own son from being in the film, his kid was set to star as Rockys son in the film, but I guess it wasn't realistic enough.

Does anybody like Pauly? Hes a drunk bum who has been moochin off the Rock for years... I wish this new movie was.. Rocky vs. Pauly.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I would probably have to say the relationship between Rocky and Adrian in Rocky I, its awkward, what with Rocky being a little inarticulate and Adrian being very shy but its done in a clever and understated way, when Adrian finally stands up to her brother and tells him that she is not loser also stands out.

Also I love Mr T as Clubber in Rocky III and some of Mickeys quips throughout the first 3 films "Because you can't win, Rock.This guy'll kill you to death inside of three rounds"(in Rocky III) Mickeys death I suppose is another obvious highlight where Rocky lies to him about losing to Lang,

- Mick? - What?
- Mick? - Wh... what? Wh-wh-what?
- Is it over? - Yeah. Yeah, it's all over.
Hey, listen. What happened?
It was a knockout.
- What round? What round? - Second round.
Yeah, I knew it. That's good.
- We did it, huh? - We did it. We did it.
You don't have to worry about nothin' no more.
Everything's gonna be OK, Mick.
- Yeah. Rocky, we did it. - You gotta get to hospital.
You ain't as young as you used to be, OK?
You know what?
We did everything right. I did everything right?
Listen, you done everything right.
Listen, we got more to do. Mick, whatever you wanna do,
we'll do it, OK?
I love ya, kid. I love ya..

Source for Rocky III quote
www.script-o-rama.com...

Another interesting link;

www.totalrocky.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">http...://www.totalrocky.com/main/

[edit on 15-2-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

You guys here that Sly fired his own son from being in the film, his kid was set to star as Rockys son in the film, but I guess it wasn't realistic enough.

I did not know that LOL ,but Hulk Hogan got fired from wwe for playing Thunder lips in Rocky III

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Just about everything that comes out of Mickey's mouth is pure gold! How about him having a go at Rocky inside the chappel? Apollo's "You can call me collect", is also pretty special. How the hell did Rocky Jnr go from being 7 when he was watching the fight with Drago, to being 14 when Rocky got home from Russia after the fight?

I've got the 25 year aniversary disk of Rocky I and they mention a number of mistakes that they purposely left in the movie:

Rocky's baggy robe wasn't supposed to be baggy.
The poster of Rocky was supposed to be white shorts with a red stripe.
The ice-skating rink was supposed to be open but they couldn't afford it.

I still get goosebumps when I see the judge reach 10 in Rocky II and Rocky's manages to stand up. He goes from a bum fighting Spider Ricoh in a club to champion of the world. Inspiring stuff, even if it is made up!

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Rocky IV for me was the best one! It was a great film when you was smaller, as you thought Rocky might actually loose a fight! But of course he never does lol

"If he dies, he dies" - classic quote

Also enjoyed Rocky III I believe which had Hulk Hogan and MR T in it.

Rocky V was a big disapointing as I thought Tommy Gunn didn't look like a good boxer

Anyone played the Rocky Computer game on the Playstation2 ? Great game if you like the film

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
How many times do you reckon you've watched each movie? My guess is over a thousand times for all 4 movies combined. Pretty sad, but I just never get sick of it! There are slow parts in each movie that I am tempted to fast-forward past and sometimes I do:

Rocky I: The whole first kiss with Adrian part in Rocky's apartment.
Rocky II: When Rocky's trying his luck at alternative careers.
Rocky III: Everything between Rocky's loss to Clubber Land until the "I'm afraid" talk on the beach with Adrian.

There's not really much to Rocky IV, just a couple of fights and music to fill in the voids, so it's pretty easy to sit through the whole thing.

Rocky V: Everything until Elton John's "Measure of a Man" in the closing credits.

Other Sly movies that have Rockyesque qualities are First Blood (Part 1 only) and Lock Up. I don't kknow why Lock Up has such a bad name, it such a good movie.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed how bad Sly's acting was in Rocky V? It was as if he could put on a believable performance in the original Rocky because in real life he was similar at the time, however by the time Rocky V came around he could no longer relate to his earlier self, thus had to rely solely on his acting ability. Unfortuantely he is not a great actor. I am not one to notice bad acting usually, but I could not go past this, and that's probably the main reason why I have such a hard time accepting thta Rocky V is part of the quintology. That and the ridiculous thought that Rocky would lose everything he had in the space of a few weeks. Apart from that the story is probably ot that bad.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm here to wave the flag for Rocky V.
The movie has many flaws but it is the film along with the original that I find myself being drawn back to when I feel like watching a Rocky film. It seems to have more things going on in it rather than training,fighting and finnishing winning in the ring.
I like the fact that it didn't end up with a victory in the ring like the first four.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The original Rocky didn't end with a victory in the ring, well not as far as the official result goes anyway. This is one of the greatest aspects of the first movie. The fact that the hero loses the fight. How did they pull that off?

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I stand corrected regarding the original Rocky. Maybe thats why I mentioned it as well as Rocky V as the films in the series that I seem to come back to more often. Support the underdog.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It did end with a victory of sorts, as he said to Adrian before the fight that he just wanted to go the distance, which he did. So I guess he achieved his goal.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I'm watching Rocky right now, and according to Gazo you can look up people's names, like DelReo in the dictionary! So much wisdom is locked within.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
That Rocky,
You know he ain't punchy. He's just got what they call a 'relaxed brain'.
ayyyee, oohhh.
That Gazo,
Just your friendly neighbour hood. But has much wisdom to impart.
Some people just hate for no reason, capish!

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You know you're like a crazy brother to me, you really are. I'm gonna tell you something Paulie, and this is coming straight from the heart. You ant DOWN, and you aint a LOSER, you're just a jealous, lazy, BUM!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join