It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IED Neutralizer!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ionatron Inc. has a vehicle that has a success rate of destroying 9/10 IED's.
Its called the Joint IED Neutralizer (JIN). The DoD has ordered a dozen of them for under a million apiece.

Real-Life Ray Gun
US to Use Directed Energy on IEDs in Iraq

This is a pretty cool little unit, it creates a lightning bolt that zaps the IED, causing it to blow up...and since the JIN is armored and 30 feet away from the blast, it shouldn't get damaged.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
sounds good

hope it works, the us need to find solutions to IED's soon, this sounds like a good answer.

Justin

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
But it won't work if the IED is inside a metal box or other conductive material.
And I think we need something a little more portable.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Looks like it could burn a few britches, but what to do with the guys with the explosives strapped to themselves.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
what is 10 going to do?, think of all the IEDS that are around the country and the ones that are being planted now through the streets or roads without being noticed, IMHO this won't make a difference.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It probably can be shielded against maybe. These will have to be replaced everytime it explodes a "IED" because the IED will just blow up and take this thing with it. Which means it is not very cost effective and probably a waste of resource. But the US is good at wasting resources, so i'm sure we will be seeing thousands of destroyed anti-IED golf carts scattered all over Iraq.

You would think you could just avoid potential IED's, like not driving around in hostile countries like Rambo. Or getting your money's worth out of the scientists and come up with a way to detect these things. Until then, prepare to run over bombs I guess.

[edit on 18-2-2006 by ImplementOfWar]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Detecting IEDs with technology is difficult.

I participated in a study evaluating different bomb detection methods, and none were truly satisfactory. Another problem with solutions like the one proposed is that it assumes you've identified a potential IED. However, when IEDs can be hidden under newspapers, inside potholes, etc., you can literally start to see IEDs everywhere. There was an interesting photo of an IED that was basically and artillery shell encased in concrete.

Currently, our best bet seems to be jamming the detonation methods. The preference is obviously wireless technology such as improvised cell phone detonators(call to blow), and radio frequency systems. We can jam those signals which helps to some extent.

The kinds of units we need are systems like Sniffex(google it). We need small portable solutions that don't require a whole lot of processing power.

The most difficult part of the threat is that its very adaptable. You can easily make a large container of fuel an improvised incendiary device. Also, in an IED threat scenario, the vehicle is moving directly AT the threat. You need enough detection range to identify the threat AND give the convoy time to respond. You also need it to be directional once you get enough range or you've just got something that tells you there's a bomb a mile away....could be to the side, could be to the front, not particularly useful if you don't know exactly where. Especially given the saturation of the threat in Iraq...with RPG rounds stockpiled everywhere and bomb making shops hidden in houses.

It's an ugly situation.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
That thing just looks like an RPG / Bullet magnet.

I heard that they were detecting them with UAV photos. They would take current photos of the area and overlay them with older ones. If any rocks or any other objects move or randomly appear near a roadside, there's your IED.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
just another waste of money, too big, too expensive, ied battle in Iraq cannot be won

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
They need electronic noses to sniff them out on the wind along with a Neutron Projector to locate their exact location and then once that's all done then they use say a water cannon or something similiar to neutralize them before anything happens.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
the problem with this type of technology is its too specific for 1 threat and too damn expsive to replace or upgrade and too technologically complex to modify on a regular basis. problem with this type of technology is that it assumes the IED is always going to remain the same type of designs as they are now. IED's evolve with experiance and get more advanced to meet different situations like we have seen recently shaped charges are being used against vehicles becuase the old stuff wasnt working. this trucks will become useless after a few weeks/months in iraq when rebels modify there designs to become resitant.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Joint IED Neutralizer. It is interesting invention, but can it actually detect mine or IED? If it can't, then there is not much use of it, because there is no problem in destroy IED when you already know where is it. I think the idea is to destroy IED from safe distance, but you can just shoot IED without using any fantastic technology.

There is one technology that russians and some other nations use to detect mines since WW2 till present days and it works pretty effective. The name of this incredible device is .... DOG. They even can notice plastic explosives and mines, which usial metal detectors don't see.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bozorgh
what is 10 going to do?, think of all the IEDS that are around the country and the ones that are being planted now through the streets or roads without being noticed, IMHO this won't make a difference.

I assume that these 10 are only prototypes and that if they are successful then the us will order more but even 10 will make a difference. if each IED kills 5 people, and each IED netraliser destroys 9 IED's then thats 45 peoples lives saved per truck. as the us have brought 12 thats 108 lives saved overall

just another waste of money, too big, too expensive, ied battle in Iraq cannot be won

IED battle in iraq cannot be won but it can be lost by less.

why is everyone on this site anti IED netralisers? Do you want american soldiers coming home in body bags or in uniform. Sounds to me like you want more dead soldiers. The us army do something to protect its soldiers and you criticise them like they were killing us soldiers.

Justin

top topics

join