It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roadside bombs. How they are used and who is deploying them. Tactics, methods, etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
www.nxtbook.com...

On pages 30 to 32 it provides a better view of how the IEDs are being used and the tactics the insurgents used and how the U.S. military is trying to counter them. Its a very good reading that I recommend it that you read it since it can help you get a sense of idea how the attacks by IEDs is the most deadly weapon to U.S. forces, committing most of the U.S. casualties. Doesn't take long to read, if you are a fast reader.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Not so sure how they are made but they must be very easy to make if they are always used. Could be iranians supplying them up to what ive heard or some local militia gangs making them from chemicals n stuff.

Anyway, Check out this video!

media.putfile.com...

[edit on 15-2-2006 by Browno]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
Not so sure how they are made but they must be very easy to make if they are always used. Could be iranians supplying them up to what ive heard or some local militia gangs making them from chemicals n stuff.

[edit on 15-2-2006 by Browno]

IED's can be made of most things from flour to fertilliser to plastic explosive.
detonators would be harder to get hold of but i know at least 2 people who could make explosives if they wanted to and im a 16 year old school kid.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Imagine if Iraqi insurgents could actually use their explosives wisely, instead of making car bombs etc. Shaped charge and directed blast mines are just as easy to make as "blunt" bombs... it takes a 5 minutes to make a improvised heavy claymore that can sewer a humvee from 100m away...

Out here most troops a trained to build "IEDs" or like we say improvised defencive explosives (sounds more politically correct)

BTW why iraqis aren't using AT track mines? 10kg AT mine (easy to make) can blow up a bradley....

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Imagine if Iraqi insurgents could actually use their explosives wisely, instead of making car bombs etc. Shaped charge and directed blast mines are just as easy to make as "blunt" bombs... it takes a 5 minutes to make a improvised heavy claymore that can sewer a humvee from 100m away...

BTW why iraqis aren't using AT track mines? 10kg AT mine (easy to make) can blow up a bradley....

I assume the iraqi insurgents dont use AT mines because PE can be split up easily to be smuggled through almost any check point but a AT mine cant.

The iraqi insurgents dont use there explosive wisely because there are many groups often lead by mullahs with no millitary training or people who only know about ak-47's and maybe RPG's but not PE. Also Millitaries around the world give there demolitian experts expert training but the insurgents dont have any expert training to give, so shaped charges and directed balst mines which are simple to the us army are a lot more complicated to them.

Justin

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Justin_Barton

Basic AT mine is basically 10kg slab of TNT coupled with a very crude pressure trigger, it can be easily made from smaller charges at the scene...

Hollow charge Bottom mines and side mines are more complicated and they have to be complete solid HE bodies to function properly...

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
then the reason they dont use them must be the second reason i stated then.

Justin

top topics

join